Archived Store alignments

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been at the RDC for a bit now, but I haven't yet understood how stores are aligned. My RDC doesn't service most stores in our home state, even ones within 30 miles away, yet we got a couple stores that are three states away with several other RDCs that are much closer that could probably service those stores quickly (and more cheaply) than us. So why is it so?

The only thing I could see it being is due to your location. *edit* Or, Or, Or....

For instance if you are farther away from an IW/Deconsolidator thats more time for that freight to get to you and then to the store vs hitting the closest DC and getting it on the road that much sooner, (im guessing those local stores may be more high volume).

Also some trailers(cans) can't leave the state they are registered to, so instead of the deconsolidator/IW swapping freight from a can to an actual trailer to send it to your DC they just send it to the DC in state to avoid extra handling.

OR! those stores move more specific large items that in the long run make it more efficient in a long term manner.

OR! it has to do with the price of the carriers.

If you really want to min max with things like this I could totally see why considering all the price factors that come into play, it's just very algorithmic though which target doesn't seem to do very often. So uh.. I duno for sure.

In conclusion I'm not sure why I haven't gotten my bachelors in something stupid like half the GL's that walk through the door and gone on to something better : P

Thanks a ton Mr. Trowa (Barton? GW FTW)
Follow-up question: So I do happen to be at one of the few RDC's that also have an IW in-state. Do the IW's load OB trailers to stores we don't service or do they only service the RDC's? I honestly don't know much about IW's.
Furthermore, I might become a religious man if I ever get a GL that's a supply chain (or a similarly relevant) major :p.

Barton indeed : )

The IW I work at doesn't, and considering that IW's are really nothing more then glorified storage sites, I don't think any of the others do either. Savana might? Maybe? (doubt it)I know they do dot.com there as well as IW and I doubt Rialto dose since they have a DC so close to them. On top of that volumes are abysmal right now for the IW's (maybe not so much Rialto, not sure) so it would be pointless for them to try and send anything to the store.

You might just want to hold off on the conversion though, I've had a few GL's who have been trained in logistics and it's not been any better. The two great GL's I have had didn't have logistics degrees but did understand the fine line between being "target brand" and being quite frank with the team about the simple things that just need to get done. Oh and they understand that the tools (macros) they have are not the be all of how to staff and use them as guides rather then commands.

I'll stop before I end up on a rant, had a rough day on the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back