Archived Store Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
This early Spring our store is set to go thru pfresh remodel.
There have been some changes that have been mentioned. Some things make sense, while others don't. Moving GS & SSSakes sense.....but moving electronics to the fitting room? Changing our shoe area makes sense....but changing HBA?

I went on workbench to see if I could find anything about how our store is going to be remodeled, but never could find our store #.

Can someone tell me where I can go on workbench to see what's going to happen?

Keep in mind that while I have access to workbench, I can't go anywhere that requires any special access. Thanks!

Usually they set up a final layout map (usually in the conference room). They should also have sketches of the various stages & should provide temp maps as the layouts change. During our remod, I got to where I'd get some graph paper & do a rough draft each day (when I was front end) so I could tell everyone where to go........find things, that is.

Thanks! I'll check in the conference room......maybe it is just too early for the maps to be in our store yet.

I just know that it ought to be soon. Our remodel is supposed to be done by the time school is out for the summer.

Ours started in the summer while the kids were out.
Talk about a freakin' mess....
You'll have an ETL-remod who should be able to provide diagrams & answer questions.
Good thing about remods: an abundance of payroll. TMs help with all the non-contract labor: fixture takedown/set-up, guarding doors, boxing up product when an area is relocated, directing guests/answering questions about merch locs, etc.

Will there be a lot of people (new TMs I guess) hired on just for the remodel?

Will there be a lot of people (new TMs I guess) hired on just for the remodel?

Generally yes. Though if you also have a lot of sister stores nearby you can ideally augment your remodel team with them. There will be a specific team of team members who will work overnight to do just remodel planogram/remerchandising

I've been on the team-member remodel team during a Pfresh transition, and can attest to the fact that a lot of stuff about how the plans call for relocating stuff will sound ridiculous until it's done. They did an amazing amount of shuffling gondolas and existing locations before everything finally fell into place. That being said, I'd recommend getting a spot on the remodel team if you can, it was definitely the most fun I've had at Target so far.

usually under the shared tools tab there is a remodel section. also for anyone on the remodel team (as in you're the person who has to actually figure stuff out) there is also the coveted Remodel Message Board. that was a lifesaver. open to everybody, but really just relevant to remodel. i wish we had a messageboard instead of MySupport.

Maybe because we're hi-vol, but we didn't hire ANY TMs during remod.
Our ETL-remod kicked a$$ in terms of organization; everthing was mapped out as to when it was moved & where it was going to. It was the one time I can remember EVERYONE getting an abundance of hrs &, if your avail was wide open, you could end every week with a fat paycheck.
Kinda made me cry when it was over, tho.

After the remodel is over, does Target advertise the area as "pfresh" or just fresh?

Checked in my conference room today, but didn't see any plans.

I'll look under the shared tools tab. I may have missed some info. I'll check out the remodel message board, too.

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks!

"PFresh" is actually not a term you're even supposed to use publicly. It's an internal designation, not a marketing concept.

We hired a few team members but most volunteered to do the overnight plano/remodel. It lasted about 3 months and there were tons of hours available not just for that but for dayside and flow as well as everyone is impacted. Ours was run really well and I enjoyed it.

Only the march opening remodels show up under the remodel page right now. What you can check is the pre remodel readiness indicator in store reports. You show up five weeks out from mobilization, which, for the June grand opening stores, should be up already. I'm pretty sure mobilization starts on April 1.

Speaking as someone who is on the remodel team right now, I recommend getting on that team. It's a lot of fun, but that might vary. Ours is fairly organized, but I've heard about and seen the nightmares of other stores. Organization is key. And everyone needs to be on the same page.

We ended up with several tms going overnight for the remodel and got a few tms from other stores, so we didn't have to hire too many new tms.

A lot of the moves don't seem to make sense until you are moving it all. The fixture guys move, tear down, replace, and rebuild gondolas every night. Most of the moves accommodate their needs, but Target has a sequence calendar. The sequence calendar says what departments set when, although we had to change things around sometimes due to missing fixtures and issues unique to our store.

A lot of the moves don't seem to make sense until you are moving it all. The fixture guys move, tear down, replace, and rebuild gondolas every night.

Three aisles of dog food/treats relocated to women's softlines was my favorite. =) Was there for two or three weeks if I remember, before they'd shuffled open a new home for it. I will miss the sight of an entire gondola jacked up on the Gondola Mover and being rolled somewhere else. Plus, from now on "an aisle" has turned into "two gondolas" to me, that's a bizarre shift of perception that few people I speak with will ever understand.

A lot of the moves don't seem to make sense until you are moving it all. The fixture guys move, tear down, replace, and rebuild gondolas every night.

Three aisles of dog food/treats relocated to women's softlines was my favorite. =) Was there for two or three weeks if I remember, before they'd shuffled open a new home for it. I will miss the sight of an entire gondola jacked up on the Gondola Mover and being rolled somewhere else. Plus, from now on "an aisle" has turned into "two gondolas" to me, that's a bizarre shift of perception that few people I speak with will ever understand.

We had entertainment in our girls area and consumables in boys until they finished building the new destination.

It's a lot of building new gondolas from the area that got staged (i.e. old consumables area). Setting and moving all the product over from the old spot. Then setting the area that just got emptied out because it moved and moving the product over. This keeps repeating until everything gets moved to its new spot.

Then a year later they decide to go through a few retrofits to get all the things that the newer remodels get that when we didn't during our remodel (destination beauty, shoes retrofit, home retrofit).

Last edited:
We had toilet paper in the mens department.
I think my favorite was the point when they were moving things around so there was a huge clear space, about the width of a Olympic ice rink running right down the middle of the store.
Confused people to no end.

^ This was my favorite. I guess my other favorite may have been when half of pets was in pets and the other half was across the store in seasonal.

Last edited:
We had pets interspersed with cosmetics for a time.
Talk about mixed messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back