Archived Starting Orientation Next Week! Already talk of being cross- trained! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have been reading a lot of these threads and they are all so helpful! Finally got the call to start orientation next week at Target and I am really excited but nervous so I decided to ask some questions. I just graduated high school and this is my first job, I really want to do it well. I am going to begin training as a cashier which I am excited about. Plot twist though, at my second interview I was told I would also be cross-trained as a Starbucks barista as well. Is this a good thing? I'm really nervous about the barista part because I don't want to mess up drinks, I feel like it is a lot to learn. I have also read a lot of threads about the pressure of getting good speed scores, checking for fraud coupons, grumpy guests and selling red cards? Should I be worried? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you:)

Don't worry. You may be getting trained to cover breaks in Starbucks, as it is part of the front end. You will probably focus on cashier training first. Starbucks can be intimidating at first, but it's fun too. Also, if you work half your shifts as a barista, you get payed more. I think it's a good thing. Welcome to Target.

From guides thread:
Good stuff:

Decaf box
X = Decaf
1/2 = Half Decaf

Shots box
R = Ristretto
1 = Single
2 = Double
3 = Triple
4 = Quad
FR = Frappuccino Roast

Syrup/Sauce box
C = Caramel Syrup
CH = Chai Concentrate
CD = Cinnamon Dolce
CL = Classic
CR = Caramel Sauce
H = Hazelnut Syrup
HZ = Hazelnut Sauce
M = Mocha Sauce
P = Peppermint
R = Raspberry
SFC = Sugar-Free Caramel
SFCD = Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce
SFH = Sugar-Free Hazelnut
SFM = Sugar-Free Mocha
SFV = Sugar-Free Vanilla
TN = Toffee Nut
V = Vanilla
WM = White Chocolate Mocha Sauce

Milk box
B = Breve (half-and-half)
HC = Heavy Cream
N = Nonfat/Skim Milk
S = Soy Milk
WH = Whole Milk

Custom box
AJ = Apple Juice
ASK = Ask Me
BT = Black Tea
CHIP = Frappuccino Chips
CHP = Chocolate Powder
CNP = Cinnamon Powder
CR = Caramel Sauce (topping)
CRM = Cream
BLx2 = Double blended
D = Dry
XT = Extra Tea
F = Foamy
GT = Green Tea
HANDOFF = Alternate handoff
HN = Honey
ICE - Ice
K = Kid's beverage
Lt = Light (in front of other code)
LM = Lemonade
M = Mocha Sauce (as topping)
MT = Matcha Green Tea Powder
TOP = No topping
PT = Passion Tea
ROOM = Room
SL = Sweet'n Low
SP = Splenda
SR = Sugar in the Raw
STIR = Stirred
ST = Strawberry Juice
SUG = Sugar
U = Upside down
VP = Vanilla Powder
VB = Vanilla Bean Powder
H20 = Water
W = Wet
WC = Whipped Cream
X = Extra (in front of other code)
XH = Extra Hot
= = Equal
/ = No (placed over other code)

Drink box - Blended and Shaken Beverages
Frappuccino Blended Coffee
CF = Coffee
CRF = Caramel
CVF = Caffe Vanilla
EF = Espresso
JCF = Java Chip
MF = Mocha
WMF = White Chocolate Mocha

Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee
CFL = Coffee Light
CRFL = Caramel Light
CVFL = Caffe Vanilla Light
EFL = Espresso Light
JCFL = Java Chip Light
MFL = Mocha Light
WMFL = White Chocolate Mocha Light

Frappuccino Blended Creme
CHCF = Tazo Chai Creme
DCCF = Double Chocolatey Chip
GTF = Green Tea
SF = Syrup Creme
STCF = Strawberries & Creme
VBF = Vanilla Bean

Other Blended Beverages
BSL = Blended Strawberry Lemonade
CS = Chocolate Smoothie
SS = Strawberry Smoothie
OMS = Orange Mango Smoothie

Tazo Shaken Ice Teas
PT = Shaken Passion Iced Tea
PTL = Shaken Passion Tea Lemonade
PGTL = Shaken Peach Green Tea Lemonade
GTL = Shaken Green Tea Lemonade
GT = Shaken Green Iced Tea
BT = Shaken Black Iced Tea
BTL = Shaken Black Tea Lemonade

Drink box - Starbucks Refreshers beverages
BHR = Verry Berry Hibiscus
CLR = Cool Lime
VOR = Valencia Orange

