SuperTarget. Now called simply Target.

Some thing I've read has said that as SuperTarget stores get remodeled they take the Super off the name and the stores, while being stores with a full grocery department, are simply called Target. Is this true?

Yes

In August 2015, Target made the announcement of "Big or small, our stores have one thing in common: they're all Target."[67] Since then newer stores have opened under the Target name. Existing SuperTarget stores retained the name on the buildings although some have become Target through remodels.

Last edited:
ASANTS.

Google Woodbury East Target (in MN) and scroll thru the photos. They remodeled about a year ago and it still says "SUPER" on their building sign.

ASANTS.

Google Woodbury East Target (in MN) and scroll thru the photos. They remodeled about a year ago and it still says "SUPER" on their building sign.
Same. We remodeled about a year and a half ago, and have SUPER on the building signage and phone recordings when you call the store.

My store used to say TARGET on the building. Now it just has the Target logo on the building.

I wonder if this means that they'll start integrating aspects of SuperTarget into regular Target stores at some point.

I heard they are done building Super Targets and the focus now is on small formats. But I live in a state with zero Supers and only one small format, so.. 🤷‍♀️

That would be interesting. Grocery margins are teeny tiny, but they make up a huge percentage of sales in my store, and people who come in for groceries buy other things while they're here...

I heard they are done building Super Targets and the focus now is on small formats. But I live in a state with zero Supers and only one small format, so.. 🤷‍♀️
They’ve only opened 1 full sized store in the past 3-4 years and like 50 small formats. They’re so much more cost effective. They bring in about triple the amount of money per square foot so they’re a much better investment. If you have 2 small formats bringing in 15million a piece or 1 chain store at 30 million it’ll be way more cost effective to keep the small formats running. Lease cost, utilities, payroll. Small formats are the future but makes sense to build a full size every now and then to stay relevant.

Back