Archived Stuff You Still Don't Know How to Do.

Greatest Fear?

• The waitress at the restaurant forgetting about you.

• Accidentally bending your legs the opposite way.

• Fear of getting electrocuted when plugging in appliances.

• The battery in your phone exploding.

• Finding a spider in the toilet paper roll.

• Your phone alarm somehow failing to ring even though it's never done so.

• The cashier giving you a look for buying 2 donuts, obviously for yourself.

• Showing up to a costume party, only to realize it was LAST weekend.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any clue what a rig is.

I can never remember how to answer a red phone on the salesfloor. I cover hardliners once every two months and I always have to ask.

A rig is just counting one item in one place. That count means things on backside of the system but just know what a rig task is, "How many in this location." Phones, it depends on your system. Mine is wait for target lady, #228? for what line it's on and hope the person is still holding.

I voted for legs bending wrong, cause I did tear a knee up so I figured close enough to leg bending the wrong way. The rest I have been through most or close enough, but knee that hurt. Except the costume, I just missed the party entirely.

Last edited:
As a GSA ... I never learned how to use the gun to add stickers to clothing. I've just been putting the white barcode sticker and clearance stickers on other tags within the clothes.

LOL, I do that when I'm in a rush sometimes. XD

I've been a cashier for 6 months and I still don't know how to count back change very well...if at all. I never saw the need as most people don't really care and they just take the change and immediately put it in their pocket/purse/wallet.

You'll get it eventually. Eventually, it becomes completely a visual thing. If you've ever played Dominoes before, you start to notice quick patterns in numbers. Like you learn to associate numbers more quickly. Same with the money. You'll notice patterns, which will make it easier to quickly add stuff in your head. It used to throw me off too. Like if someone's total was 5.39, and the guest gives me .61 after I took the money, I felt like I had to use every nerve in my brain to try and calculate the answer fast enough. It's even worse when they would do .65, and I'd have to remember the remaining .4 cents. I would make the joke, "Yeah I'm not too great at math, good thing I'm not a cashier." Usually get's a nice sympathy chuckle.

If the guest has warranty or ESP, you are not supposed exchange the item at the store as a no receipt. If the item has a serial number, you have made their original 2 year or 3 year ESP void per terms and conditions by giving them a new item with a different serial number. Ask your GSA or gstl for help on training/direction on ESP.
If the guest has registered their product after purchase, they are need to contact the 800 number on the ESP. Then, they will shipped their item to the ESP folks for replacement or a gift card. A friend of mine, had an iPad that had a smash screen & got a gift card for it.
We got some new ESPs cards in last week, with higher prices for plans than the old ones, that have better coverage for damages than before.
But every store is different on how they handle returns or ESP.

Some additional notes:
  • In the event they want to make use of the ESP, the guest needs to know the serial number of the ESP they purchased which is located on the bottom beneath the bar codes and on the receipt itself. I always underline and circle both spots and make sure the guest understands how important that number is. It is the one thing that should not be lost.
  • Registration of the plan is not required, but it does make the process easier. If they did not register their plan and they want to file a complaint online, they need to know the date the plan was purchased. If they make a phone call to the 800 number, they just need to know the ESP serial number.
  • There is a price point where the item in question will most likely not be requested back. All Apple products certainly will be, but something like a Nintendo 2DS will likely not be wanted back.
  • In nearly all cases, a gift card will be mailed to the guest.
One of the things I do not have a full grasp on yet is how to process check-ins in receiving. I have done it once or twice under guidance, but it would be nice to be able to do it myself so I don't have to wait for the reverse-logistics TM to check in new movies, video games, etc.

I see those words, lol, but I still feel confused. I think the main problem is, no one EVER registers their warrantee. What does ESP even stand for? I've never heard that acronym when being shown the warrantees. Luckily, I did know that they would need a new warrantee in the case of a return, so I would return their warrantee and issue a new one. **facepalm** WHY? WHY I DO DIS?! So stupid.