Drink box - Hot and Cold Beverages
A = Cafe Americano
BC = Brewed Coffee
C = Cappuccino
CAS = Caramel Apple Spice
CDL = Cinnamon Dolce Latte
CH = Tazo Chai Tea Latte
CIT = Tazo Custom Iced Tea
CM = Caramel Macchiato
E = Espresso
ECP = Espresso con Panna
EM = Espresso Macchiato
GRTL = Green Tea Latte
HC = Hot Chocolate
HM = Hazelnut Macchiato
IC = Iced Coffee
L = Caffe Latte
M = Caffe Mocha
MILK = Cold Milk
MIS = Caffe Misto
SCR = Syrup Creme
SKCDL = Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte
SKHM = Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato
SKSL = Skinny Syrup Latte
SM = Steamed Milk
T = Tazo Tea
BLTL = Tazo Black Tea Latte
EGTL = Tazo Earl Grey Tea Latte
VRTL = Tazo Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte
TMIS = Tea Misto
VCR = Vanilla Creme
WHC = White Hot Chocolate
WM = White Chocolate Mocha

Holiday/Seasonal Drinks
CBL = Caramel Brulee Late
CRCF = Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino
ENL = Eggnog Latte
GBL = Gingerbread Latte
MCCF = Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
CCCF = Chocolate Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
PM = Peppermint Mocha
PSL = Pumpkin Spice Latte
SCM = Salted Caramel Mocha
SCHC = Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
I know I'm missing some..just can't remember any more!
Redeye

All of the Starbucks training will come in time. I'm fairly new to Starbucks and when I first started, I was overwhelmed as well. I'm about a month in and I'm fairly confident in my barista abilities so far.

When you're making drinks, don't be afraid to ask people certain questions about what to make and how to make them. My baristas helped me when I was unsure and eventually, I learned through repetition. Customers typically have a good idea of what they want and they can sometimes explain it if you ask them to clarify.

Along with that, a Starbucks core item is beverage cards which go step by step to make specific drinks. For example, for a Caramel Macchiato it'll explain what milk to use, how many shots of espresso per drink size, what syrup to use and how many pumps per drink size, and the correct steps to make it. They were fantastic for my training and from my understanding, most Starbucks should have them as a reference. The only downside to using them is that they may slow you down if you have to keep reading and then execute them. But it's better to take your time and learn the correct steps instead of rushing and making mistakes and have habits based on those mistakes.

The thing I love about Starbucks is that time goes by fairly quickly when you're making drinks. You'll also get to sample the menu as part of the training and you try the new drinks before they're released.

Don't be discouraged. You'll pick it up and I'm positive you'll do a great job. :)

Can't say anything about Starbucks- never worked over there and I don't even drink coffee! But don't sweat the cashier training!

You'll probably develop a thick skin pretty quickly and be able to roll your eyes and laugh at grumpy guests (once they walk away, of course!) and the whole speed score thing isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. We have a few older ladies who are cashiers, and they'll talk a guest's head off, and they still end up in the 70% range. Granted, 70% isn't good, but I'm using it as an example to prove that even if you're really bad at the cashier process, you'll probably still be "good enough"

RedCards are a whole different game. I was only ever scheduled for a single cashier shift- the rest were just short backup things and even that hasn't happened in the past 8-9 months now that I'm backroom, so I really never got the hang of the redcard thing. Just make sure you have a trainer explain the sign up process in detail and mentally rehearse it a few times.

I was never once shown how to sign someone up for a redcard- I was just told to pitch them to guests. ...so the one time a guest took me up on it I totally panicked and I'm still not sure it actually went through! I actually ran in to TSC with the lady's drivers license to track down my STL to help me finish the sign up :eek::eek::eek: (seriously...could I have screwed that up any more if I tried?!)

But again- point being- I totally screwed that up...and it was okay. :) Now I can see that I wasn't properly trained and I should have kind of stood up for myself and "demanded" proper training (ie. asking politely for someone to go over the process)

Target puts a major emphasis on redcards, so just make sure you understand that sign up process and you'll be golden!

In regards to fraud and whatnot, trust your gut. If you spend much time on a checklane you're going to miss some stuff- it's a given, so don't beat yourself up over it, and don't preemptively stress over it. There are many posts on here that mention shoplifters will intentionally choose the checklane that's being held down by a rookie, knowing they'll be easier to fool. So focus on becoming a confident cashier/team member, and your fraud-detection skills will naturally develop over time.

