Archived Stupid things people have been fired for at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racial slurs don't have a middle ground. Black people took the word and changed it to the point where it means dude or hey man. But the person in the story clearly used the racist version in a racist way?
However, actually that doesn't change the word. The word is still offensive. It will always remain offensive.

The swastika was the buddist symbol for peace for 3000 yrs. Then Hitler and the nazis co-opped it. It is now permanently associated with them.

My statement (being an author as well) is if I can't say it but you can, you are being racist. Simple as that.

That's funny.
We have to show a receipt whenever we leave with a drink but guests & non-FA/SBTMs can help themselves to a free soft drink & leadership looks the other way.
having ran a resturant, soft drinks aren't trackable. Any metric assigned to them is bogus. You can get them on the cups though.

having ran a resturant, soft drinks aren't trackable. Any metric assigned to them is bogus. You can get them on the cups though.
They have cameras on the FATMs & SBTMs but NOT on the soda fountains.
We've reported TMs who grab a cup saying "I'm just getting water" only to see them fill it up with soda.
We mention it to leadership & they say "Oh, that's an HR issue; we'll mention it to them."
Meaning nothing happens until the TM moves on to something of higher value in another area.

& we have clear cups at SB but it doesn't stop them from going over to the fountain to help themselves.
They know we see them, they know we tell leadership & they know NOTHING will happen.

They have cameras on the FATMs & SBTMs but NOT on the soda fountains.
We've reported TMs who grab a cup saying "I'm just getting water" only to see them fill it up with soda.
We mention it to leadership & they say "Oh, that's an HR issue; we'll mention it to them."
Meaning nothing happens until the TM moves on to something of higher value in another area.

I hear you. There was a homeless panhandler who would always run into the store and steal sprite from the machine. He did this in front of everyone. I asked a previous AP-ETL about it and he said that he wasn't doing anything else and it would waste their time to deal with him when they had bigger fish to fry.

Basically, your drinks aren't important enough to cause some to be fired unless they are stealing something else.

Basically, your drinks aren't important enough to cause some to be fired unless they are stealing something else.
When other TMs steal drinks it ALWAYS leads to greater theft.
Leadership ignores drink/food theft unless it's by a FA/SBTM; then they get termed.

I hear you. There was a homeless panhandler who would always run into the store and steal sprite from the machine. He did this in front of everyone. I asked a previous AP-ETL about it and he said that he wasn't doing anything else and it would waste their time to deal with him when they had bigger fish to fry.

Yeah our greatest expense is the cups. The mix to make the drinks is pennies on the dollar

& we have clear cups at SB but it doesn't stop them from going over to the fountain to help themselves.
They know we see them, they know we tell leadership & they know NOTHING will happen.

Poke a hole in the cup.

Was asked one day to come meet with detectives at the service desk. Pretty normal request at my store, with the amount of activity we have.

What wasn't normal was what these detectives were there for. They were liquor enforcement. They were able to make a controlled underage liquor sale. Even more surprising was who they bought it from. It wasn't a new cashier. It was one that had worked over 10 years at Target and never had a verbal coaching that we knew of.

He was termed immediately. Target doesn't play with liquor violations. It's one of the few things that can get you termed with no exceptions. In my state the first violation comes with a hefty fine and the second results in the license being revoked.

To be fair the lady who made the controlled purchase looked much older than 21. But the cashier never asked for the ID.

Was asked one day to come meet with detectives at the service desk. Pretty normal request at my store, with the amount of activity we have.

What wasn't normal was what these detectives were there for. They were liquor enforcement. They were able to make a controlled underage liquor sale. Even more surprising was who they bought it from. It wasn't a new cashier. It was one that had worked over 10 years at Target and never had a verbal coaching that we knew of.

He was termed immediately. Target doesn't play with liquor violations. It's one of the few things that can get you termed with no exceptions. In my state the first violation comes with a hefty fine and the second results in the license being revoked.

To be fair the lady who made the controlled purchase looked much older than 21. But the cashier never asked for the ID.

I'd say this was a scare post but that's the last thing an outsider would post. Haven't sold liqour illegally before but a kids birthday was the next day and he would be 17...showed me his ID and all and im like fuck this shit your birthdays tomorrow Ill let it slide. It was a video game mind you! haha Kid was so stoked that I let it slide because his mom wasnt with him. Good kid, in my opinion. He was well dressed, totally respectful and just wanted the game. He gave me the ID ..I look at it and I'm like...dude I can't even scan this in...you're not 17 til tomorrow. He gets all disappointed on his face and Im like...fuck it. I feel like there should be a way to bypass if they're within a week of 17 for games. Nothing worse than walking to your local target for the latest shooter with money from your birthday or some shit and not being allowed to buy it cuz moms at work or didnt wanna drive you or some shit haha but fuck it...been a year and no issues...that dudes 18 now and probably doesnt remember me even doing that solid for him and that shooter game is probably irrelevant now..heh but yeah dont sell spray paint, alcohol or certain drug products to minors without a 100% legit ID or supervisor override. Not only are you breaking the law at that point- you're providing someone with goods to commit bad behavior and illegal acts AND they're underage. Bad move.

