Archived Target to stop processing film

Status
Not open for further replies.

adboardartist

Photo Lab Philanderer
So today our Kodak tech came and deactivated our T15 film processor, which means we won't be developing film orders anymore. Since its one of my babies, I nearly died.

Apparently its a company wide initiative. Be prepared all ye poor photo souls.

This makes sense, since a lot of people have been using digital cameras for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Target stops selling film, if they haven't already.

I thought Target stopped processing film in late 2009? All the ones that I've worked in did and stopped the Fujifilm send out service almost a year ago.

In related news Target also stopped selling phones with dials on them and.. I don't know... something else archaic... postage stamps?

From what I remember, there was a scale back plan in place for the last couple years. A lot of the older photolabs would still process film. While the newer photolabs would send it out to be processed.

Last edited:
I know for certain stores (perhaps even most stores) it makes sense to remove their film processors, but our lab has always been ultra high volume when it comes to film. The day before it was removed i ran 12 rolls, and we had to turn away an additional 14 yesterday when they took it away. At that point I'd question the reasoning behind stopping our ability to process film. Even if it still made economic sense to remove our T15, they could have at least given us some warning to wean our film crowd on to digital cameras.
But that's probably too much to ask for.

Are you all not even sending it out to an outside lab?

The stores in our area abruptly halted their Fuji send out service as well.

Ohhhhhh, no!!! They threatened to take our T15 away when we got our poster printer, but it hasn't happened yet. It is one of my babies also, and I like being able to run my own film. :( Booooooo!

We don't send to an outside lab, so I'm thinking the only place in town left to do film is Wal-Mart. :blowup:

Our store got rid of the one hour photo ages ago and replaced it with a simple photo send-out service by Fuji. About three months ago (ish) we stopped that and stuck with the Kodak Picture Maker.

I am extremely glad we got rid of the photo send-out for a number of reasons, some of which included cleaning crew disposing of undeveloped film, and online orders not being delivered to the store when promised (and us having no knowledge of them).

Kodak Picture Maker is good, except when I have to go over there every ten minutes because someone's pictures got stuck in the machine...

My lab stopped doing film in house a few years ago. We stopped doing send-out film in September/October 2010.

Doesn;t surprise me. Besides the high end DSLRS and point and shoots a lot just snap photos with their phones now.

What will they do with all that extra space? What was in the spot of the photo labs before the photo labs came?

What will they do with all that extra space? What was in the spot of the photo labs before the photo labs came?
I think I should clarify: photo labs as a whole are not shutting down (unless yours is not profitable). Digital orders can still be printed, we just aren't going to be able to develop film anymore.

I didn't know Target even processed film (I think my store does digital only). Then again, we still have those disposable Kodak film cameras in the impulse buys at the registers.

I wonder if this means that Target is doing away with the Photo Lab Assistant position...

As a current photo lab assistant, I sincerely doubt it. The film processor only really accounted for about 15% of my workload. We still have three-ish printers, two scanners, two kodak picture kiosks, and an APEX order controller to worry about. Not to mention all the ordering I do. Its certainly worth the extra dollar an hour to keep it all straight.

If you lose film, you lose the "assistant" role.

I dealt with 2 APEX 7000 printers, 2 kiosks w/6850 printers, a kiosk connected 8800, and an apex connected 8800. That, in addition to 2 printers w/o kiosks, two flat scanners and a rapid print scanner. Not to mention the epson poster printer. I was simply a Photo TM.

Is assistant N07 or N09? And I can only assume photo TM is N05 or N03?

If you lose film, you lose the "assistant" role.

I dealt with 2 APEX 7000 printers, 2 kiosks w/6850 printers, a kiosk connected 8800, and an apex connected 8800. That, in addition to 2 printers w/o kiosks, two flat scanners and a rapid print scanner. Not to mention the epson poster printer. I was simply a Photo TM.

I've been assured my position isn't going anywhere (oddly enough by the DTL). It helps that my lab is freakishly high volume. Also, I'm noticing that you had a completely dry lab, perhaps that had something to do with it?

Also, photo assistant (at my store) is PG09

This sounds like a pretty cool work area, I'm sorry to hear you guys are running into trouble. Hopefully you all get to keep your ranks!

I was wondering are stores still allowed photo TLs if the photo dept is high enough volume or was that done away with one of the AEs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back