Archived SUBT9999 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another TM told me that before you use SUBT9999 that you should backstock in STO first. Is that true, because when I use that function, I only use that function. If it is, what kind of problems does it cause by only using SUBT9999?

This answer should work from another thread:
First off, grats on some awesome results! 99% is awesome! The reason Subt doesn't result in thousands of errors when done incorrectly is that when you scan one DPCI incorrectly it is only logging one single error, not 9999 of them because eaches are not what is measured in that metric. One error out of around 20,000 scans in the back room through the course of a week doesn't have any impact on your score. It is entirely possible that Subt doesn't get factored into BRLA but it shouldn't be impacting it significantly one way or the other because most stores don't use that function more than a few dozen times a week.

More evidence for MisterLogistics here. If errors were based on eaches how would the following work? A case pack of 24 bottles of shampoo is baffled in your uppercase location. When you go through a pull looking for something else you scan the pick label on the shampoo. If errors were based on eaches, the system would have to stop you to ask how many are in that casepack or else it couldn't possible ding you for the appropriate 24 errors. Therefore, the system dings you one error for having one scan that was an error, not 24 errors because it doesn't have that information.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear :) We take 6-7 trucks a week... We get probably 3-5 flats of challenge per truck with probably 10-15 different DPCIs on them... All of these items are SUBT9999 without using STO first! That would be a few hundred extra Subt scans (and therefore a few hundred errors) a week! Not a few dozen

Again I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I understand that eaches don't go into BRLA :)

That would seem to be good evidence that Subt isn't going into BRLA. If you are an A volume store, I would guess that you are probably closer to 40,000 total scans per week then. The impact of even that much use of Subt would theoretically have a proportional effect on BRLA. With those 300-500 errors from the challenge alone your BRLA score would be at 98.7% at worst (plus with other errors it would be lower). So, it's not impossible that it still gets counted in BRLA but doesn't seem likely to me based on what you are saying. Do you happen to know about how many errors you see on DTK?

That does seem like an awful lot of challenge!! Do you know if they are working it back to the floor before resetting the accumulator?

This too.

He is correct. For whatever reason errors are only detected in generated batches. The only down side to not STOing first is SUBT will not detect clearance. I however find that to be a fair trade off for the time saved not STOing first. You can in fact test this theory by SUBTing 9999 without STO an item from a fill group you do not normally see into a Z location. Then check the next weeks DTK report for a error in the fill group in that area. I think many of us have tried this and gotten the same results, no error.

Was about to suggest this purpose-built test. My backroom TL and I did this, with the LIQR fillgroup, location Z. Just a random margarita mixer SUBT'd in without STOing first. Next week and the week after, the LIQR group was a solid green bar on the DTK report. We showed it to the leadership in the building and it was decided then and there that it was value-added to save the time by not STOing first, and we've been doing it ever since.

Like others have said, technically this activity fits the criteria for making an error, and it certainly would if it were done while working a pull batch. But the standalone SUBT app is just not included in the error reporting. The system sees it happening, but turns a blind eye to it, per se.

Again, as it's been mentioned, the only reason the Resetting Accumulator guide on Workbench states to STO first is because STO acts as a filter for items that are Clearance, MIR, or Challenge. Obviously, SUBT doesn't throw these prompts because the system already thinks you're removing items from the stockroom...

Alzfl.jpg

Thank you! I kinda figured you didn't have to STO but figured I'd double check.

If you don't sto first, I think it goes in as an error. Since your telling the system there is an item(s) in that location when the system didn't know anything was there.

Our backroom uses his function on pretty much all backstock except stuff coming off the truck.

No, it does not register as an error. I've been using the subt function to backstock a significant portion of the items I backstock for years and my individual BRLA has never been under 99% and my team is always green.

Wouldn't using SUBT9999 force those locations to come up on backroom quantity audits every day?

I typically only use SUBT999 without STO during CAFs... for example, the other day someone backstocked a 3-tier of movies from the electronics transfer. 12 o'clock rolls around, they all wanna come out, but obviously there's no spot for them on the sales floor. Scan the movie, say I pull whatever it wants, toggle over to SUBT, and SUBT999 without STO'ing it first; continue until the batch is done.

I like the use STO first every other time, just for my own peace of mind. We end up with a lot of challenge and clearance that ends up in backstock, and I want to make sure that's going to the correct area. That, and sometimes fill groups are tricky. Having product in the wrong fill group location is a pet peeve of mine.

I heart subt9999 .. use it everytime for the ambient, meat, pro1, dairy and freezers. If i do not use subt9999 then the next caf pull these items would come out even though the floor is full and fresh !!

People using subt999 for anything other than salesplanner endcap take downs really are doing more damage than good. If your team is using subt999 on normal backstock daily your process has much bigger problems and subt999 is masking those problems.

IMO TM's should have never been told about this method.

I try to only use it when there's a huge amount of BS and by not doing so then it will pullin the CAFS. For instance, there's been multiple times when flow is bstocking softlines late in the morning, if we don't use SUBT 9999 then it will all pull. Same with PFresh( although that also has to do with the truck closing appropriately too), and almost everytime there's a revision in Electronics. I wish STO would actually do the job as intended, but it didn't always work. As far as errors are concerned,I haven't caused any from SUBT9999 because if I did, my loc accuracy would be a ton worse.

People using subt999 for anything other than salesplanner endcap take downs really are doing more damage than good. If your team is using subt999 on normal backstock daily your process has much bigger problems and subt999 is masking those problems.

When Target rolled out that summer update a few years ago that was suppose to.... I do not remember what it was suppose to do but, it ended up being a disaster creating pulls that were literaly pulling all the backstock from every thing even the truck turning the entire companies logistics process on its head over night. As stores crashed and burned Targer revealed the little known SUBT 9999 process in writing and had everybody using that while they spent months removing the update. As for it masking problems, half of what people do in their stores is masking problems. Everything is one big cheat now. I am just happy I am not a part this company anymore.

If you don't sto first, I think it goes in as an error. Since your telling the system there is an item(s) in that location when the system didn't know anything was there.

Our backroom uses his function on pretty much all backstock except stuff coming off the truck.

No, it does not register as an error. I've been using the subt function to backstock a significant portion of the items I backstock for years and my individual BRLA has never been under 99% and my team is always green.

This. As RedDog said in the thread I referred to, it won't generate errors because you're not currently pulling a batch. If you're in a batch and you SUBT 9,999 of an item, you'll generate thousands of baffles, but if you're not in a batch, you won't cause any errors (as long as you do it right). It's a wonderful loophole.

add in using for backstocking checked challenge and I agree.

edit to add that subt is no where near the top of the list of things causing problems. It is on the list but not near the top.

Last edited:
At our store we pretty much avoid subt999. Our challenge gets pushed by someone we trust to do it properly and whatever is left is backstocked the next day. Doesn't come out on our cafs and since the system doesn't consider it backstock, it won't count against our score. We are a low volume store though.

subt is no where near the top of the list of things causing problems. It is on the list but not near the top.

See: flow and CAF pushers not pushing to all locations, backroom burning batches, STL/ETLs not letting instocks research like they're supposed to - the list goes on and on.

At our store we pretty much avoid subt999. Our challenge gets pushed by someone we trust to do it properly and whatever is left is backstocked the next day. Doesn't come out on our cafs and since the system doesn't consider it backstock, it won't count against our score. We are a low volume store though.
yes if we were able to wait till the next day then their would be no point in using subt on challenge. Alas we have to backstock it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back