Staying late for zoning and go backs.

I have a concern at my store. All my other cashiers (most of which don't want to post on here, so I'm voicing this for them) and I have a concern about breaks. Obviously if you're working more than 6 you're required a lunch and one 15 at my store. But here's our concern. I was scheduled 4:30-12:30 a few nights ago, along with a few other cashiers. We all got our lunches after 7:45pm so nobody went into compliance. But, they DID keep us until 2:15am doing go backs and zoning (we had a visit the next morning) but, because our shifts were scheduled as 7.5 hours after our lunches got taken out, they did not give any of us that 2nd 15 minute break, even though they knew they were keeping us almost an extra 2 hours. My lunch being at 7:45, came back at 8:16. So I had to work from 8:16-2:15 without taking a break (AND came back at 8:00am to work the service desk on little to no sleep)

Is this legal? Can they get away with that?

Also, another concern, we think they're shaving hours off of what we worked. I calculate my hours work (with the staying after closing included) and mine is always about 3-5 hours more than my pay statement says I worked; typically just about the amount of hours worked past closing each week, though I have no proof, working on that now, got a little composition book to log my punches, hours worked vs the punch clocks hours worked, the MyTime punches and hours worked, vs my pay statements. Will report back on this one ASAP.

I have a concern at my store. All my other cashiers (most of which don't want to post on here, so I'm voicing this for them) and I have a concern about breaks. Obviously if you're working more than 6 you're required a lunch and one 15 at my store. But here's our concern. I was scheduled 4:30-12:30 a few nights ago, along with a few other cashiers. We all got our lunches after 7:45pm so nobody went into compliance. But, they DID keep us until 2:15am doing go backs and zoning (we had a visit the next morning) but, because our shifts were scheduled as 7.5 hours after our lunches got taken out, they did not give any of us that 2nd 15 minute break, even though they knew they were keeping us almost an extra 2 hours. My lunch being at 7:45, came back at 8:16. So I had to work from 8:16-2:15 without taking a break (AND came back at 8:00am to work the service desk on little to no sleep)

Also, another concern, we think they're shaving hours off of what we worked. I calculate my hours work (with the staying after closing included) and mine is always about 3-5 hours more than my pay statement says I worked; typically just about the amount of hours worked past closing each week, though I have no proof, working on that now, got a little composition book to log my punches, hours worked vs the punch clocks hours worked, the MyTime punches and hours worked, vs my pay statements. Will report back on this one ASAP.
Keep us posted. I too suspect this happens at my store

Keep us posted. I too suspect this happens at my store

Beginning my logging Sunday. Discussed this with other TMs this week, figured I'd start on a fresh pay period which starts this Sunday. Two others are logging theirs as well. Will keep you posted, might even post day by day what we have, then post the hours from my paystub when I get it so everyone here sees what's going on.

I do not believe it is illegal but it is against Target policy. Although making sure you are taking your breaks and lunches are YOUR responsibility. So once YOU knew that you were staying later, you should have voiced that you needed a second break.

Is it possible that you had any miss punches? That could be one reason u lost some on your paycheck.

I do not believe it is illegal but it is against Target policy. Although making sure you are taking your breaks and lunches are YOUR responsibility. So once YOU knew that you were staying later, you should have voiced that you needed a second break.

Is it possible that you had any miss punches? That could be one reason u lost some on your paycheck.
I constantly check for missed punches, and HR is on our asses about fixing them if it happens. And the cashiers at our store have a meeting with the GSTL or the ETL GE if we're caught taking a break that isn't on the cashier breaker's sheet. So if we try taking one because we know we're staying late, we get in trouble for it.

And I also work hardlines sometimes, and they pull the whole "now I can't tell you not to take your 15 minute breaks, but we've got a lot of zoning to focus on and some pretty big pulls tonight, so you might choose not to take them today"

I constantly check for missed punches, and HR is on our asses about fixing them if it happens. And the cashiers at our store have a meeting with the GSTL or the ETL GE if we're caught taking a break that isn't on the cashier breaker's sheet. So if we try taking one because we know we're staying late, we get in trouble for it.

And I also work hardlines sometimes, and they pull the whole "now I can't tell you not to take your 15 minute breaks, but we've got a lot of zoning to focus on and some pretty big pulls tonight, so you might choose not to take them today"
When you are calculating are you using take-home pay or the gross pay?