So basically for warrantees, the guest has to register their item, according to the directions on the little pamphlet I assume. And when their products breaks or whatever, they have to contact the number of the warrantee again, ship out the item, and wait for compensation? So when a guest comes to guest service with their item and warrantee, I just have to instruct them to contact the warrantee people, right?

I feel a lot of pressure for some reason when someone comes in with a busted blender or something, because I think they expect to just walk in and immediately replace it. So I fear telling them that they actually have to go through a long-winded way to replace their items. Is it not good practice to just offer an exchange in store if they end up not being pleased with the warrantee?

When I first started, people would do things for me instead of showing me how lol. I didn't know where our backstock went for over a year. Same for putting spider wraps on and I do it so rarely that I probably couldn't do it now anyway.

Idk when I'm supposed to offer service plans and even if I offered it for the proper items, idk any details about it so I just don't.

I'm still not quite sure of what exactly I'm supposed to do at the open of Black Friday. I just stand there and point until the slow down.

I don't know how to do the announcements. Sometimes there's no one scheduled in hr/tsc (who usually does it in my store) but then when they started having fr do phones, they didn't train us on that and now there's starting to be nights with no closing hr/tsc to do it. I don't actually wanna do it, though, so hopefully they never make me.

I challenge everyone to learn how to do that simple little thing they never learned. Make it a goal to learn it by the end of the week!

LOL, that was actually my main intention of this thread actually. I just wanted to just figure out how the fuck warrantees work, but I decided to turn that into a thread everyone could get in on. XD

Actually, how does backstock work? I have no clue how to backstock stuff either. I'm in Guest Service, and there is a bin in the back where stray backstock items go. And when trying to "sort" said items, it just says, "Box F" which is the backstock bin. Since it's usually small quantities of items. Literally, like maybe 1-4 items, I just put them into the carts to where I think the item normally goes. I do this, because that Backstock bin fills up FAST, and I don't know where else to put them. It's not like anyone is going to take the initiative to process these backstock items. So putting them in the appropriate sort carts is the only solution I know right now.

It all goes to the backroom where they do a thing (idk backroom things). I guess they scan it in as backstock somehow and attach it to a location somewhere back there. Idk what guest service is supposed to do with it when they get it, though. If I get something in my reshop cart and discover it's backstock, I just take it back. For me, I'd be fine with you putting it in the sort cart. But idk if that's "right."

Retail Girl said:
With all of the cashiers we had to train to count money, I doubt this person is joking.
This seems really bad... Won't there registers always be off if this continuously happens?

It all goes to the backroom where they do a thing (idk backroom things). I guess they scan it in as backstock somehow and attach it to a location somewhere back there. Idk what guest service is supposed to do with it when they get it, though. If I get something in my reshop cart and discover it's backstock, I just take it back. For me, I'd be fine with you putting it in the sort cart. But idk if that's "right."
Lol this is why no one from Salesfloor or front end is allowed in the backroom besides to ask for help to get something. We have sf come to the backroom all the time to grab stuff for guests... And no matter how many times we tell them to accurately do it, they still don't so it messes up the counts.

I have nothing to do with counts. I take it to the back in the designated area and put a pink clip on it. If I'm picking something up I call and ask the br TMs to pull it. Only people who are back room trained pull stuff and officially backstock it. When I as salesfloor say I backstocked something, what I mean is I put it in the drop off location with a clip. If their counts are off, they did it haha. Wasn't me.

