Archived Stores closing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Greatland by my house in Jersey was built in 2003 so I know Greatlands were built after 2001.

9642452960_d51a69ffbc_k.jpg

That sign is so weird.

when was that picture taken because that is some old market pantry signing and that is not the iced tea and coffee aisle clearly

There's a former Greatland about 25 minutes away from me and I know it was built sometime in 2001 or 2002, so they were definitely still being built after 1999. Really cool to shop in one and see how much bigger they are than the standard stores.

Target was building Great Lands, in 2007. I remember, two we're being opened just as I was hired on. :)

One was converted into a Super-Target shortly after, while the other.. lost an entrance and was converted to a P-Fresh.

It was also just announced that the Target Greatland at 3720 Soldano Blvd in Columbus, OH is closing later this year. This might possibly be one of the last Greatlands still standing.

There are a few, standing GreatLand's still alive. I know are bunch of (non-Great/Super) P-97 store's are still standing too.

But, none of them we're like that Columbus, Ohio store. It's like someone literately froze that store in time. It's pretty cool, honestly, if you get nostalgic about that stuff :)

I like there TPS outfits. Much better than those Polo Shirts we have now...

wB4hfUA.jpg

(My second thought was, that store needs more Camera domes :p )

Isn't that the reflective vest to wear out into the parking lot? The store I trained at had those, but we don't.

When were these pictures taken? All of the store looks relatively clean.
Also, offices above food ave?
I have told that store well zoned & very clean. If you look at hl4 photo collection, it will give all closed stores near that store. The pictures were taken in 2013.

Completely satisfied?

A few old-timers will remember this but..

My thought on this is... Years & Years ago, a lot of retail chains (Wal-Mart especially) used to tout "Satisfaction Guaranteed" on store receipts, and store signing. I remember Wal-Mart was also famous for printing it on the exterior of non-supercenter stores.

The idea is, they'd tack back practically anything within reason. And believe it or not... the policy's weren't heavily abused. It was a good way, of trying to make a customer happy, and try to keep them on a loyal shopper. And I think it was a wonderful idea, practiced the way it was.

It's also worth mentioning, a lot of things we're better made then. Now a days, it's not uncommon for electronics, or stuff to have problems.

The store was one of three original stores opened in Columbus around 1990. My gf said one of the three stores has already been closed years back, she helped close the store. Apparently it was in a worse area than the one closing now. She is pretty sure all of the stores had upstairs offices as that was the thing back then.

Looks like Target went 1 for 3 on those store locations.

The pictures take me back to my childhood where I grew up. Maybe if me and the gf make it to Columbus before they close I'll stop in to check it out.

The pictures take me back to my childhood where I grew up. Maybe if me and the gf make it to Columbus before they close I'll stop in to check it out.
If you do, please take more Pictures :) I'd love to see them.

If you do, please take more Pictures :) I'd love to see them.
Will do. We planned on visiting her family around the holidays, might have to make a early trip if they do in fact close beginning of November.

Am I the only one that thinks closing a store beginning of November is a odd time?

Am I the only one that thinks closing a store beginning of November is a odd time?
Yeah, I mean... why not wait until After Black Friday?

Most store closings happen, in January or February. Right after the holidays.

The store was one of three original stores opened in Columbus around 1990. My gf said one of the three stores has already been closed years back, she helped close the store. Apparently it was in a worse area than the one closing now. She is pretty sure all of the stores had upstairs offices as that was the thing back then.

The area was/is so nasty that a Meijer (located across the street from the Target), closed not too long after the Target did. The Target relocated a couple exits away from the former Greatland Location in a nicer suburb. There's also several restaurants and dead plazas near the abandoned Meijer/Target.

Interestingly enough, there is a remodeled former-Greatland near Polaris Shopping Place. Not sure why it didn't receive the P-Fresh upgrades, but it appears to be remodeled around the same time the other Columbus-area stores when P-Fresh.... The store still retains the 2 entrances, but was upgraded to the newer sign package and lost any references to Greatland.

We had a store in such a bad area that it was always called "Targhetto".
They closed AFTER the Walmart had already moved out.

Last edited:
We had a store in such a bad area that it was always called "Targhetto".
They closed AFTER the Walmart had already moved out.

At my store, we joke that a couple other stores in our district are Targhetto. The areas they're in aren't all that bad, just economically depressed; such is life in the Rust Belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back