Welcome, by the way :)

All of the Starbucks training will come in time. I'm fairly new to Starbucks and when I first started, I was overwhelmed as well. I'm about a month in and I'm fairly confident in my barista abilities so far.

When you're making drinks, don't be afraid to ask people certain questions about what to make and how to make them. My baristas helped me when I was unsure and eventually, I learned through repetition. Customers typically have a good idea of what they want and they can sometimes explain it if you ask them to clarify.

Along with that, a Starbucks core item is beverage cards which go step by step to make specific drinks. For example, for a Caramel Macchiato it'll explain what milk to use, how many shots of espresso per drink size, what syrup to use and how many pumps per drink size, and the correct steps to make it. They were fantastic for my training and from my understanding, most Starbucks should have them as a reference. The only downside to using them is that they may slow you down if you have to keep reading and then execute them. But it's better to take your time and learn the correct steps instead of rushing and making mistakes and have habits based on those mistakes.

The thing I love about Starbucks is that time goes by fairly quickly when you're making drinks. You'll also get to sample the menu as part of the training and you try the new drinks before they're released.

Don't be discouraged. You'll pick it up and I'm positive you'll do a great job. :)

Thank you so much! This helps a lot, especially with the nerves. I'm really excited to work at Starbucks and can't wait to learn everything, it just seems a little intimidating at first. I have high hopes that my target trains me as well as yours did. Getting to test taste the drinks definitely is a plus I would say to!

Can't say anything about Starbucks- never worked over there and I don't even drink coffee! But don't sweat the cashier training!

You'll probably develop a thick skin pretty quickly and be able to roll your eyes and laugh at grumpy guests (once they walk away, of course!) and the whole speed score thing isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. We have a few older ladies who are cashiers, and they'll talk a guest's head off, and they still end up in the 70% range. Granted, 70% isn't good, but I'm using it as an example to prove that even if you're really bad at the cashier process, you'll probably still be "good enough"

RedCards are a whole different game. I was only ever scheduled for a single cashier shift- the rest were just short backup things and even that hasn't happened in the past 8-9 months now that I'm backroom, so I really never got the hang of the redcard thing. Just make sure you have a trainer explain the sign up process in detail and mentally rehearse it a few times.

I was never once shown how to sign someone up for a redcard- I was just told to pitch them to guests. ...so the one time a guest took me up on it I totally panicked and I'm still not sure it actually went through! I actually ran in to TSC with the lady's drivers license to track down my STL to help me finish the sign up :eek::eek::eek: (seriously...could I have screwed that up any more if I tried?!)

But again- point being- I totally screwed that up...and it was okay. :) Now I can see that I wasn't properly trained and I should have kind of stood up for myself and "demanded" proper training (ie. asking politely for someone to go over the process)

Target puts a major emphasis on redcards, so just make sure you understand that sign up process and you'll be golden!

In regards to fraud and whatnot, trust your gut. If you spend much time on a checklane you're going to miss some stuff- it's a given, so don't beat yourself up over it, and don't preemptively stress over it. There are many posts on here that mention shoplifters will intentionally choose the checklane that's being held down by a rookie, knowing they'll be easier to fool. So focus on becoming a confident cashier/team member, and your fraud-detection skills will naturally develop over time.

Welcome, by the way :)

Well if chatty Kathys are able to score decent enough on the speed tests, then hopefully I have nothing to worry about! Thank you! I am definitely going to have my trainer go into a lot of detail about Red Cards. Everyone stresses them so much in these posts and threads I would hate to do it wrong. We live and we learn though so hopefully I have it down. Thank you for all the help! Developing thick skin and confidence I think will definitely develop with experience. Thank you:)

From guides thread:
Good stuff:

Decaf box
X = Decaf
1/2 = Half Decaf

Shots box
R = Ristretto
1 = Single
2 = Double
3 = Triple
4 = Quad
FR = Frappuccino Roast

Syrup/Sauce box
C = Caramel Syrup
CH = Chai Concentrate
CD = Cinnamon Dolce
CL = Classic
CR = Caramel Sauce
H = Hazelnut Syrup
HZ = Hazelnut Sauce
M = Mocha Sauce
P = Peppermint
R = Raspberry
SFC = Sugar-Free Caramel
SFCD = Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce
SFH = Sugar-Free Hazelnut
SFM = Sugar-Free Mocha
SFV = Sugar-Free Vanilla
TN = Toffee Nut
V = Vanilla
WM = White Chocolate Mocha Sauce

