Target’s Stance on Marijuana

Target has long taken the stance of complying with federal guidelines when it comes to marijuana use and it’s drug policy. Target states it is a drug free workplace, period. If a TM is issued a drug test, whether pre-employment or post acceident/incident, and tests positive, there are repercussions. Period. No gray area, regardless of what your state law says. Target operates stores and distribution centers in many states that allow not only medical marijuana use, but also recreational use. Hell, a few states do not prosecute for what is considered a personal amount of even harder drugs. Yet Target, elects to follow the federally mandated guidelines. For those that are saying Target should pick/choose which federal laws to follow, think about the drug policy for a minute. Drugs in the workplace can create an unsafe environment for everyone, whether you are personally using or not.

People smoke in their cars on break. Not sure what the testing threshold is, but you basically have to be under the influence to pop, which seems right.

Recreationally face l ife, reality and stay away from that garbage. Dr. ordered medicinally administered is another story. This boring argument has been going on since the '60s.

Growing up in a state where it has been tacitly legal, or not illegal, since the 70s and where we made it fully legal in the first wave of states to do so things are a bit different up here in Alaska.
Owning a pot shop is not only considered a successful career, it has status.
Folks go home and get high on the regular.
Companies don't drug test unless they have federal contracts.
Even the feds kinda look the other way as long as it's not a huge operation.
The Target up here is just like all retail companies.
They have to roll with the local conditions to a certain degree, especially when it comes to hiring.
People aren't all a bunch of stoners up here but we don't take it as seriously as everyone else seems to.

People shouldn't be getting high at work or coming to work high, just as they should not be getting drunk at work or coming to work drunk. It's common sense. It's unprofessional and in many cases it can be dangerous to oneself and others.

A lot of people try to make the argument "But pot is legal now!" OK, alcohol is legal too, what's your point? If you can't get be or get drunk at work, then of course you should not be able to be or get high at work. HELLO.

People shouldn't be getting high at work or coming to work high, just as they should not be getting drunk at work or coming to work drunk. It's common sense. It's unprofessional and in many cases it can be dangerous to oneself and others.

A lot of people try to make the argument "But pot is legal now!" OK, alcohol is legal too, what's your point? If you can't get be or get drunk at work, then of course you should not be able to be or get high at work. HELLO.
Target's policy is too also drug test after a workplace injury.

If you have drugs and/or alcohol in your system they can deny workman's compensations and/or fire you.

Slam a bowl in the Chevvy on your 15. Cut your hand on the baler, go to the EmergiCenter for a tetanus shot and 7 stitches. Pee into a cup. Lose your job. Cool.

Target's policy is too also drug test after a workplace injury.

If you have drugs and/or alcohol in your system they can deny workman's compensations and/or fire you.
That's a little extreme and I think they should revisit it. Someone can smoke pot the night prior, show up to work perfectly lucid, get injured, and get fired.

That's a little extreme and I think they should revisit it. Someone can smoke pot the night prior, show up to work perfectly lucid, get injured, and get fired.
Yeah I don't know how they could work around that. Can they measure levels and figure out a threshold for pot? Like if it's past a certain level it means you must have smoked that day? I'm not sure how that would work.

Marijuana can stay in your system for up to a month on a urine test depending on how heavy you use.
For sure, but I think nowadays the thresholds are based on what could have represented intoxication at the time of the accident, rather than mere detection. Right? I'm not sure, been a while since I had to worry about this.

Recreationally face l ife, reality and stay away from that garbage. Dr. ordered medicinally administered is another story. This boring argument has been going on since the '60s.
I've seen people who could handle it just fine day to day, but on the other hand I've seen other people like me who could not, and used it to not face life/reality, and for me it was garbage. I try not to judge much on this one. Employers seem to be going that direction too.

Yeah I don't know how they could work around that. Can they measure levels and figure out a threshold for pot? Like if it's past a certain level it means you must have smoked that day? I'm not sure how that would work.
Maybe don't drug test and use the honor system, if you see something, say something. Not a big fan of drug tests in general.

