Archived Target is racist towards hispanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't surprise me... Honestly I think Hispanics are some of the hardest workers out there.

Agreed.
From the article I don't think they are being racist as actually trying to be sensitive to the fact that all Hispanics are not the same, just doing it very, very, very badly.

The memo definitely comes off insensitive, but I think it was trying to point out that all Hispanic/Latin races and ethnic groups aren't the same. That memo was a horrible way to do it. It seemed very off the cuff and almost trying to be funny, but you can't really make jokes if you're a business dealing with diversity issues. The whole memo could've been summed up with one bullet point: Treat people as individuals and not as stereotypes.

Saying that Target is racist against hispanics, is a bit far. Target isn't the only company that has guides or classes like the one mentioned.
But I'm going to be honest, the people responsible for this guide are idiots.

a. Food: not everyone eats tacos and burritos;
b. Music: not everyone dances to salsa;
c. Dress: not everyone wears a sombrero;

Enlightening!

ALL companies have RACIST employees, it's NEVER company policy to BE racist though

Every company has employees who ARE racist, but neither Target, nor ANY sensible company is Intentionally "racist". I do know that a major initiative came out of last years surveys which found that some feel there IS a problem with discrimination at Target in ALL (Hispanics, gays, blacks, women, overweight, etc) Hopefully something good will come from that research.

Saying that Target is racist against hispanics, is a bit far. Target isn't the only company that has guides or classes like the one mentioned.
But I'm going to be honest, the people responsible for this guide are idiots.

Target doesn't have anything like that. It was something prepared by an employee at the location (a DC), not something prepared by corporate. The article linked here doesn't mention it, but every other article I've seen about it does. See, e.g., Gawker or Huffington Post.

Actually Target does. Just because its one store doesn't mean they don't represent Target.

Had a guest one night in produce tell my Hispanic coworker that t was "wrong for target to keep him working in produce, just because he's a Mexican" I thought he was going to die laughing-"like it means I know more about fruit, or something?" He kept asking us....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back