Target to buy Shipt for $550 Million

My spouse works for Meijer, so I was eyeing Shipt when they first partnered up. The Uber comparison is apt. They were using independent contractors who set their own schedules, stores and delivery areas. I suspect that Target will maintain that business model when they take over.

Shipt is basically like Uber for groceries, where anyone with a smartphone can do it as a side gig. So I guess this won't have that big of an impact on SFS if team members aren't the ones who are picking the orders.

Hrm, considering that I see the same guests daily, I wonder how many other companies there are that people shop for as a side gig?

Last edited:
Hrm, considering that I see the same guests daily, I wonder how many other companies there are that people shop for as a side gig?

those are the people who "came here for just one thing" and end up leaving with two carts full of stuff because they have no self control

Who is going to pick it then? as Shipt will no longer be a "sidejob" but owned by our company, and using its own payroll
Like Uber, it's "independent contractors" aka any random person with a smartphone who can pass a background check. Target is promising to keep Shipt as a separate business since they don't want to scare away any competitors who currently use it or are considering using it. I would assume this means they will maintain the same picking and delivery methods that they currently use.

Instacart is the other big one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there's other ones too.

Wow, looks like our hours are gonna get massacred again just like after the Canada debacle.

Can't wait until Target sells this to Uber in 8 months for $10 million.

I work for Shipt as my side job and they did a Facebook live video yesterday to talk to us about it. Probably won't see any differences in the store other than maybe some advertising for Shipt. We basically just come in and buy what's on someone's shopping list and deliver it. They told us nothing is changing for us Shipt shoppers other than adding Target to the list of stores we shop from. Currently in my area we only have Meijer to shop from so I'm happy I'll be getting more orders.

I work for Shipt as my side job and they did a Facebook live video yesterday to talk to us about it. Probably won't see any differences in the store other than maybe some advertising for Shipt. We basically just come in and buy what's on someone's shopping list and deliver it. They told us nothing is changing for us Shipt shoppers other than adding Target to the list of stores we shop from. Currently in my area we only have Meijer to shop from so I'm happy I'll be getting more orders.

Yeah reminds me of Amazons flex program where drivers deliver packages for customers or doordash/ubereats.

Nice way to make extra money for those who need the flexibility to not work a regular scheduled job.

Back when I was part time at spot I padded my checks with such odd jobs

Honestly if TMs are allowed to (I don’t see why not) I’d wanna do this lol. $500 a week? Sometimes more than what I make in two. This, on top of my target pay? Would be making bank

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to, if anything you probably just won't be allowed to shop at the store you work at.

I personally make about $250 a week but it just depends on how many orders you do. We also get paid every Friday. It's a really great side job, I honestly couldn't be any happier working for them. Very flexible and a great company that cares about it's employees.

Honestly if TMs are allowed to (I don’t see why not) I’d wanna do this lol. $500 a week? Sometimes more than what I make in two. This, on top of my target pay? Would be making bank

My only concern is with Amazon's flex program they don't let their warehouse workers do both. I wonder if target will create similar language.

Also beware of independent contracting. I used to drive uber. You may think you're making that much money but you're also spending money on gas, wear and tear on your vehicle. I remember once uber was so slow I made 30 bucks driving for 6 hours, much of it waiting for a ride.

Came out to less than minimum wage

My only concern is with Amazon's flex program they don't let their warehouse workers do both. I wonder if target will create similar language.

Also beware of independent contracting. I used to drive uber. You may think you're making that much money but you're also spending money on gas, wear and tear on your vehicle. I remember once uber was so slow I made 30 bucks driving for 6 hours, much of it waiting for a ride.

Came out to less than minimum wage

I'm not sure about every store but for the most part store employees can be Shipt shoppers but just can't shop at the store they work at. I emailed Shipt asking about this and they said they don't have an answer yet but I'm hoping it will be the same for Target.

One good thing about Shipt is that you can just be sitting at home until you get an order offered to you, you don't have to be waiting in the store parking lot or anything (I think InstaCart makes you do that, not sure.)

Oh that’s dumb if you can’t do it at the store you work at. I was thinking of like, clocking out and then like doing an order since I’d still be there lol

Back