Archived Stores With Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
This week I did 3 shifts at a different Target because there backroom members suck and they had to reach out for help. Well, turns out not only do the BRTM suck but it felt like their backroom entirely had no standards. Little stuff like not zoning after pulling gets you yelled at and possibly even coached in my store but that doesn't apply over here. Everything in the backroom is falling all over each other. Waco boxes are a nightmare to look at. Groceries felt like being in the deepest circle of hell. It looked like a hurricane swept through and then came back for fun, got bored and then went over to pets. I saw the BRTM backstocking and they were just taking a handful of stuff and throwing them into the wacos. What the hell man. I had to zone just so I can fit more backstock in them. It honestly felt like I was in a cartoon with rabid animals as my coworkers lol!

Anyway, do you guys have similar stories?

Going to another store always gives you some perspective. The thing for me is instead of going to another store and being like, "I'm glad we don't do that." I try to understsnd why a store is the way it is and it gives you appreciation for those who really hold your store together. Even in a wacky store I try to poach some things I figure our store should do. I trained at a store that was utter chaos but I have yet to see a store with as high morale as theirs.

Had a similar experience helping at a remodel. I learned how to pog, sign, and some backroom processes.

When I was a BRTM we where taught when stowing a carton: peal off the bar code strip from the pick label, and if it had the white backing on it to fold it in half and stick it behind the bar code strip before attaching the strip to the carton. Also, the strip was to go in the lower left corner of the side of the carton that was facing out from the shelf. Our backroom these days just drops the white backing on the floor, which means halfway through their back stocking of a truck the backroom looks like a paper blizzard hit it. Also, it gives whoever sweeps up more work to do and it takes longer. Oh, and they stick the bar code strip any where and any which way on the carton. But that's none of my business now (calmly sipping a cup of tea).

Had a coworker go help another store's deli. Evidently they never scrubbed the random oil off of the fryers or the wall behind the fryers, didn't sweep or mop (evidently the contract cleaning crew was supposed to do that they and rarely/never did) and just gave no fucks. My coworker was shocked that the deli was allowed to stay open in the condition it was in. They also ran on a one opener, one closer and no one else type of schedule, from what I heard.

It was kind of a reverse situation at my store. We were completely resetting stationary and the PPTL who came to visit was considerably better than ours. She cared about making sure hanging stuff wasn't so close together that it looked messy (seriously my pptl practically screamed at me when I tried to fix problems like that) and she was extremely helpful too. She even taught me the little numbering system about where to place peg hooks which our PPTL never taught me.
@Havok were they back stocking without any kind of equipment too?? I've heard some awful stories about that.

Last edited:
This week I did 3 shifts at a different Target because there backroom members suck and they had to reach out for help. Well, turns out not only do the BRTM suck but it felt like their backroom entirely had no standards. Little stuff like not zoning after pulling gets you yelled at and possibly even coached in my store but that doesn't apply over here. Everything in the backroom is falling all over each other. Waco boxes are a nightmare to look at. Groceries felt like being in the deepest circle of hell. It looked like a hurricane swept through and then came back for fun, got bored and then went over to pets. I saw the BRTM backstocking and they were just taking a handful of stuff and throwing them into the wacos. What the hell man. I had to zone just so I can fit more backstock in them. It honestly felt like I was in a cartoon with rabid animals as my coworkers lol!

I'd hate to see their BRLA.

When I was a BRTM we where taught when stowing a carton: peal off the bar code strip from the pick label, and if it had the white backing on it to fold it in half and stick it behind the bar code strip before attaching the strip to the carton. Also, the strip was to go in the lower left corner of the side of the carton that was facing out from the shelf. Our backroom these days just drops the white backing on the floor, which means halfway through their back stocking of a truck the backroom looks like a paper blizzard hit it. Also, it gives whoever sweeps up more work to do and it takes longer. Oh, and they stick the bar code strip any where and any which way on the carton. But that's none of my business now (calmly sipping a cup of tea).

Our overnight team is usually good about that, but they never do it with diapers and it pisses me off.

Had a coworker go help another store's deli. Evidently they never scrubbed the random oil off of the fryers or the wall behind the fryers, didn't sweep or mop (evidently the contract cleaning crew was supposed to do that they and rarely/never did) and just gave no fucks. My coworker was shocked that the deli was allowed to stay open in the condition it was in. They also ran on a one opener, one closer and no one else type of schedule, from what I heard.

I can't imagine how they're allowed to operate, let alone pass Steritech.

I helped at another store's cash office once after one TM had been fired, another quit & another went on LOA for mental health reasons.
Fortunately, it was lower volume but their system was ALL f**ked up.
Low on cash, deposits piled up , media not sent out for a few weeks, counts were off.
First thing we had to do was break open a deposit & 'buy' currency from a nearby bank.