Like I said, if i was in your shoes, once 11 or 12 hit and i knew i was staying longer. I would have communicated to the LOD that i would be needing my second break and when he would like me to take it. If he was to say no second break, then you would not take it and then go to HR.

Not if you are a cashier.... Cashier's breaks are decided by the computer.

Everyone's breaks are ESTIMATED by the computer. If i took my break when the computer said then i would have only 30 mins to pull my BTS-office batch along with the other 15 Cafs that drop.

Everyone's breaks are ESTIMATED by the computer. If i took my break when the computer said then i would have only 30 mins to pull my BTS-office batch along with the other 15 Cafs that drop.

Most LODs don't post the break out for breaks for the HL team. They says you are in charge of your breaks.

But whenever I'm a cashier, they always have a sheet with highlighters that they use for breaks.

Most LODs don't post the break out for breaks for the HL team. They says you are in charge of your breaks.

But whenever I'm a cashier, they always have a sheet with highlighters that they use for breaks.
Cashiers are the only ones that use the system generated breaks, cause the system uses details from last years sales every hour to determine when cashiers are needed or not.
So with your logic, if i was a cashier from 12-5, with 1 break scheduled at 3:15. if i was asked to stay for another 2 hours because store is blowing up with people that I should not take a lunch because it is not on the posted break schedule?

Cashiers are the only ones that use the system generated breaks, cause the system uses details from last years sales every hour to determine when cashiers are needed or not.
So with your logic, if i was a cashier from 12-5, with 1 break scheduled at 3:15. if i was asked to stay for another 2 hours because store is blowing up with people that I should not take a lunch because it is not on the posted break schedule?
Trust me, at our store, the GSA/TL make the breaks. I've watched them make the breaks. But like I said earlier, you get a sit down meeting if you add your own breaks when extending your shift. That's what I don't understand. If you're working 12-5 like you said and stay an extra 2 hours, they immediatelu make us take a 30. They refuse to let us take extra 15s if we stay later though.

Trust me, at our store, the GSA/TL make the breaks. I've watched them make the breaks. But like I said earlier, you get a sit down meeting if you add your own breaks when extending your shift. That's what I don't understand. If you're working 12-5 like you said and stay an extra 2 hours, they immediatelu make us take a 30. They refuse to let us take extra 15s if we stay later though.
I would have communicated to the LOD that i would be needing my second break and when he would like me to take it. If he was to say no second break, then you would not take it and then go to HR.<< i will repeat myself.

That's not what I meant. If you have to stay longer, you have to let the GSA or LOD know that you have to take your lunch and they will plan on it.

If you have a 5 hour shift, and end up staying later, putting you past 6 hours, the GSA, GSTL, ETL, or LOD make sure you take the lunch. But the point I'm making is if we're scheduled a 7.5 hour shift, they don't schedule us a 2nd 15 minute break. So, if we're closing, and have a scheduled 7.5 hour shift, and end up staying for 9 hours total after closing and staying after, they refuse to give you the 3rd break. We have said something to them about it. One TM actually said "Well you won't give me another 15 because I'm only scheduled 7.5 hours even though you want me to work past closing, I'm going to leave at 12:30 then, since, you know, I'm only scheduled to work until 12:30"

For that, he no longer closes the store, and never gets scheduled more than 5,5 hours. They refuse to give you/let you take that extra break for working the extra time, and you're apparently not allowed to leave at you're scheduled time in that situation either. (And I read somewhere that Spot is against retaliation for things like that, so much for that one, right?)

Now I'm not sure if the breaks are different in other stores, where the computer generates the cashier breaks. But our opening GSA/GSTL makes the breaks themselves. While the days I have worked hardlines, there is a computer generated graph that has the breaks. It's consistent with the breaks, for example, if you work 8.5 hours in hardlines, you get your 1st 15 after 2.25 hours, your lunch at 4.5 hours, and your last 15 at 6 hours, every single time. Where as if you're working a 5 hour shift, you get your 15 after 2.5 hours. Our hardlines and softlines breaks are computer generated at that exact rate every day, while our GSA/TL makes their own cashier breaks. (I am close friends with my GSTL outside of work and that was confirmed. They come in at 7:00am to make the breaks, set up the registers, grab the Guest Service walkie/PDA from the office, make sure the receipt/coupon papers are stocked etc)

