Archived Target sued for death of young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes become internet comment sections are reliable sources of information.

There are still many unanswer questions on this matter. I am thinking there are several events outside of spot happened, we don't know about. We need to be patient & see the court stuff. But, @TSs thanks for the info.

They handcuffed and emptied his pockets at the entrance to the store?
Before he had even clocked in, they dragged him into the AP office in front of customers and employees?
If true, this isn't about stealing and is totally nuts.

Absolutely!

Why didn't police simply load him into their car & bring him down to the station for questioning?

Does Target have to sign forms BEFORE they can hand off employees to the police? If so, they could have signed the forms as soon as the officers arrived & bypassed the added embarrassment for this kid.

And then to find out that Target didn't even press any charges & the kid was simply released? Something is seriously wrong with this whole story & I think Target was looking for a way to fire him & blindly took advantage of the bully's allegations.

one of the things I'm wondering and I feel bad for this because it feels like victim blaming in a sense but

how did he survive the military?? Like, not even combat wise but like there's a lot of intense social situations.

idk

As far as I know, the military has pretty concrete rules & everyone plays by the same rules.

There's a whole lot of favoritism & immaturity in the ranks of Target's management. That could drive anyone over the brink & especially someone who can't cope with things that are unfair.

As far as I know, the military has pretty concrete rules & everyone plays by the same rules.

There's a whole lot of favoritism & immaturity in the ranks of Target's management. That could drive anyone over the brink & especially someone who can't cope with things that are unfair.

I think what @oath2order and I were wondering if they still have a lot of hazing at boot camp? And if so how would that work?

I think what @oath2order and I were wondering if they still have a lot of hazing at boot camp? And if so how would that work?

From what I understand the hazing that you see in the movies is pretty much gone.
Yes, boot camp is still a place that strips away the civilian ideas and expectations to replace them with military ideas and expectations but they've got it down to a fine art.
There are rules about what can be said and done these days.

But even if boot camp is still harsh, a person with Aspergers might be able to tolerate that since there is still a sensible order to the way 'punishment' is doled out. Especially since everyone is treated (mistreated) equally.

In the work environment this kid probably expected to be treated the same way everyone else was & yet he had trouble with that unnamed TM & finally confronted him, from what we have heard.

Didn't you just say they that HR was side-stepped or cut-out? You can't then just go and say "she may want to remove this based on the screw-up" if they were side stepped.

I think you're really just looking for reasons to dislike Target with this post because you first go and claim HR was ignored but then you go and blame HR for it.

Didn't you just say they that HR was side-stepped or cut-out? You can't then just go and say "she may want to remove this based on the screw-up" if they were side stepped.

I think you're really just looking for reasons to dislike Target with this post because you first go and claim HR was ignored but then you go and blame HR for it.

I'd say that if HR allowed themselves to be cut out of the picture they weren't doing their job correctly.

I'd say that if HR allowed themselves to be cut out of the picture they weren't doing their job correctly.

Well, there is that, though, the way I'm looking at is from the viewpoint of this: The line "I support 60 stores", and senior GVP mentioned probably does roughly the same. While it does make sense that senior GVP should have noticed smething I guess, I'd be more concerned about their ETL-HR. The hell was he/she? That's the person who really should have been more involved.

it's fucking huge

it almost has everything: pharmacy, photo, why does the site still say beauty concierge, pFresh, Starbucks, Target Mobile, wine, flu shots, apple store.

Last edited:
it's fucking huge

it almost has everything: pharmacy, photo, why does the site still say beauty concierge, pFresh, Starbucks, Target Mobile, wine, flu shots, apple store.
What? Target Mobile and an apple store...in a target store? Never heard of that...

I believe the Apple Store they are referring to is the new (well last year) Electronics Experience roll out. Expanded electronics department and some actually have apple reps working in store.

I may be wrong though and they do have a actual Apple store in there.

I believe the Apple Store they are referring to is the new (well last year) Electronics Experience roll out. Expanded electronics department and some actually have apple reps working in store.

I assume it looks similar to how it's done in Best Buy. A few white tables with MacBooks, iPads, etc. and an Apple rep available to help.

If they didn't export video of the incident then there will be no video. Max 30 days retention on all (except for one) of cameras in a store.

Little bits and pieces are getting into print on this botched handling of the Graham Gentles issue.

The below powerful article is quoted in part FYI as it has some new information plus the much repeated older info. Might be worth taking a look at the entire article which is titled:

Target Sued – The Ethical Price of Humiliating an Employee

"He apparently had gotten into a fight outside of the workplace with another Target employee, and soon after several co-workers banded together and accused him of stealing from the store. Store management never found any merchandise in his possession. All they had to go on were the conspiratorial words of the co-workers.

Rather than questioning the employee and those that had accused him, they assumed he was a thief. The store management/security and the police proceeded to humiliate him by marching him around the store in handcuffs. They deserve their lawsuit.

There were no lines and no boundaries. There was only the need to exact punishment on an employee who may have had difficulties relating to others. Many with Asperger’s are socially awkward. They want to relate, but may not always know quite how to do so. Graham Gentles may have been viewed by several co-workers as being a target; a fool or worse. It is easy to gang-up on such a person; indeed, some people derive joy from ganging up rather than accepting and acceptance.

The walk of shame, shamed the young man to end his life. This did not need to happen."

Full article at:
http://www.chuckgallagher.com/target-sued-ethical-price-humiliating-employee/#comment-3922

That is hardly new information...It is just the random words and hearsay of someone who has a blog on the internet. That person's source was British tabloid "The Daily Mail," which got its info from two local LA TV affiliates, who both got their info from the same news service.

So it is the same information that has been floating around, but retold multiple times.

While most would agree that something truly messed up happened here, it does not help anyone by constantly speculating about the details. All we can do is wait for the lawsuit to run its course.

I checked my local store with the EE roll out and it doesn't list Apple Store. Hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back