Parts of our backroom are so messed up because that's just the way things are. Sometimes it's just been that way for a while and nobody has had a chance to fix it or sometimes there isn't a good solution.

image.jpeg

Most of our cosmetics looks like this because we just don't have anywhere else to put it all. We have a separate stockroom for HBA and it is just really small. So there are wacos going almost all the way to the top shelf and we still fill them up and have wacos with 30+ items in them.

Parts of our backroom are so messed up because that's just the way things are. Sometimes it's just been that way for a while and nobody has had a chance to fix it or sometimes there isn't a good solution.

View attachment 2475

Most of our cosmetics looks like this because we just don't have anywhere else to put it all. We have a separate stockroom for HBA and it is just really small. So there are wacos going almost all the way to the top shelf and we still fill them up and have wacos with 30+ items in them.

We recently had to move all of COSM into the electronics lock-up because [reasons]. The COSM aisle in the lock-up is a lot smaller than the old aisle in light duty, so we have several DPCIs in each partition of each waco because there's so much backstock. I don't envy whoever has to do the audit when it includes COSM locations.

View attachment 2475

That is quite a bit of backstock. I always ask when I hear a certain fillgroup is full what the floor looks like in that department. If the floor is empty and the backroom is full (remember to question if SP's are getting set to POG since an influx of certain nailcare items usually means that) then you have a problem with a process somewhere and could improve. This would mean transitions, filling during the day or during flow, or even PTM in departments. Could also be that assortments are getting broken down but shouldn't be (and therefore tons of open stock coming back).

If the floor is full and and the backroom is full, then I would start paying attention to the product life of the items. If product appears to be sitting in your backroom for a long time (you can tell by the size of price changes, the amount of dcode, backroom detail reports) and you know its all on location (BRLA green), then its sitting back there because the sales are not matching your inventory, and should request an adjustment for it if possible.

when i was hired we had standards at my store and to be honest it was a bit scary because i felt like i was on egg shells at all times because i didnt want to lose the job so soon. now? ha! what standards?! the STL and ETLs have turned it into such a high school clique game of politics, which it was NOT like that at all when i started. suffice to say good team building starts with the leadership. if you fail there the rest crumbles.

That is quite a bit of backstock. I always ask when I hear a certain fillgroup is full what the floor looks like in that department. If the floor is empty and the backroom is full (remember to question if SP's are getting set to POG since an influx of certain nailcare items usually means that) then you have a problem with a process somewhere and could improve. This would mean transitions, filling during the day or during flow, or even PTM in departments. Could also be that assortments are getting broken down but shouldn't be (and therefore tons of open stock coming back).

If the floor is full and and the backroom is full, then I would start paying attention to the product life of the items. If product appears to be sitting in your backroom for a long time (you can tell by the size of price changes, the amount of dcode, backroom detail reports) and you know its all on location (BRLA green), then its sitting back there because the sales are not matching your inventory, and should request an adjustment for it if possible.
Salesfloor is full and counts should be accurate since we recently added a cosmetics brand TM. Last time we pulled the detail report, we found very little dcode but surprisingly a lot of active items that have been sitting for 6+ months. The brand TM drops massive research and exf batches, but it seems to be just as full in the back after a day or two.

when i was hired we had standards at my store and to be honest it was a bit scary because i felt like i was on egg shells at all times because i didnt want to lose the job so soon. now? ha! what standards?! the STL and ETLs have turned it into such a high school clique game of politics, which it was NOT like that at all when i started. suffice to say good team building starts with the leadership. if you fail there the rest crumbles.

Even just a few years ago we had alot more TLs and more ETLs...and way more hours....When Target keeps cutting and cutting its going to have an impact

the biggest problem my store faces is that when you go to a leader and address an issue that you as a TM can not solve or resolve the first thing out of the mouth of the leader is "well what do you want me to do about it?" and it stops there. no matter how many ways you as a TM may try to fix it, if can not then dont have hope for the leader to do anything. (depending on who of coarse but 9/10 will blow you off)

Salesfloor is full and counts should be accurate since we recently added a cosmetics brand TM. Last time we pulled the detail report, we found very little dcode but surprisingly a lot of active items that have been sitting for 6+ months. The brand TM drops massive research and exf batches, but it seems to be just as full in the back after a day or two.

then there is something wrong on the push end. does the TM know somethings get multi facings side to side and up and down? or it could take at least 2 months before its made correct again.

then there is something wrong on the push end. does the TM know somethings get multi facings side to side and up and down? or it could take at least 2 months before its made correct again.
It's something that our entire backroom team finds annoying but our TL isn't really big on problem solving, so I haven't bothered looking into the cause any further.

View attachment 2475

That isn't as bad as it seems, that at least when pulling you can go a section at a time until you find what you are looking for rather than it all rolling around as you try and find the one nail polish you need.

And its a huge problem of people not using multiple facings all over the store, in cosmetics sometimes its a matter of physical space yeah you have 3 facings of that mascara but only two really actually fit. But they need to change capacity to reflect reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back