If you have a 5 hour shift, and end up staying later, putting you past 6 hours, the GSA, GSTL, ETL, or LOD make sure you take the lunch. But the point I'm making is if we're scheduled a 7.5 hour shift, they don't schedule us a 2nd 15 minute break. So, if we're closing, and have a scheduled 7.5 hour shift, and end up staying for 9 hours total after closing and staying after, they refuse to give you the 3rd break. We have said something to them about it. One TM actually said "Well you won't give me another 15 because I'm only scheduled 7.5 hours even though you want me to work past closing, I'm going to leave at 12:30 then, since, you know, I'm only scheduled to work until 12:30"

For that, he no longer closes the store, and never gets scheduled more than 5,5 hours. They refuse to give you/let you take that extra break for working the extra time, and you're apparently not allowed to leave at you're scheduled time in that situation either. (And I read somewhere that Spot is against retaliation for things like that, so much for that one, right?)

Now I'm not sure if the breaks are different in other stores, where the computer generates the cashier breaks. But our opening GSA/GSTL makes the breaks themselves. While the days I have worked hardlines, there is a computer generated graph that has the breaks. It's consistent with the breaks, for example, if you work 8.5 hours in hardlines, you get your 1st 15 after 2.25 hours, your lunch at 4.5 hours, and your last 15 at 6 hours, every single time. Where as if you're working a 5 hour shift, you get your 15 after 2.5 hours. Our hardlines and softlines breaks are computer generated at that exact rate every day, while our GSA/TL makes their own cashier breaks. (I am close friends with my GSTL outside of work and that was confirmed. They come in at 7:00am to make the breaks, set up the registers, grab the Guest Service walkie/PDA from the office, make sure the receipt/coupon papers are stocked etc)

Here's the blunt reality of it: you could call the hotline, report your ETLs, try to get them in trouble for violating company policy, and hope it goes your way. It could also go the other way, backfire on you, and turn all of your ETLs and team leads against you.

And that whole 'no retaliation thing' is NEVER enforced. EVER... by ANYONE.

Are they violating company policy? yes. Are they in the wrong? yes. Can they get away with it scott free? ABSOLUTLEY! target is corrupt and crooked as shit - how do you think it makes money?

Is your store using MyTime? Before ours kicked in, we noticed discrepancies like that on the schedule... two identical schedules by two team members in the log zone... one said 38.75 hours total and the other said 37.75. It had to have been human error calculating totals. I haven't seen that issue with MyTime.

I surprised no other store follows the 2-2-2 break system that target has, also if u work on a saturday and stay past 12 your hrs after 12 get rolled over.

I'll never forget the time during Christmas my Hardlines Team lead took volunteers to take lunches so we could rebuild toys, (it was bad and uncontrollable) I think only 2 of us did. We both took lunches, came back and somehow we finished on time, losing 45 minutes of pay

LOL

I'm nearly positive that it's against policy to force you to do anything not on the written schedule (they can ask, but they cannot force you), and also that TMs CANNOT voluntarily skip breaks. People do, of course, but I know there's a sign in our TSC that states you can't do that.

Most people find it pointless to take breaks after the store is closed, but if you're staying late to the point where you deserve a break, you should be getting it.

Use your phone to log your time and compare to mytime at the end of the week. Check the app store I just looked on google play and there are a bunch of time clock apps there.

As a former GSTL, I can tell you when myTime rolled out at our store, we threw the paper with estimated breaks away. We still schedule our cashier breaks ourselves because myTime doesn't do it correctly (i.e. if you are scheduled start to finish 7 hours, myTime would say 6.5 and make you think you don't get another break, therefore it wouldn't schedule it). If the GSTL is pushing your break for any reason outside of the 4-4.5 hour mark, they should be communicating with you about it. MyTime DOESN'T work, and all it has caused it problems. BRING BACK MAX!!

lol they are not allowed to not let you take your breaks! i admit that sometimes i skip my second break.. for instance.. i worked 4-12:30 today.. i took first break at 6am. lunch we didnt get to go till almost 10 because we had to push the truck... so by the time i got back it was 10:30... NORMALLY we take our last break at 11 but i just got back.. and toys is a disaster because we were pulled from it at 7 am... so no i didnt take a break.. but I always tell my team members its break time and they make their own mind up. some people just dont like taking a last break .. i dont have a problem with that and im not going to force someone but i always make sure they know that they can take it. i dont like this whole game of people trying to take their break at 12:15 and then going home at 12:30.. no way luckily im plano so i control my teams breaks. at the front end they hve a whole breakout sheet and if you arent getting your breaks id be voiving my concern. standing up there is killer on the feet.. you need to sit down

Back