Last edited:
I'd say this was a scare post but that's the last thing an outsider would post. Haven't sold liqour illegally before but a kids birthday was the next day and he would be 17...showed me his ID and all and im like fuck this shit your birthdays tomorrow Ill let it slide. It was a video game mind you! haha Kid was so stoked that I let it slide because his mom wasnt with him. Good kid, in my opinion. He was well dressed, totally respectful and just wanted the game. He gave me the ID ..I look at it and I'm like...dude I can't even scan this in...you're not 17 til tomorrow. He gets all disappointed on his face and Im like...fuck it. I feel like there should be a way to bypass if they're within a week of 17 for games. Nothing worse than walking to your local target for the latest shooter with money from your birthday or some shit and not being allowed to buy it cuz moms at work or didnt wanna drive you or some shit haha but fuck it...been a year and no issues...that dudes 18 now and probably doesnt remember me even doing that solid for him and that shooter game is probably irrelevant now..heh but yeah dont sell spray paint, alcohol or certain drug products to minors without a 100% legit ID or supervisor override. Not only are you breaking the law at that point- you're providing someone with goods to commit bad behavior and illegal acts AND they're underage. Bad move.
The video game one isn't a legal issue. It's a policy by Target (and many other retailers) to follow the age guidelines on things like games, music and movies. I doubt it would get you fired, especially for a first time.

Liquor, much like tobacco, does come with legal consequences. The main deterrent is the fines and potential loss of the liquor license. Liquor licenses aren't cheap and can be hard to get reinstated. The money is why Target and other retailers have no tolerance policies.

I actually had a convo with a guest last night along these lines. She was buying wine, was in her 50s (and certainly looked older than me), but I carded her anyway per policy. Now, most of my female guests who get carded laugh it off or say thank you (as if I'm paying them a compliment), but I've had the occasional guest get upset that "clearly I'm plenty old enough, why do you need to do that". This one wasn't upset or anything like that, but was honestly curious. I explained to her that not only is it state law that I verify using a state issued legal identification card, it's also Target policy that I check EVERYONE regardless of their apparent age. And then I told her that the local police departments do in fact run undercover ops to check compliance. Her eyes went wide at that one.

At the same time, I have a coworker who is not consistent about inspecting IDs. I have heard her just ask for a date of birth. Now, the guests in question on these transactions appear to be old enough, but how do we know they aren't undercover cops? And yes, I have brought this up to ETL, because GSTL is her buddy and I don't trust that reporting it to GSTL would generate follow up.

We had someone get fired for doing a repackage/online item reduction under their TM # and then buy the item. Which I understand. What kinda stinks is that as a FR tm, they did these things all the time as part of their routines. But they happened to buy something this one day.

We had someone get fired for doing a repackage/online item reduction under their TM # and then buy the item. Which I understand. What kinda stinks is that as a FR tm, they did these things all the time as part of their routines. But they happened to buy something this one day.
That's super bogus, as long as it hit the floor for at least 15 minutes, and followed all the other tm purchase policies.

I'm assuming it hadn't been at least 15 minutes since the adjustment was made before the TM purchased. Or that the TM had an existing history of questionable adjustments.

The video game one isn't a legal issue. It's a policy by Target (and many other retailers) to follow the age guidelines on things like games, music and movies. I doubt it would get you fired, especially for a first time.

Liquor, much like tobacco, does come with legal consequences. The main deterrent is the fines and potential loss of the liquor license. Liquor licenses aren't cheap and can be hard to get reinstated. The money is why Target and other retailers have no tolerance policies.

Wow never knew that about the video games.

We had a FR Tm who does that but she sets it aside and buy it later. She got fired.

My kids have participated in the video game program as well as the tobacco program (that's not at Target obviously). You'd be surprised at how many team members sold games to my 14 year old.

Every clerk at Walgreens that sold him cigarettes (at 17) was immediately terminated. He showed his real ID, the register prompted that he was underage, they bypassed it and sold anyway.

A few years ago one of our electronics team members had walked out the door to go home forgetting he still had the electronics keys on him, he didn't even make it to his car before he realized he still had them and brought them back inside. He was our best electronics tm at the time and they fired him for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back