Archived stupid mistakes you made as a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemlks

your local target barista
the title is pretty self explanatory lol.. i was thrown onto the register a few weeks ago with little training and we had this deal going on where you could get buy 2 of the same brand of detergent and get a $5 off discount card or something like that.. well i thought once i scanned the giftcard that meant that it took off $5 from the total and i was supposed to just toss the giftcard into the recycle bin underneath my register oops.. i now know i was actually supposed to give the giftcard to the guests (yikes)

i was just wondering if anyone has any other newbie stories they wanted to share!

when I was new if someone asked for something and I didn't know where it was I'd say we didn't have it, even if it was something we definitely had. yikes :oops:

also I never sorted/planned my stray, I'd just pick up an item, go put it away. comeback, pick something else. even if it's way on the other side of the store. took hours to do stray.

I would forget to put the guests last bag on the counter when I was done with it (when they were buying multiple bags of stuff) so after they paid and left I would look down and they forgot/I didn't give them an entire bag of their things. This happened like 3 times lmao I always felt sooooooooo bad

So many

Push reshop with a pda.

Assumed the backstock tubs needed to be pushed.

Sent a guest out the store with alcohol cap still on.

I got locked in the store during a closing shift, I was relatively new and zoning/reshoping toys, misunderstood the call to come up to leave on the walkie and lost track of time. I couldn't find any of the store management numbers to call, so I called the non-emergency police line and they got in contact with the closing LOD who drove back to the store and let me out. If this ever happens to me again I'm going to use mannequins to recreate scenes from the movie Career Opportunities.

Forgot to have a guest sign their WIC check ($8 - Target will survive).
Have run to the parking lot many, many times with the last bag. This no longer happens since bags are 10 cents in CA.

I think that's pretty much it. I have been working since I was 14 years old. I've pretty much done it all.

I got locked in the store during a closing shift, I was relatively new and zoning/reshoping toys, misunderstood the call to come up to leave on the walkie and lost track of time. I couldn't find any of the store management numbers to call, so I called the non-emergency police line and they got in contact with the closing LOD who drove back to the store and let me out. If this ever happens to me again I'm going to use mannequins to recreate scenes from the movie Career Opportunities.

He's lucky. Locking someone in the store is a final warning. We had an stl in our district termed for locking a homeless man in the store

He's lucky. Locking someone in the store is a final warning. We had an stl in our district termed for locking a homeless man in the store

One of our ETLS is on final because a tm was putting away stuff.. her walkie died.. and she got locked in.

I used to use equipment to do reshop. Nothing wrong with it, but once I looked up I realized there's some sense going on to the organization that makes it less necessary. I didn't need to scan every single item. Plus I work softlines lol so table numbers aren't that helpful. If I couldn't find something I'd be checking to see if it was clearance. It took so much time.

Another thing I did is I was leaving an hour before close one night and I didn't finish one table. Instead of letting someone know, I took all the unfolded stuff and balled it up and put it between the two sides of folded stuff lol. So annoying for the person who had to fold that the next day.

Got into the habit of giving the free gift cards to the guest immediately after loading them (never forgot a one) THEN was told to never give to the guest until AFTER the transaction is complete so woopsie had a few forgotton ones. I gave them immediately to the GSTL. One time i was FREAKING OUT because i fogot to give the guest a $50 gift card for buying xbox. So after that I reverted to always handing them the gift immediately just reminding them they can only use on their next transaction. I never knew if that guest ever came back for her gift card. Another occasion I drove all the way home with the electronics keys...I though I was going to lose my job for sure....made it back in time to return them the team hadnt left the store yet. I was ringing the doorbell because They wouldnt answer the phone my heart pounding out of my chest.

...why would they tell you not to hand them over until the transaction is completed...they void if the transaction isn't finished, so it's not like the store hands out money. Anyway, I always put them on top of my keyboard; kind of hard to forget when they're sitting RIGHT THERE.

I dont know why that GSA told me that my store makes /changes little rules like that often...plus he no longer works there havent been told that rule by any other gsa/gstl Anyways all i knew is it just threw me off even though I would put them on the keyboard right there sticking up between the keys...and I would get caught up in conversation from happy guest and would be ready to ring the next guest and a few seconds notice the gift card staring my face by that time guest long gone. Gift card right there on the keyboard and I would still forget. Such a stupid mistake

Last edited:
On my first or second day of working truck, I was in domestics and got to the aisle with the mirrors. Proceeded to mutilate open a casepack of RE door-length mirrors to find they were all shattered. Had no idea what to do with defectives or how I was gonna haul a dozen busted mirrors and a pile of torn up cardboard and styrofoam somewhere, but a senior TM noticed when he was walking by and stopped to help

On my first or second day of working truck, I was in domestics and got to the aisle with the mirrors. Proceeded to mutilate open a casepack of RE door-length mirrors to find they were all shattered. Had no idea what to do with defectives or how I was gonna haul a dozen busted mirrors and a pile of torn up cardboard and styrofoam somewhere, but a senior TM noticed when he was walking by and stopped to help
Keep the box intact. Safety first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back