Archived Taking home signs and/or displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is obviously not allowed by Spot, but I'm sure every store but the strictest does it in some form. I mean say you're a major gamer freak that loves Halo 4. You pass by electronics, see the header, and think that it would look amazing in your room. You ask someone in electronics, they say its yours if you're discreet about it.

A year or so ago we had that 2-foot LEGO figure display in the LEGO aisle and we had so many people want it. Then Target made us send it back so there was no way it could be taken. Smart of them.

Anyone else know if this happens in your store? And have YOU taken anything? (I know I have once or twice...)

I know someone in my store took the huge haunted house set from the Halloween set. LOL. She wheeled it out in a tub haha

Any signing that is not of Target belongs to the vendor. They require Target stores to send back any and all signing, or we get the word from vendors to destroy them.

My store used to donate certain Target signing (usually BTS) to schools. But Corp made it clear years ago, that we were not to continue that practice any longer. Any Target Brand signing had to be destroyed.

Last edited:
Now this is obviously not allowed by Spot, but I'm sure every store but the strictest does it in some form. I mean say you're a major gamer freak that loves Halo 4. You pass by electronics, see the header, and think that it would look amazing in your room. You ask someone in electronics, they say its yours if you're discreet about it.

A year or so ago we had that 2-foot LEGO figure display in the LEGO aisle and we had so many people want it. Then Target made us send it back so there was no way it could be taken. Smart of them.

Anyone else know if this happens in your store? And have YOU taken anything? (I know I have once or twice...)

We are not supposed to take home anything that is copyrighted....such as, you can take home a picture of a princess or a dog, but not if it's A DISNEY princess or dog, etc.
Generic signs are ok to keep I was told.... So since HALO is a copyrighted game, technically you cannot take the sign home............but realistically, if some one did take it home I doubt that the Microsoft lawyers are going to come knocking on your door.
But if you want to be strictly legal then no you are not allowed to take it home.
Target had a giant picture of a hot dog hanging from the ceiling, in their picnic area....when they took it down I used it at our church at a hot dog roast we had. But since there was no writing on the sign, no target logo, no brand name listed, and you cant copyright a hot dog ....it was legal as far as i know.

Last edited:
I used to donate it all of our signing to a local school, and all the toy displays there too, it is a school for the physically and mentally challenged. toy displays meant a lot to them. Being able to learn you push the button and this happens on this display or push it on this one and something completely different happens. this last toy set I was told to recycle all of it. we will see what happens with the new toy set after Christmas. I always made it a rule that I would only donate to schools or organizations. That way I knew it wouldn't be tossed after each use. Our signs usually are awesome. I would like to see them reused time and time again, rather than just toss them. Our last few sets haven't been all that great and they haven't been beating down the doors for them. there was one year, I threw all the signing away, because the teachers were coming in and saying I want this and this and this. NO you get what I give you or you get nothing. they somewhat started demanding which signs they wanted or didn't want, so I tossed everything.

I no longer donate any displays. I will not under any circumstance allow any Licensed signing to be taken home or donated.

I did however allow the haunted house to be donated to the PTA. It was so generic, I couldn't see any reason not to, BUT then a tm threw a fit that SHE asked first for it and was really mad at me that I allowed someone else to take it.

Back to the rule that nothing is ever donated.

My rule is: Signing puts it in the trash/compactor, what happens after that point is no longer signing's responsibility.

I've always been curious about this.

The Lego displays would be cool to give away to my nephew..

When we had sleeping bag displays, I always handed those out. My daughter loved them for her "babies"....

I have some from back when a TL of mine would just distribute them to electronics employees from game releases and etc. I have a game release countdown clock frozen at 0d 0h 0m 0s chilling in my room :)

I also have quite a few instant sub. 3x5s floating about. Generally from product that was empty when scanned and filled when signed. *shrugs* spot kinda invades my life I guess...

I think technically right now all signing is to be destroyed. Anything licensed has been the case for a while because of licensing and copyright issues. As far as generic and non-licensed signing, it used to be okay to give this away but from what I recall - as soon as everything became baler-friendly officially it is supposed to be destroyed (ie baled with the cardboard). Of course really it is up to the LOD since they can just overrule what they want in the end. If someone is really keen on something I usually tell them "well, technically I have to toss it, but if it ends up in the compactor pile and I walk away I will never know if someone takes it....."

We used to take it home years ago, I've had tons of it ranging form the t-shirt squares to Halloween trees. Now I don't think anyone does, if so they are discreet about it.

One of the newer cashiers wanted the Avenger's display and begged signing and the TL at the time if she could have it but they refused.

One of our Team Leaders was just put on Final Warning for taking home signs. I would suggest that you don't. It's been made pretty clear by Corporate in the past that all signing needs to be destroyed.

One Guest @ My store, got the "Color Changes Everything" sign for her art classroom.

I kept an awesome Batman sign when the Dark Knight Rises first came out in theaters. Told my ETL-Log as he was about to put it in the trash if I can keep it and he said yeah.

I used to let people have the signs, even the ETL's asked for them.
Than we got a new ETL who went by the rule book, at least on the licensed ones.
I will let folks have the generic stuff but anything with a license goes in the bailer.

When other employees ask me for signs, I tell them I am throwing the stuff away. But if you take it from the baler/compactor area before it gets thrown away, I am not chasing you down or stopping you. I never give it to guests. I'd rather burn it then give it to the guests. They are just looking for more free stuff anyway.

Otherwise, I don't care what happens after I leave it in the trash area. I am not the baby sitter for the trash. We aren't allowed to have keys to the baler or the compactor so I have to just leave my trash back there until someone mozey's back there with a key. So, if you want it, take it. I always laugh when TL's or ETL's ask me for signs or old displays. Really? Aren't you the boss? Shouldn't YOU be telling ME to follow the rules instead of breaking them for your own personal gain.

I especially loved it when my ETL-LOG asked me for a transformer lego display. He actually asked me for it! What are you ... 5? As if I have any say about the actual running of the store. Meanwhile, you are using the P-card to buy yourself and the other 3 ETL's lunch. But you are going to ask ME for a display that is trash anyway. Lord have mercy, I really am beginning to fear for this company.

I have Little Mermaid & Pinnochio silk screened cloth banners from the first VHS release. Late 80s?? I believe they were the first Licensed Disney signs to be hung in Target stores.

Maybe they'll be worth something some day....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back