Archived Stores Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any rumors yet about possible store closings early next year? Spot usually makes an announcement in early November.

West is that near Tuttle mall or closer to Polaris center ? Haven't been to Columbus in about 8 years but lived there from 2001 to 2005.
Polaris & Tuttle mall are north of Columbus. The Columbus store is located next Westland Mall(closed too).

Polaris & Tuttle mall are north of Columbus. The Columbus store is located next Westland Mall(closed too).
thanks that makes sense but Tuttle mall is north west so Westland mall is directly west of columbus.

Stores closure announcements are starting to come out again. So far on the list are Springfield, OH; Anderson, IN, Ottumwa, IA, and New Ulm, MN.

I heard about the Springfield closure over the weekend. They just had a remodel a few months ago. Not a full PFresh remodel, but why did Target waste the money on remodeling a store just to close it?

Last edited:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/11/03/target-closing-13-stores-2016.html
The 13 Target stores closing in 2016 are:

• Casa Grande, Ariz.
  • Victorville, Calif.
  • Suncoast Pasco County in Odessa, Fla.
  • Dixie Highway in Louisville, Ky.
  • Anderson, Ind.
  • Ottumwa, Iowa
  • East Flint in Flint, Mich.
  • New Ulm, Minn.
  • Springfield, Ohio
  • Columbus Southwest in Columbus, Ohio
  • Austin North East in Austin, Texas
  • Milwaukee, Wis.
  • Superior, Wis.

The common thread with most of these locations seems to be small/midsize Midwestern towns, which makes sense. The surprising ones are the Austin and Odessa (Tampa area) locations. Both of these seem to be in metro areas which are doing well, and neither seem to be in a particularly declining area. Could the fact that both of these stores are Supers be causing their financial performance to suffer?

Out of the twelve stores in town, four are supers.
Out of the five suburban stores, one is a super.
The one slated for closure is a super but in a heavily-developed area so that's surprising.

I heard about the Springfield closure over the weekend. They just had a remodel a few months ago. Not a full PFresh remodel, but why did Target waste the money on remodeling a store just to close it?
They probably found some cheap land and want to build new. It happened in council bluffs Iowa a decade ago.

I used to live near the East Flint store in michigan. That store was built in 1989 and had never been remodeled, and was the only store really left in that plaza. It's a shame cause when I go back home on trips I'd always stop in there.

They probably found some cheap land and want to build new. It happened in council bluffs Iowa a decade ago.
Most likely.
One of our outlying stores was closed years back & relocated less than three miles away but it sure made a diff in sales.
Like they say: location, location, location.

One factor which could be hurting the Austin Super set to close is the intense grocery market in Austin. Austin has a heavy presence from Whole Foods (HQ'ed in the city) and HEB (an extremely nimble competitor based out of San Antonio which is known both for their excellent selection and service and extremely competitive pricing). As I result, I highly doubt that this Super was pulling much grocery business, hence the decision to close.

here is the lastest news ... 13 stores closing

Is your local Target closing?

Here's the list of Target stores slated for closure:

• Austin North East (Austin, Texas)
  • Suncoast Pasco County (Odessa, Florida)
  • Casa Grande, Arizona
  • Victorville, California
  • East Flint (Flint, Michigan)
  • Columbus Southwest (Columbus, Ohio)
  • Northridge (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
  • Superior, Wisconsin
  • Springfield, Ohio
  • New Ulm, Minnesota
  • Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Anderson, Indiana
  • Dixie Highway (Louisville, Kentucky)

One of those is in my state, it makes sense that they are closing. It's a small town with a well established Wal Mart and last year they actually cut their stores hours by opening later and closing earlier when other stores in the state were extending their closing hours by an hour or more. RIP closing Target stores, I hope all TMs can transfer to a nearby store.

Oh wow the one in Casa Grande is one that I worked at. It was nice in the beginning but since then, it's a very low volume store and it's hours were something like 9am to 8pm or something very close. Management was a bit uhh not as good as it could be. It had a couple good ETL and the good workers covered huge departments, a closing night would be something like one soft lines and hardliners tm. So when you got a Tm from that store, they either could work super well getting lots done in little time or they sucked big time. Shortage was huge just bc that city is just blaaaa. It's low income and kind of uhhh well let's just say it doesn't matter how much new development you make in it, it's just as good as throwing glitter on poop. The poverty outweighs the well to do. That whole plaza is relatively new but bc of the population, it's becoming run down quickly and stores are closing not long after opening.

Waiting for the day I end up seeing my store on this list.. I honestly wonder how we haven't been closed, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back