Archived Taking money out of the wrong register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your GSTL should have CSA's email.
Just keep your explanation short & simple: a register drawer malfunctioned & you had to pull funds from locs x & xx for a several transactions until you could disable the register.
Lesson learned; next in line?

I spoke to my ETL-AP about it, who simply shrugged and said it wasn't an issue. I think I can assume my store doesn't think it was too big of a deal, especially since I had my STL's backing.

Thx guys

I spoke to my ETL-AP about it, who simply shrugged and said it wasn't an issue. I think I can assume my store doesn't think it was too big of a deal, especially since I had my STL's backing.

Thx guys
Then unless corporate disagrees, you're fine.

From a seasoned GSA/GSTL standpoint who's had experiences with this, and seen the other side of it from shadowing a few different APTL's and an ETL_AP, and getting first hand knowledge on cash loss through them....

The priority is recording (on paper) how much you took from the drawer for the transactions, the register that isn't working, The register it came out of, and the sales date. If you want to go overboard and get pen-happy you could write down the times and whatnot too, but it isn't really necessary.

Email your CSA (sales audit) and let them know about the situation and list the amounts you've recorded. ***Depending on your store, you might just detail the situation on the note as well, and stick it in the deposit bag of the register you're taking money out of for that same sales date, and your CO TM can handle it all when s/he processes the sales day.***

I'd probably let your GSTL or ETL_GE know... but you should be CCing your AP-LEADER in the CSA emails anyway, so making a point to seek out an ap team member is a little too redundant, even for spot ;)

Last edited:
Here's what may happen: You'll be blamed for the equipment not working. It's no excuse that it's broken. It's totally your fault. Also, instead of making it expedient for the guest, which it sounds like you did, you should have made it extra hard and voided out the whole transaction. No matter what, they'll find a way to blame you. Doing the best you can is never good enough.

I feel like if Target was in charge at Jesus' crucifixion, even that wouldn't have been good enough. Some fuck off etl would have said, you didn't die fast enough or with a sense of urgency.

What the f--k did I just read?

So just so I'm clear along with Flabbergasted on how to handle this situation (because I likely would have done the same thing):

Situation: Guest purchases item and is owed change. Drawer malfunctions and doesn't open.

Behavior: Pull from adjacent register. Put register out of use. Record how much was taken, which register it was pulled from and which register it went to, and sales date. Partner with CO and send email to CSA recording the specifics. CC the ETL-AP.

That all correct?

It all sounds correct to me and that's exactly what I did. I took a blank piece of receipt paper, wrote down the amounts I took from other registers and the register #s (81, 82, etc.), then stapled that note to the back of the closing register checklist that evening.

It all sounds correct to me and that's exactly what I did. I took a blank piece of receipt paper, wrote down the amounts I took from other registers and the register #s (81, 82, etc.), then stapled that note to the back of the closing register checklist that evening.

That's all you need to do! :)

My cash office ladies would have a fit. That being said.. was it the right thing to do? I think any of my GSAs/GSTLS would do the same.. as long as you record the amount, the register it came out of, and the register it should have came out of.. it will correct itself when the cash office counts it.

Definitely close both registers next time though. The one broken for obvious reasons and the one you took money out of because you never know who can and will come behind you and swipe money out, taking advantage of your mistake.

That happened to me when I was trying to buy something on my break. The GSA refused to give me my change from another register and instead just rebooted it and called me up when she got it (about 30 mins later).

I asked what if it had happened to a guest and she just shrugged...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back