COVID-19 Starbucks lobby closed.

Anchorage has independent coffee carts practically on every corner and the mayor actually apologized for shutting them down because Alaskans are seriously addicted to caffeine.
When my daughters came to visit me in NJ they were always frustrated by how little decent coffee there was and that they had to make do with Starbucks, which is fine in a pinch but not something you want to make a habit out of.
@commiecorvus

Attachments

• 952FE9BA-03ED-4ADC-9126-AE1624109308.png
    952FE9BA-03ED-4ADC-9126-AE1624109308.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 53916A57-1BCC-40A5-BABD-C282AF8B99B0.png
    53916A57-1BCC-40A5-BABD-C282AF8B99B0.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Obviously, the Seattle area has massive numbers of espresso bars. Many have shut down for the duration. I don't drink caffeinated beverages anymore but I'm not typical of Seattleites.

Thanks for finding those pictures @Hardlinesmaster
Here are a few more.
Just to give folks a general idea of the number and variation of stands here.
This is just a few, like I said they are everywhere.

another-fairbanks-drive-up-coffee-shack.jpg

coffee-2b.jpg

My youngest worked at the Common Grounds for a good portion of the time she was going to college (and waited tables, its not cheap to be a teacher).

17137413_G.jpg

l.jpg

alas52288.jpeg

coffee+7b.jpg

32a62e0e82e620a33175543ccb30cc35.jpg

Some even have hot girls making your coffee.
But being good looking is not nearly as important as making sure that the coffee is good.

img_1708.jpg

l.jpg

Java-Juggs-TV.jpg

Last edited:
So who's got the best coffee? I like a rich, bold dark roast. ☕

Also, turnabout is fair play...how about something for the ladies? Percolating Pecs? Latte Lotharios? Cappuccino Casanovas?

Last edited:
So who's got the best coffee? I like a rich, bold dark roast. ☕

Also, turnabout is fair play...how about something for the ladies? Percolating Pecs? Latte Lotharios? Cappuccino Casanovas?

The bikini Girls cart has Bikini Guys too but I couldn't find any pictures so you will have to settle for the espresso stand in Seattle.

t_1a1f588d01984b909f1f1f3065287f41_name_Screen_Shot_2019_09_19_at_5_14_54_AM.png

Our Starbucks closed Monday. They put the tables across the entire entrance and piled the chairs on top of the tables so it looked like the baristas were about to do a low budget version of Les Misérables.

They removed the chairs a couple of days later and just left the tables. Most of the baristas are now on the cleaning crew.

Thanks for finding those pictures @Hardlinesmaster
Here are a few more.
Just to give folks a general idea of the number and variation of stands here.
This is just a few, like I said they are everywhere.

another-fairbanks-drive-up-coffee-shack.jpg

coffee-2b.jpg

My youngest worked at the Common Grounds for a good portion of the time she was going to college (and waited tables, its not cheap to be a teacher).

17137413_G.jpg

l.jpg

alas52288.jpeg

coffee+7b.jpg

32a62e0e82e620a33175543ccb30cc35.jpg

Some even have hot girls making your coffee.
But being good looking is not nearly as important as making sure that the coffee is good.

img_1708.jpg

l.jpg

Java-Juggs-TV.jpg
I would love to work in a cute little coffee shop like this!! Only thing that comes closest around here is dutch bro’s but that place literally has a line 30 cars deep wrapped around the whole parking lot from open to close and I don’t think my anxiety would be able to handle that lol

Funny thing here: your grandparents' generation -- the folks from the era of the Vietnam War and '70s - drank a LOT of coffee. However, it was NOT from Starbucks or fancy espresso bars. For 99% of coffee drinkers in that era, they brewed coffee at home using either a coffee maker (Mr. Coffee or similar) or a stand-alone coffee percolator. The coffee brewed was the canned mass-produced coffee sold under names like Maxwell House, Folgers, MJB etc. It was very inexpensive to drink. If they were away from home, most casual sit-down restaurants (like Denny's or IHOP) which today are called "diners" were then called "coffee shops"! They sold hot brewed coffee for very cheap prices as a "loss leader" to sell lunch or dinner meals or a slice of pie. People in that generation certainly weren't lacking for caffeine, it just was more basic. If you wanted to fancy it up, you added cream, sugar or if you were real creative added some honey, hot cocoa or whipped cream to your brewed (or "drip") coffee.

In your grandparents' era, if you ventured to a university campus near the student union building, you might find one or two gourmet espresso vendors offering lattes, mochas, capuccinos and (most common) straight-shots of espresso! Starbucks itself was founded in 1972 as a whole-in-the-wall business across from Seattle's Pike Place Market. The gourmet coffee industry as we know it today, pioneered by Starbucks, really didn't take off until the very end of the 1980s and early 1990s.

I worked at a campus coffee shop during college; we sold coffee, iced coffee (poured over ice in a beer mug) & Turkish coffee (thick, strong & sweet in a demitasse cup) with donuts from a well-know local bakery.
The daily deal was a cup with a free refill & a donut for $1.65 in 1980.

I managed what you might call a specialty hamburger place in the beginning of the 80's.
We were a bit ahead of the curve (which was probably why we went out of business).
We ground our own burger which was locally sourced (sometimes had to pick out the shotgun pellets), hand cut our fries, made our shakes from scratch, baked our buns, and had a burger bar where you could put your own toppings and sauces on your burger.
We also got coffee beans, ground them ourselves, and kept the coffee in airpots rather then on then on the burner, which was still a new thing in Alaska.
I remember a lady returning her coffee because it tasted 'funny' and when we explained all the details, she said "Well it sure as hell ain't Folgers."
Which was kind of the point but it takes time to change peoples tastes and being ahead of a trend can be painful.

Was that Fuddruckers? I loved that place, then it shut down. Years later reopened but as a steak place.

Any know or heard any communication about a tentative date for Starbucks in Targets to reopen?

The Starbucks lobby is also closed in our city. I don't even know if I can get a takeaway coffee right now there. Unfortunately, I got sick with coronavirus and for more than a month I have not left the house. Thank God I decided to buy a coffee maker after reading the ninja coffee maker review. I can't start my day without coffee, and until I got sick, I went jogging every morning to Starbucks, where I bought a big cappuccino. I hope the Starbucks lobby has already opened because it's been so long...I'm already too tired of this lockdown ...

Last edited:
Back