Target CEO pay doubles.

And Great Recession. What little was done to prevent it was undone by companies wanting to play by the old rules.

That Great Recession was not caused by Equities or Leveraged Buyouts. It was caused by Major Investment Banks, leveraged 38 times their Cash on hand, and being heavily invested in Home Equity Loans & Home Mortgages to people with questionable ability to repay.

What was supposed to happen in theory, was these little blocks of Residual interest (excess interest, from homeowners paying above average rates) were supposed to cover losses from defaulting and souring loans. When 26% of the homeowners in these deals decide to stop paying either from no ability to pay, or simply walking away from a bad investment -- the whole theory imploded. Toss in declining home prices, and a 6% writedown (virtually unheard of before the crisis) - was enough to topple, and pull the cards on Lehman Brothers & Bear Stearns.

And to counter your original point, no, they don't have the ability to do what they did before the crisis. While I would say Credit Quality is somewhat similar, to what I saw before the crash, most homeowners have a somewhat documented ability to repay their loans, and there is a lot more scrutiny when it comes to home appraisals. More importantly, the government now guarantees most loans originated - so losses are almost impossible on many of these portfolios. What happened in 2008, is not going to happen anytime soon.

The Investment Banks on the street, besides Deutsche Bank are extremely well capitalized, and never before have had as much liquidity. There shouldn't be another bank failure anytime soon.

Yeah and the fire aisles are clear in the backrooms in every store.
Why don't you ask Martha Stewart about the SEC? I'm sure she has a different opinion of them.

My 401K consists of a mix of large/small, domestic/foreign stocks as well as cash & bonds spread out.
Company stock is less than 5% & I go in to adjust when it gets above that amount.
In early years when I ignored it Tgt stock took up nearly 70% & it was performing poorly at the time.
After that I dumped the majority of stock, diversified & it shot up.
I still only do 5% before tax as I can't afford any more & that's the max spot will match.
I also intend to work as long as I can since husband's consulting work is drying up.
We're lucky, tho; most of the younger kids I work with can't even afford to do the minimum & they're NOT big spenders.

The Target stock has been very bumpy, but I'm glad I've held on-to what I acquired while at Spot. I've been very satisfied with how it's performed the past few years, but you are right, NO ONE should have a 70% allocation. Imagine how the employees of Borders, or Circuit City felt about having all their eggs in one Basket.

With that said... Honestly, I do believe, with time, Target could eventually become a decent competitor to Amazon. I have a lot of faith, but I may be alone in that.

All that extra pay that is a ridiculous amount could be used to negotiate a better benefits plan and add 20 hour workers on, plus bump the hours up at all stores. A block of money goes a long way at the negotiating table.
What negotiating table?

What negotiating table?
Employer company vs benefits companies. Benefits companies want to get a high price, employer company plays them off against each other to get the price down. Make the amount higher and the benefits companies will be even more eager to give a little in order to get the contract.

Stock options that increase in value due to the labor that WE provide. I'll take some stock options to double my pay.
So invest in the stock market,. Put money in 401k. Then you will see your money grow.. Don't be a hater.

So invest in the stock market,. Put money in 401k. Then you will see your money grow.. Don't be a hater.

Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
Ambrose Bierce - The Devils Dictionary

Asking for someones blood as well as their labor is not a viable method of running a society.

How nice is it truly..that we live in a society with Freedom of Expression, instead of a Oppressed One under Communism? Something to think about.

How nice is it truly..that we live in a society with Freedom of Expression, instead of a Oppressed One under Communism? Something to think about.

Capitalism versus Communism are economic systems and have little do, theoretically, with freedom of expression. Though it's odd that the implementation of communism has been mostly under oligarchic rule.

Believe me, I'm no proponent of communism, I just find that correlation odd.

I do invest and make considerably more money due to compounding than I do by showing up at my job.

However, the deck is still stacked against the average worker who actually does ' the work' than those that SIT in the C-Suite and dream up that work. This is why the middle class has had stagnant wages (overall compensation, really) for decades while the rich keep getting richer.

Capitalism versus Communism are economic systems and have little do, theoretically, with freedom of expression. Though it's odd that the implementation of communism has been mostly under oligarchic rule.

Believe me, I'm no proponent of communism, I just find that correlation odd.

The problem with systems like communism is they require people to share common cause and ideals.
If some asshole decides to subvert those principles and make the government running the system into a totalitarian state, there is nothing to stop it from happening.
Just as there is nothing in capitalism that will keep a government from turning fascist.
However, as an economic system it doesn't come with the built in problems that capitalism does.
Capitalism is a system that needs government to keep it in check while communism needs to have the government kept in check to work properly.

Back