I also have a ladder-based fear so I'm really not here for pulling anything myself. They don't pay me enough. If there's no one in the back, I ask the lod. Some salesfloor people are trained back there, too, but I'm not doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol this is why no one from Salesfloor or front end is allowed in the backroom besides to ask for help to get something. We have sf come to the backroom all the time to grab stuff for guests... And no matter how many times we tell them to accurately do it, they still don't so it messes up the counts.Ain't nobody on sf backroom trained? Ick.
I've been with target for 6 years and still can't figure out the red phones. o_O
I've got a srgstl (previously srhltl) who had been with us for almost two decades who can't use a red phone either. She'll try, ask if it is broken, watch me pick it up and be unable to replicate it herself. I've trained dozens of other idiots to answer then just fine but not her...

I want to learn guest service and how to make a bale/use the heavier backroom equipment. Receiving would be nice. Starbucks would be too. I have asked for gs training every 4th quarter since I started. We never have training time then though. Starbucks will happen this spring when we're short hours for everyone.

I still don't know how to defect. I can qmos like a madman, but I leave defects for guest services.
Before you log in I think it's K8 (sort items), K3 (defect) then scan and it asks if you want to defect, override to toss, etc. then it prints out a label for you to stick by the barcode.

It's super easy to pull and backstock.

My thing that I don't understand is literally everything softlines. I get so lost when going through those areas.

Based on my store, no one knows just where to put clearance, item not on file, or online items let alone deal with it. Still don't know how to cashier, i'm "trained" in the sense that etl entered me in and i can check people out but for the life i me i do not know any policies and rules for cashiering thankfully i mostly deal in simple one off transactions.

My thing that I don't understand is literally everything softlines. I get so lost when going through those areas.
I hate scanning outs in softlines. At least at my store, their doesn't seem to be any organization of the tables. One table will be o25 and the table next to it is o60. Makes no sense.

As long as something like "Sweater Shop" isn't going on (confused the crap out of me last year), zoning is fairly easy. One tip I give new people is if you're having trouble finding something, the areas are sorted by brand. Our store for example is Maternity / Ava, Mossimo Black, Merona, Mossimo Supply, Xhilaration / Fifth Sun / etc. If you're surrounded by Merona, but have Xhilaration in your hands, you're most likely in the wrong spot.

For myself, one thing I ALWAYS have trouble with is getting spider wraps onto products. I get it eventually, but I tend to struggle with it a bit before being successful. TVs aren't too bad, but if it's tiny, it always ends up as a jumbled mess.

I hate scanning outs in softlines. At least at my store, their doesn't seem to be any organization of the tables. One table will be o25 and the table next to it is o60. Makes no sense.

I remember helping a guest last winter because they couldn't find a softlines TM, and I looked up the item and it was located like H20 or something like that, so I'm standing next to table H19 (I don't remember exact numbers) and realized nothing else in that area was labeled even close to the location.

I don't even try to go near a carpeted area, now, unless I'm shopping.

I find with spider wraps lay out the wrap open with a lot of slack, back piece is your guide, lay product into the wrap and then bring up the lines to meet in front. Holding the front piece to take out the slack(not wound just hold up the front pieces), so you can move the lines around. When happy lock it down a the slack it wound down it should just be in place.

Just learned last weeks how to push CAFS, and how to have something backstocked.
Backroom is basically a magical mystery land to me. Still have no idea what goes on back there. Those tiny aisles scare me. But I'm sure the backroom feels the same way about the front.
A lot of the finer points of salesfloor are lost on me- for example I have no idea what @SoftlinesSquirrel means by 'scanning outs'. My salesfloor training was basically "QC, someone called out. Go to softlines, ask the fitting room what to do."

Just learned last weeks how to push CAFS, and how to have something backstocked.
Backroom is basically a magical mystery land to me. Still have no idea what goes on back there. Those tiny aisles scare me. But I'm sure the backroom feels the same way about the front.
A lot of the finer points of salesfloor are lost on me- for example I have no idea what @SoftlinesSquirrel means by 'scanning outs'. My salesfloor training was basically "QC, someone called out. Go to softlines, ask the fitting room what to do."
Scanning outs is mostly an instocks job. Team leads also do it, and then never tell backroom about it so they sit there a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back