Milk box
B = Breve (half-and-half)
HC = Heavy Cream
N = Nonfat/Skim Milk
S = Soy Milk
WH = Whole Milk

Custom box
AJ = Apple Juice
ASK = Ask Me
BT = Black Tea
CHIP = Frappuccino Chips
CHP = Chocolate Powder
CNP = Cinnamon Powder
CR = Caramel Sauce (topping)
CRM = Cream
BLx2 = Double blended
D = Dry
XT = Extra Tea
F = Foamy
GT = Green Tea
HANDOFF = Alternate handoff
HN = Honey
ICE - Ice
K = Kid's beverage
Lt = Light (in front of other code)
LM = Lemonade
M = Mocha Sauce (as topping)
MT = Matcha Green Tea Powder
TOP = No topping
PT = Passion Tea
ROOM = Room
SL = Sweet'n Low
SP = Splenda
SR = Sugar in the Raw
STIR = Stirred
ST = Strawberry Juice
SUG = Sugar
U = Upside down
VP = Vanilla Powder
VB = Vanilla Bean Powder
H20 = Water
W = Wet
WC = Whipped Cream
X = Extra (in front of other code)
XH = Extra Hot
= = Equal
/ = No (placed over other code)

Drink box - Blended and Shaken Beverages
Frappuccino Blended Coffee
CF = Coffee
CRF = Caramel
CVF = Caffe Vanilla
EF = Espresso
JCF = Java Chip
MF = Mocha
WMF = White Chocolate Mocha

Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee
CFL = Coffee Light
CRFL = Caramel Light
CVFL = Caffe Vanilla Light
EFL = Espresso Light
JCFL = Java Chip Light
MFL = Mocha Light
WMFL = White Chocolate Mocha Light

Frappuccino Blended Creme
CHCF = Tazo Chai Creme
DCCF = Double Chocolatey Chip
GTF = Green Tea
SF = Syrup Creme
STCF = Strawberries & Creme
VBF = Vanilla Bean

Other Blended Beverages
BSL = Blended Strawberry Lemonade
CS = Chocolate Smoothie
SS = Strawberry Smoothie
OMS = Orange Mango Smoothie

Tazo Shaken Ice Teas
PT = Shaken Passion Iced Tea
PTL = Shaken Passion Tea Lemonade
PGTL = Shaken Peach Green Tea Lemonade
GTL = Shaken Green Tea Lemonade
GT = Shaken Green Iced Tea
BT = Shaken Black Iced Tea
BTL = Shaken Black Tea Lemonade

Drink box - Starbucks Refreshers beverages
BHR = Verry Berry Hibiscus
CLR = Cool Lime
VOR = Valencia Orange

Drink box - Hot and Cold Beverages
A = Cafe Americano
BC = Brewed Coffee
C = Cappuccino
CAS = Caramel Apple Spice
CDL = Cinnamon Dolce Latte
CH = Tazo Chai Tea Latte
CIT = Tazo Custom Iced Tea
CM = Caramel Macchiato
E = Espresso
ECP = Espresso con Panna
EM = Espresso Macchiato
GRTL = Green Tea Latte
HC = Hot Chocolate
HM = Hazelnut Macchiato
IC = Iced Coffee
L = Caffe Latte
M = Caffe Mocha
MILK = Cold Milk
MIS = Caffe Misto
SCR = Syrup Creme
SKCDL = Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte
SKHM = Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato
SKSL = Skinny Syrup Latte
SM = Steamed Milk
T = Tazo Tea
BLTL = Tazo Black Tea Latte
EGTL = Tazo Earl Grey Tea Latte
VRTL = Tazo Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte
TMIS = Tea Misto
VCR = Vanilla Creme
WHC = White Hot Chocolate
WM = White Chocolate Mocha

Holiday/Seasonal Drinks
CBL = Caramel Brulee Late
CRCF = Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino
ENL = Eggnog Latte
GBL = Gingerbread Latte
MCCF = Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
CCCF = Chocolate Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
PM = Peppermint Mocha
PSL = Pumpkin Spice Latte
SCM = Salted Caramel Mocha
SCHC = Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
I know I'm missing some..just can't remember any more!
Redeye

Are these the labels a barista would write on the cup while taking a customers drink order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back