Archived Target pulling out of Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU1grpn.jpg

Total ticket at my business was often more than $1000, which at Amex's 5% is $50 out of my pocket, as opposed to $20 or so for Visa/MC.

Square is 2.75% for each transaction. Honestly, I think a lot (if not close to all) Amex Card Holders, don't really use the account for personal stuff. When I got my card, it was just so I could have a charge account, and the company I was working for, could pay my bill in full.

It was much easier, than, having company checks printed, and signed. And it saved me a bunch of time. Plus, it didn't have a preset spending limit, so I could go spend $2,000+ at Staples, and not max out the card. Yeah. It made my life easier.

For my everyday stuff, I typically just swipe my Visa or Discover. But, for larger, big ticket things, I pay with my Amex because it offers much better protection if things go wrong.

I'm going to stop. But, all I'm saying is. There's loyalty there. And I wish all stores accepted the card.

Last edited:
On another note, I think the biggest thing, we should all be concerned about is the aftermath of this huge reported loss.

I can't see anything too positive about Target for the next year or so. I think were going to see even worse hour cuts, and, changes in the coming months.

...to put it plainly? Things up North suck right now :(

I haven't really seen many posts on this forum about the way the stores in Canada have been ravaged, so...here's a glimpse:

Low morale in all stores, high turnover rate, too many trucks received with no room to put out stock and stores running out of people to push it because people are jumping ship...some of the stores are emptying faster than others and trucks are being cancelled at random or being diverted to stores that are selling out better. Everything is ptm, and the new rule is if you can find space and make it fit, then it can go there. Anything goes at this point when it comes to stocking shelves, and the aisles have been hit hard by guests - zoning is incredibly difficult because of the amount of stock we've had to put out. And we have no more backrooms, so we can't backstock anything.

The guests are even more rude and degrading than usual, and have been giving us a hard time about the prices not being cut low enough - they don't seem to realize the liquidators have taken over price setting and percent cuts.

It's literally a cesspool of chaos, confusion and miscommunication, and it's heartbreaking to see my store dismantled like this after we worked so hard to set it all up. At this point, the people at my store are crossing their fingers and hoping for an early close.

Last edited:
...to put it plainly? Things up North suck right now :(

I haven't really seen many posts on this forum about the way the stores in Canada have been ravaged, so...here's a glimpse:

Low morale in all stores, high turnover rate, too many trucks received with no room to put out stock and stores running out of people to push it because people are jumping ship...some of the stores are emptying faster than others and trucks are being cancelled at random or being diverted to stores that are selling out better. Everything is ptm, and the new rule is if you can find space and make it fit, then it can go there. Anything goes at this point when it comes to stocking shelves, and the aisles have been hit hard - zoning is incredibly difficult because of the amount of stock we've had to put out. And we have no more backrooms, so we can't backstock anything.

The guests are even more rude and degrading than usual, and have been giving us a hard time about the prices not being cut low enough - they don't seem to realize the liquidators have taken over price setting and percent cuts.

It's literally a cesspool of chaos, confusion and miscommunication, and it's heartbreaking to see my store dismantled like this after we worked so hard to set it all up. At this point, the people at my store are crossing their fingers and hoping for an early close.

So sorry to hear you're going through this crap.

I am so sorry to hear of the crap Target Canada is going through. I was so excited about it when I first heard we were opening stores there, now it's imploded.

I was surprised to learn we opened all of those stores at once instead of dipping one toe in the water and opening a dozen stores in a relatively small area. You know, to test out the market.

We went too big, too fast. Also, we let our competition know we were coming and they were ready for us. I thought maybe one day, I could work for Target Canada. But now I don't think we will ever open another store outside of the U.S.A.

Again, so sorry to hear of the hardships you all are suffering up there. I hope everyone lands on their feet and finds something twice as good or more.

So sorry to hear you're going through this crap.

I am so sorry to hear of the crap Target Canada is going through. I was so excited about it when I first heard we were opening stores there, now it's imploded.

I was surprised to learn we opened all of those stores at once instead of dipping one toe in the water and opening a dozen stores in a relatively small area. You know, to test out the market.

We went too big, too fast. Also, we let our competition know we were coming and they were ready for us. I thought maybe one day, I could work for Target Canada. But now I don't think we will ever open another store outside of the U.S.A.

Again, so sorry to hear of the hardships you all are suffering up there. I hope everyone lands on their feet and finds something twice as good or more.

It's really disappointing how much Target hyped up their plan and how terrible the reality was.

My grandmother can't drive but she lives next to a mall where Target opened a store in the first wave of openings. She was so excited during construction that she would have somewhere else to get groceries besides the shitty Food Basics in the mall...But the selection was poor, many items were always out of stock, and the store quickly started deteriorating like the Zellers that used to be there.

None of this is the fault of the TMs and I am truly sorry for the crap you had to put up with and the even worse crap you are putting up with now.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the sentiments, and I'm sure my store's team would as well. It especially sucks since our team was so closeknit, almost like family. It'll be hard to find another job where you feel those close connections with so many people. Right now we're all just taking it one day at a time and rolling with the punches, because everything changes daily. Very disappointed with the overall turn of events, though, and as an hr tm (or former - I've been helping everywhere these days), I'm especially seeing the effects it's having on everyone. :(

Last edited:
it's heartbreaking to see my store dismantled like this after we worked so hard to set it all up.

This is probably the worst bit of it. I'd hate to see something I time and effort into basically be completely wrecked. Especially after hearing it from the higher ups constantly that things have to be crisp and zoned and planogramed, and now nobody gives a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back