Stepping down ?

Curious question , ETl here. I’ve been having a lot of family issues where someone is getting sicker and I myself have been having some issues .

I enjoy target and what I do , but I’m worried it’s gonna start effecting my performance .

Anyone ever see it get done before ? And or what I should say with out retaliation ? I’ve helped team leaders step down just not sure how to navigate it for myself.

I have only seen one etl step down and that was after being in the job for 2 weeks. Surprised they even let them do it. I guess it's theoretically possible but would probably make you go to another district so probably not worth it. Intermittent loa might be something to consider as well

I think @Ashfromoldsite stepped down, but I could be misremembering. We have an ETL in my area who stepped down (after several years). She is loving life with less stress. It is going to depend on your DSD and whether or not there is a store who can/will take you.

I’m a “high “ potential ETL -rolls eyes- so I imagine they wouldn’t want to lose me . But clearly nervous to even bring it up . Been with Target for over 10 years . So not looking for something new just with the family health issues and know my own I’m just concerned about my ability to continue working the length of times and random time offs

My phone didn’t capitalize the L . I’ve been with target for over 10 years lol. Been a etl for the last 6

My phone didn’t capitalize the L . I’ve been with target for over 10 years lol. Been a etl for the last 6
Got it . Talk to your Sd and hrpb . We all go thru things in life and to be honest Target is not worth it if your personal life is being affected . I hope whatever is going in your personal life gets better soon.

Curious question , ETl here. I’ve been having a lot of family issues where someone is getting sicker and I myself have been having some issues .

I enjoy target and what I do , but I’m worried it’s gonna start effecting my performance .

Anyone ever see it get done before ? And or what I should say with out retaliation ? I’ve helped team leaders step down just not sure how to navigate it for myself.
It is possible. It all depends on wether your DSD and HRBP are inhuman coorporate drones or note. A lot of the time higher leader likes to screw over their junior leaders because they have to “adhere to muh coorporate rules” bs. Sorry to sound negative, but that’s just been my experience. Hopefully things works out for you.

I think @Ashfromoldsite stepped down, but I could be misremembering. We have an ETL in my area who stepped down (after several years). She is loving life with less stress. It is going to depend on your DSD and whether or not there is a store who can/will take you.
You are correct. I’ve been a tl, an etl, then stepped down and punched the clock for 15 more years.
Edited to add: they changed my pay to the max pay a tm can receive. So instantly I had to achieve the highest review scores to get any raise. (Which wasn’t hard after being an etl, but still annoying).

Last edited:
It's happened twice at my store in the 10+ years I've been there. The sticky part is that you won't be allowed to stay at your same store in a reduced position, even if it's voluntary. But if you want to stay with Target, this is a way to do it. As far as I know, there were no hard feelings.
Another option might to take a leave of absence? If it's to care for an ill family member, you can use the FLMA.

negative is fine , or I wouldn’t have asked . It’s more or less trying to decipher how to ask.

Thought about FMLA but it’s so random , and the lucky part for me is district lines are near each other . Clearly being as vague as one can be lol , even made another account for this lol .

Have a talent call in the following month so figured that would be a good time to chat about it . My current SD , they are a cute word I can’t say here lol

Intermittent loa or FMLA seems worth considering for a better long-term outcome than stepping down, since stepping down would be a big financial hit, and, at least in my area, retaliation does seem to happen, because senior management seem to consider stepping down as a slap in the face to them. If you take leave and it doesn’t work out, asking to step down will be a lot easier, since you tried another alternative first, which may make retaliation less severe, plus you have a ready-made opening to bring up the subject, “My leave doesn’t seem to be helping…”. In any case, I hope your and your family member’s health issues improve and all goes well for you all. Good luck!

It's happened twice at my store in the 10+ years I've been there. The sticky part is that you won't be allowed to stay at your same store in a reduced position, even if it's voluntary. But if you want to stay with Target, this is a way to do it. As far as I know, there were no hard feelings.
Another option might to take a leave of absence? If it's to care for an ill family member, you can use the FLMA.
Do it during your BUS

You are correct. I’ve been a tl, an etl, then stepped down and punched the clock for 15 more years.
Edited to add: they changed my pay to the max pay a tm can receive. So instantly I had to achieve the highest review scores to get any raise. (Which wasn’t hard after being an etl, but still annoying).
You became a regular TM? Not even in the TL role? Damn. Can I ask why?

100% Retention of trained leadership is the 2023 goal for HR. Of course, that's the most unattainable goal, lol. As said it will depend on the DSD, but your SD has pull too. Are you in good standing with the SD? Can you step down to a TL capacity in store and still be a support in a way that if you need to lead unexpectedly it won't cause chaos? Would a LOA be a solution, then come back? Think of the questions before the conversation with your SD, but also have some solutions to keep yourself in good standing at your store and district level leadership. Ultimately, there is a business that needs to be ran. Don't go in and talk feeling down, talk on a good day for you ;)

100% Retention of trained leadership is the 2023 goal for HR. Of course, that's the most unattainable goal, lol. As said it will depend on the DSD, but your SD has pull too. Are you in good standing with the SD? Can you step down to a TL capacity in store and still be a support in a way that if you need to lead unexpectedly it won't cause chaos? Would a LOA be a solution, then come back? Think of the questions before the conversation with your SD, but also have some solutions to keep yourself in good standing at your store and district level leadership. Ultimately, there is a business that needs to be ran. Don't go in and talk feeling down, talk on a good day for you ;)
This explains a lot about an unexpected attitude shift towards some people from the upper management at my store. 😂 I was convinced I slipped into an alternate reality the other day.

Back