Staying late for zoning and go backs.

I have a concern at my store. All my other cashiers (most of which don't want to post on here, so I'm voicing this for them) and I have a concern about breaks. Obviously if you're working more than 6 you're required a lunch and one 15 at my store. But here's our concern. I was scheduled 4:30-12:30 a few nights ago, along with a few other cashiers. We all got our lunches after 7:45pm so nobody went into compliance. But, they DID keep us until 2:15am doing go backs and zoning (we had a visit the next morning) but, because our shifts were scheduled as 7.5 hours after our lunches got taken out, they did not give any of us that 2nd 15 minute break, even though they knew they were keeping us almost an extra 2 hours. My lunch being at 7:45, came back at 8:16. So I had to work from 8:16-2:15 without taking a break (AND came back at 8:00am to work the service desk on little to no sleep)

Is this legal? Can they get away with that?

Also, another concern, we think they're shaving hours off of what we worked. I calculate my hours work (with the staying after closing included) and mine is always about 3-5 hours more than my pay statement says I worked; typically just about the amount of hours worked past closing each week, though I have no proof, working on that now, got a little composition book to log my punches, hours worked vs the punch clocks hours worked, the MyTime punches and hours worked, vs my pay statements. Will report back on this one ASAP.

I have always been told...that Spot can ASK you to stay past your scheduled time but they cant MAKE you stay . I also know that Spot can be a little childish at times and try guilt trips and or make their famous comments about cutting your hours if you don't stay. I think its unfair that Spot would think that anyone would want to stay till 2 am then be back at 8 .....I would call your state labor board and ask them...and if they say that no laws are being broken...I would call the hotline. ...if enough of you get together and call the hotline and keep calling it...I assure you something will change.

So i work a ten hour shift and when my time is up i want to go home but i am told that i have to stay till the job is 90% done but we have more employees that come in at 5 pm and they are scheduled to be there late so can i get fired for leaving at the ten hour mark ?

Legality doesnt really matter if your not willing to stand up and so no to staying. Or step up and demand you 15min break. Alot of the crap this company gets away with centers arround coeing their employees with fear mongering tactics. Legal or not it hapoened. Next time decide ahead of time and say no I need to be off at my scheduled time. Tell them what you got done and your headed to clock out.
Laws dont advocate for us. They only protect the golden parachute holder. You need to be able and willing to respect yourself first.

The mgmt crew at the Original Neptune was cool, we'd stay extra time. Easy cash. If you felt like taking a break, you went. No issues. No idea how it is now and frankly I don't give a rats ass.

No leader at my store has ever made me feel like I had to stay or tried to guilt me into it, and none have ever denied breaks.

Your leaders are not passive aggressive manipulative assholes.. My store is full of them. "you don't need that second break, do you?" is an actual question I have been asked more than once.
That is disgusting, shame on them. What a morale killer. I REMIND my team to go on break. I want them refreshed and happy.
I tell them -“good work so far, you earned a break - see ya in 15”.
Exception: The other day a tm wanted to finish something and worked through till shift was just about over so I told him he deserved a break - he had 10 minutes left to his shift so I asked he he would like to take a 15 and stay an extra 45 min. after that - he was happy for the extra hour added to his shift and glad he didn’t forfeit his break. wouldn’t make a habit of that but he was assembling a patio set and had parts everywhere - pretty glad he finished up and didn’t leave all that while he went on break.

Back