Get your buzz from a good sweaty work out then treat yourself to some good ice cream. Seriously, don't mask reality as it's temporary and if you're nailed you're screwed. Never drive under the influence of anything.

technically you can test thresholds (the threshold for my recent test for my new job was… 50 micrograms? i think) but because of the way thc stores itself in the body it’s very hard to do timeline determinant testing like that

Target has long taken the stance of complying with federal guidelines when it comes to marijuana use and it’s drug policy. Target states it is a drug free workplace, period. If a TM is issued a drug test, whether pre-employment or post acceident/incident, and tests positive, there are repercussions. Period. No gray area, regardless of what your state law says. Target operates stores and distribution centers in many states that allow not only medical marijuana use, but also recreational use. Hell, a few states do not prosecute for what is considered a personal amount of even harder drugs. Yet Target, elects to follow the federally mandated guidelines. For those that are saying Target should pick/choose which federal laws to follow, think about the drug policy for a minute. Drugs in the workplace can create an unsafe environment for everyone, whether you are personally using or not.

The problem with testing for pot is there isn't an agreed upon threshold to measure when a person is impaired. It's not like alcohol, which in most areas that uses the 0.08 blood-alcohol measurement as the threshold.
The threshold for cannabis impairment can vary by the individual. For example, someone who smokes very little/infrequently may be totally impaired from a single joint. For daily users, it would take much more to cause a similar impairment.

Maybe don't drug test and use the honor system, if you see something, say something. Not a big fan of drug tests in general.
The honor system? Yeah, right. I used to be far more trusting of people. But working in retail and seeing the way people steal so much stuff and just mess things up generally for the fun of it has changed my mind. I know you're talking about TMs and not guests, but still.
I used to do HR work for a different company and some people will *work the system* any way they can to their own advantage, regardless of what it means for others, even their own coworkers.

The problem with testing for pot is there isn't an agreed upon threshold to measure when a person is impaired. It's not like alcohol, which in most areas that uses the 0.08 blood-alcohol measurement as the threshold.
The threshold for cannabis impairment can vary by the individual. For example, someone who smokes very little/infrequently may be totally impaired from a single joint. For daily users, it would take much more to cause a similar impairment.
But that's true for alcohol too. Some people are flat out drunk at .05-.06. Some people are barely feeling it at .09. A really big guy who's 300 lbs is going to have a higher tolerance than a small woman that's 98 pounds soaking wet, because of body differences and gender. .08 is a compromise that fits a majority of people. If you flunk a field sobriety test at .05, most states you can still be nailed for a DUI based on impairment.

technically you can test thresholds (the threshold for my recent test for my new job was… 50 micrograms? i think) but because of the way thc stores itself in the body it’s very hard to do timeline determinant testing like that
I worked in a jailhouse. When a person first starts work release they will be tested upon return. It will show levels and can determine if it was recently smoked or before you were sentenced.

I worked in a jailhouse. When a person first starts work release they will be tested upon return. It will show levels and can determine if it was recently smoked or before you were sentenced.

that would not be a urine test, which is what most places use for basic workers comp drug testing and such

So, there's Target corp's official stance, and there's what's done. If Target has any federal contracts at all, there's no chance they would indicate they're OK with employees using marijuana, but that doesn't mean they actively enforce those policies.

People have come to work smelling strongly enough of pot to make my eyes water in the TMSC and nobody says a word. If you get injured, you're going to have to take a test, so be aware of that, but otherwise it's been very much a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing at my store. And at many/most others, I suspect.

So, there's Target corp's official stance, and there's what's done. If Target has any federal contracts at all, there's no chance they would indicate they're OK with employees using marijuana, but that doesn't mean they actively enforce those policies.

People have come to work smelling strongly enough of pot to make my eyes water in the TMSC and nobody says a word. If you get injured, you're going to have to take a test, so be aware of that, but otherwise it's been very much a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing at my store. And at many/most others, I suspect.
If someone smelled strongly of whiskey, would anyone say anything then?

Back