Starbucks opening but no drinks allowed on the sales floor?

We start this tomorrow. I don't see how it will work at all. I'm just SFS but I am not about to tell Karen she can't drink her iced half-caf chai venti latteccino whatever while she tries on sunglasses and feels up all the patio furniture.

Our Starbucks has been open for a week and no such rule. Are you sure this isn't just for TMs? No way to policy this on guest, if so what is the point of opening Starbucks. What is stopping a guest from purchasing a bottle of water/soda and drinking it? Or bring in their own bottle and drinking it?

We start this tomorrow. I don't see how it will work at all. I'm just SFS but I am not about to tell Karen she can't drink her iced half-caf chai venti latteccino whatever while she tries on sunglasses and feels up all the patio furniture.
No drinks on the sales floor is for team members not guests

Our Starbucks has been open for a week and no such rule. Are you sure this isn't just for TMs? No way to policy this on guest, if so what is the point of opening Starbucks. What is stopping a guest from purchasing a bottle of water/soda and drinking it? Or bring in their own bottle and drinking it?
Nope, not just for TMs. The "Starbucks welcomes you, but no food or drinks on the floor, sorry for the inconvenience" signs have been up for a week in preparation. Arrows taped on the floor showing direction from door to Starbucks back to door. They had their team meeting a couple days ago. I don't know what instructions they were given, but the rest of us (market, SFS, GM, style, etc.) have been told nothing other than they can't have food and drink on the floor. I am so glad I'm off tomorrow 'cause I'm pretty sure it's going to get ugly.

Nope, not just for TMs. The "Starbucks welcomes you, but no food or drinks on the floor, sorry for the inconvenience" signs have been up for a week in preparation. Arrows taped on the floor showing direction from door to Starbucks back to door. They had their team meeting a couple days ago. I don't know what instructions they were given, but the rest of us (market, SFS, GM, style, etc.) have been told nothing other than they can't have food and drink on the floor. I am so glad I'm off tomorrow 'cause I'm pretty sure it's going to get ugly.

This is a great idea.
It may get ugly but this only makes sense.
Why the hell would you be wearing a mask on the floor if you are drinking coffee at the same time.
Just buy it on the way out and drink it in your car, for fucks sake.
You don't get the wander around the store for two hours like the old days now.
That's just not how it works anymore.

Wow! Had no idea. I guess it makes sense, but it would make even more sense to just not open back up in that case since Starbucks is in stores to drive sales not to have guests come in and leave lol 😂

As I'm somewhere over age 45, I remember the years when stores DID NOT allow food and drink, but actually allowed customers to smoke cigarettes. Stores had ashtrays around the sales floor. Customers could smoke in grocery stores, clothing stores, drug stores, hardware stores, furniture stores and the vast majority of other types of businesses, but drinking beverages was either not allowed or was frowned upon because you might spill coffee or food on something like furniture. As a kid, I always thought that was kinda strange.

In my area of the country (Washington State), indoor smoking prohibitions started showing up in health care facilities only in 1984 (!). Indoor smoking restrictions in government buildings came into being in 1987-88. Over the following 5 years, private-sector workplaces, retail stores and shopping malls started banning or sharply limiting indoor smoking. (I seem to recall that in 1993 customers, and team members, could smoke in the Target Food Avenue or whatever it was called then, but not in the rest of Target).

Government-mandated restrictions on private-sector indoor smoking were passed by the State Legislature in stages starting in the mid-1990s. Tobacco lobbyists were very strong in Olympia and had a lot of pull with legislatures until the mid-1990s.

Last edited:
I remember when we could fire up a Lucky Strike on an airplane. I did while flying on an Eastern Airlines 727 to Columbia, S.C. in the late '60s.

If you're a mask mandatory state, then you're not allowed to drink Starbucks inside the store.
Exactly. Our store has signage letting guests know that we'd love them to enjoy their delicious Starbucks beverages as they leave as we regret they cannot dip them in the store.

This is a great idea.
It may get ugly but this only makes sense.
Why the hell would you be wearing a mask on the floor if you are drinking coffee at the same time.
Just buy it on the way out and drink it in your car, for fucks sake.
You don't get the wander around the store for two hours like the old days now.
That's just not how it works anymore.
But they DO still wander around the store for two hours. Old, young, pregnant, families with kids and babies. People just don’t care. It’s maddening. At least they’re wearing masks (state mandate).

My state doesn't require mask wearing. So I guess that is why people are allow to walking around with drinks and food.

It is definitely a emerging and contradictory problem. I really appreciate when people wear their masks correctly but even my team members can't do that. We could be in for a rude awakening as people start to give less of a fuck about this. I really hope not.

Well not in charge of my store. All the Target in the area is still allowing food and drinks on the sales floor 🤷

Back