Archived Swiss Army Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the actual policy on these? I got told by two GSA's to use a box cutter and leave my knife at home but the GSTL has told me that its fine as a cart attendant to use a knife I'm comfortable with.

Ive carried a pocket knife since 14. they comfortable and familiar, those terrible box cutters feel like they're gonna come open in my pocket and take out an artery (or worse!)

Who should I listen to? Can I get termed for just using my own knife?

They want you to use the company provided box cutters and if you get hurt using anything but one of those you won't be covered by Workman's Comp.
Whoever told you to use what you felt comfortable with was wrong.

Now, I used my own specialty cutter (I called it The Signing Tool) but I always carried a regular box knife with me so that if there were any questions I could pull it out.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will leave my own knife home and just pray to some higher power that evil hunk of death doesn't come open in my pocket lol.

There are tricks to customizing them, I've seen where people have crimped them and drilled holes so they could attach them to their belts.
All kinds of things so that they aren't in the pocket.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will leave my own knife home and just pray to some higher power that evil hunk of death doesn't come open in my pocket lol.

We used to have a TM who would bend the non-blade end of the inner part so it wouldn't open easily. Another alternative is to put the box cutter inside one of those toothbrush holders from the travel-size aisle in HBA.

bend the inside part and it wont open in your pocket.
I leave it open in my pocket *genious*

Yup you just have to wack the holder of the box cutter to be smaller then jam the blade in there and it wont move easily. Personally i used a can opener to put a hole through it and tied paracord to it so i can attach it to my belt loop and i never have to reach into my pocket. Pull the cord, catch the box cutter, hit it on the box to open it, cut, hit it on the box again to close it. Although if it was up to me I'd just use a much much much better purpose built box cutter and holster. Too bad it's not supplied at target, i saw what the walmart employees had in my area and was quite jelly.

I was surprised that Target uses the box cutters it does. I've worked for companies that strictly prohibited them. We were only allowed to use safety cutters.

31bykgzdp4L._SY300_.jpg

Did I hear a rumor that some stores were getting new box knives that we actually had to sign out?

Target box cutters are dangerous as hell- I would never put one in a pocket- I like my femoral artery* just the way it is, thanks.

*don't be pedantic, I know where it really is, I'm just exaggerating here!

Did I hear a rumor that some stores were getting new box knives that we actually had to sign out?

Yeah I did see something on redwire on the mydevice about new box cutters and team members must sign them out. . Not sure when it is happening tho.

Yeah I did see something on redwire on the mydevice about new box cutters and team members must sign them out. . Not sure when it is happening tho.

We just got them yesterday, I don't think I need them as a CA i just need to open boxes or break down things for the baler every once in awhile.

Just got a big box of these today from my signing guy but havent heard anything official about them yet. They have a holster type thing with them too.

I was surprised that Target uses the box cutters it does. I've worked for companies that strictly prohibited them. We were only allowed to use safety cutters.

31bykgzdp4L._SY300_.jpg

Ugh. DO NOT WANT. I've already got a PDA on one hip, Walkie on the other, and sometimes a MyDevice too. All I need is another thing to clip on my belt. I'll feel like Batman before long.
Utility-belt.jpg

Sleeping gas for annoying customers?

Our store has got the new boxcutters in as well. Just sitting in our ETL-LOG office. The equipment sign-out sheet was updated to include boxcutters like two week ago. o_O

Honestly, I carry a utility knife w/ pocket clip. No one has said anything to me about it. Swiss Army knife on my keys as well, but using that to open boxes would be too slow. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back