Archived Swap shift board question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

I can haz pda?
Is this thing by TSC only used for swapping shifts or can it be used to give one up?

In my store, HR will not let us give up hours, we have to switch or call out. It may just be my store though.

you can give them up to....in fact, at my store there is more giving up than swapping. Like RG said, the shift is still your responsibility if no one picks it up so you will either have to come in or call out (2 hours prior). Of course, in my store if you are a favorite ETL's will help you find coverage to make sure you don't have to call out. (They have reinstated the write ups for being excessively late or missing shifts (15% of time for tardiness and 5% for hours missed))

Yep, at my store they will also occasionally play favorites and if they like the person/excuse enough will let it slide and just drop the shift off the schedule. What really makes them grumpy is someone calling off or doing a NCNS after failing to find someone to take the shift on the board.

Keep in mind when posting a shift to give up that, not only does someone need to pick it up, but leadership has to sign off on it before HR will key in the change.
Then & only then are you off the hook.

Either in sheer laziness by my leadership or in incredible trust in our HRTM, most of our swaps go from someone taking it to the initials that the HRTM has changed it, with no SrTL/ETL approval initials in between.

Thanks for all the replies. It's 2 7-8 hour cashier shifts and I know I can't handle it as I've told them before about standing that long...my plantar ficitious doesn't like it and I was quite surprised they showed up on next weeks schedule.

I know it's hours and pay but its not worth the pain

Your best bet is to see if there is a cashier with a shorter shift that day that might be willing to trade with you. The problem is, is that this time of year, most people can't add another 7-8 hour shift onto their schedule. And even if they can, a lot of people won't take that long of a cashier shift voluntarily without a lot of begging.

Your best bet is to see if there is a cashier with a shorter shift that day that might be willing to trade with you. The problem is, is that this time of year, most people can't add another 7-8 hour shift onto their schedule. And even if they can, a lot of people won't take that long of a cashier shift voluntarily without a lot of begging.

Good point. I'm going to put one of the 2 on the board tomorrow and see what happens

In my store, HR will not let us give up hours, we have to switch or call out. It may just be my store though.

Not 100% sure but I think that is against one of Spots policies in the TM handbook. You may want to check that out because that's a terrible rule. Some people have emergencies or other things may cause TM's to need a day off. Your HR sounds like an ass.

If your availability is restricted, you can always claim that the shifts given to you were outside of your availability.

But if you claimed to be available for a shift, you are responsible for that shift.

If an Exec or HR signs off on a swapped shift, it pretty much means that the schedule for that shift has been updated to the new person. If its not signed off by an Exec/HR, you are still responsible for the shift if the other person doesn't show up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. It's 2 7-8 hour cashier shifts and I know I can't handle it as I've told them before about standing that long...my plantar ficitious doesn't like it and I was quite surprised they showed up on next weeks schedule.

I know it's hours and pay but its not worth the pain

As it's a medical condition, I would get a doctor's note in your file ASAP.. Just as a pre-caution.

Question1
In my store ETL-HR said I cannot swap with someone that is not a TL to TL, How about TL starbucks which there is only 1 TL.

Another Question

I want to swap my closing shift to other TL but she is not available that night and asked the ETL-softlines If I can just give it to another softlines TM, but ETL-softlines said it has to be TL to TL or call out, to me its messed up because you rather have the TL to C/O than to give the shift to a team member. what do you guys can say?

At my store, they don't care. Whoever is in the TL-less workcenter just reports to the LOD instead. Whenever a TL is on vacation, their shifts just get put in the swap book so TMs can take them. My store's leadership just cares about having bodies on the sales floor.

Question1
In my store ETL-HR said I cannot swap with someone that is not a TL to TL, How about TL starbucks which there is only 1 TL.

Another Question

I want to swap my closing shift to other TL but she is not available that night and asked the ETL-softlines If I can just give it to another softlines TM, but ETL-softlines said it has to be TL to TL or call out, to me its messed up because you rather have the TL to C/O than to give the shift to a team member. what do you guys can say?

I've taken TL shifts before. Some of them were GSTL shifts and I'm trained as a GSA, but I took some SFTLs shifts once. She wasn't setting adjacencies that night, so it didn't really matter.

I've swapped with my SBTL & FATL several times.
If it's an order day, they'll leave me a marked list to scan.

I swapped with my CTL once, and I'm not a PA (although I've done everything they do at this point minus ordering and some of the cleaning tasks in ambient/coolers). He approached me about it, wasn't done via the board. I'm technically a HL TM, ~60 days in. I seem to be the jack of all trades guy at my store though, done shifts doing practically everything except pulling CAFs in the backroom or working the service desk/GSTL stuff.

I've used this board already so I can provide input :D

I think my store mostly uses it to give up shifts, but we are very communicative about it with the ETLs. We have some new GSTLs/ETLs and at least 10 new hires for cashier and sales, so I am trying to get to know everyone. I took a cashier shift for a guest service TM that asked me to. Then I saw another shift on there from one of the new cashiers I met. I told another new cashier about it and he took her shift (I worked the same hours so I couldn't take it) as well as another.

Check the Cart Attendant's hours and see if they have some available. Some of my CAs only have 20-30 hrs and can pick up one shift (I cashier more than the other CAs so far; Got 38 hrs next week). Try asking someone you know about taking one or trading. Also talk to your favorite of the GSTLs/ETL Front End/HR about the problem and see if they know who might be willing to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back