Archived Target took over 4 months to send me my final check, and when they did it was expired

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what I should do about this. I had my mother deposit the check into my bank account (as I am now living in another country) and the check was apparently expired. My bank charged me a $25 fee for depositing an expired check as well.

Are there any legal actions I can take? I'm so upset and angry about this.

I'm not sure what I should do about this. I had my mother deposit the check into my bank account (as I am now living in another country) and the check was apparently expired. My bank charged me a $25 fee for depositing an expired check as well.

Call TMSC and explain the situation to them. I would ask for someone who handles payroll issues. They have to pay you regardless. Just be friendly when you speak to them, it only hurts YOU if you aren't. Good luck.

Last edited:
Oh yes. You can take legal action against Target, they got work from you without paying you. It's quite easy to do so.

Hang on a second. Was the check 4 months old, or did it take that long to reach you? I'm not clear on this, as you stated you were out of the country.

Hang on a second. Was the check 4 months old, or did it take that long to reach you? I'm not clear on this, as you stated you were out of the country.

It took over 4 months to reach the house. My mother received it in the mail about a week ago.

Oh yes. You can take legal action against Target, they got work from you without paying you. It's quite easy to do so.

Would it be worth it though? I don't even know where to start or what to do.

I would contact TMSC first like Spike said, they should be quick to handle it.
Just be polite. patient, and make sure the have all the information they need.
I'm sure they'll want to take care of the problem (though I wouldn't be surprised if you get bounced around a bit).
If that doesn't work small claims court and perhaps the labor board for your state would be the next step.

Ok, I'm not sure about this because I don't have a check on hand, but aren't they good for 6 months?

Ok, I'm not sure about this because I don't have a check on hand, but aren't they good for 6 months?

Let's see...it was around 4 months I think. I quit early August and received the check late January. Either way, it should not have taken them that long to send it.

So ummm, what did you do at Target? And what are you doing now, in Italy as your profile states. And, if not to be totally rude, how much did Target owe you?

Actually, I once had a non deposited check from Target that got outdated and they got a hold of me about that very thing. So I'm sure it's not a problem.

So ummm, what did you do at Target? And what are you doing now, in Italy as your profile states. And, if not to be totally rude, how much did Target owe you?

Actually, I once had a non deposited check from Target that got outdated and they got a hold of me about that very thing. So I'm sure it's not a problem.

I was a softlines team member at Target, but I also worked operator and cashier shifts.

I live and study in Italy.

Target owes me $150. I realize that may not seem like much but every cent means a lot to me right now.

What irritates me is the fact that I didn't receive my check until so many months later...and it's expired.

That depends on your state law.

They owe you for the bank fees, interest, and a few other categories l.

Strange. I can think of one possible scenario: You went on educational LOA six months ago and were just termed now (EDU LOA max is six months). Did you have direct deposit? If not, maybe the store has had your last paycheck -- from Sep or Aug -- all this time. When they did the term, they decided to send it out to you. (If you have accrued vacation/ph/sick time, you should also receive a check from HQ for those hours.) Anyway, I don't know why the store would keep your check all this time. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Just a stab in the dark, though. There could be a number of explanations. Anyway, this matter should be easy to fix by calling -- If payroll hasn't already contacted you.

something like this happened to me at ups, and then a year later i got a notice in the mail saying the check was never cashed and the reissued it. Lol that don't mean squat though, Target wouldn't necessarily do the right thing like ups did.

Oh, and don't those checks expire after six months? Got me wondering now...

I was a softlines team member at Target, but I also worked operator and cashier shifts.

I live and study in Italy.

Target owes me $150. I realize that may not seem like much but every cent means a lot to me right now.

What irritates me is the fact that I didn't receive my check until so many months later...and it's expired.

And where did you think the money was? Even if Target is legally to blame, I still consider it your responsibility to track your money. Have you been contacting Target asking about it? Have they not responded to your requests? Juan's scenario makes a heck of a lot of sense too. People have sued for stupider things, but I really don't thinking suing Target b/c you forgot about your final paycheck is the right thing to do.

No offense intended, but did you make sure you had the most accurate, up-to-date address on file? Did you includ your APT or Floor # if necessary? Did you include if it's a Street or Avenue? The appropriate city name and full zip code? Did you have the final payout discussion with your HR on your last day of employment or did you NCNS? In states where final pay is due on the last day of employment, they would have had a payout voucher ready for you on your last day of employment if you were there that day. Checks are only valid 120 days, it says that right on them. My sympathies that you are having to go through this, but regretably, depending on all of the circumstances of your termination, it could end up being partially your fault. Target will not be able to refund you the 25$ fee if you cashed a check that was expired unfortunately. Did you try to go in to pick up your final check or call the HR dept to find out it's whereabouts? Paychecks are not kept at the stores for more than a few days, after that usually will send the check out to the address on file. Again, so sorry you are having to go through this, you will have to call the Team Member Service Center 800-394-1885 to request a replacement paycheck. I have to warn you, that process can take up to 3 business days to process the request, and then from there they'll probably quote you 7 to 10 delivery days unfortunately. That will be your only option at this point. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Let's see...it was around 4 months I think. I quit early August and received the check late January. Either way, it should not have taken them that long to send it.

I agree. I was fired early November 2011 and it took like. 2 weeks for it to send. Rip them a new *******.

And where did you think the money was? Even if Target is legally to blame, I still consider it your responsibility to track your money. Have you been contacting Target asking about it? Have they not responded to your requests? Juan's scenario makes a heck of a lot of sense too. People have sued for stupider things, but I really don't thinking suing Target b/c you forgot about your final paycheck is the right thing to do.

Yes, I have contacted Target several times about my check. Keep in mind that international calls are very expensive. Yesterday I contacted them again and they redirected me to another number. I'll have to wait until Monday to call.

I didn't "forget" my final check. I waited for it because I didn't know how long it was supposed to take for me to receive it. I assumed it took so long because it was my final pay...I didn't know.

And yes, I did put the correct address and all that. I have received things from my Target in the mail fine before.

Last edited:
Strange. I can think of one possible scenario: You went on educational LOA six months ago and were just termed now (EDU LOA max is six months). Did you have direct deposit? If not, maybe the store has had your last paycheck -- from Sep or Aug -- all this time. When they did the term, they decided to send it out to you. (If you have accrued vacation/ph/sick time, you should also receive a check from HQ for those hours.) Anyway, I don't know why the store would keep your check all this time. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Just a stab in the dark, though. There could be a number of explanations. Anyway, this matter should be easy to fix by calling -- If payroll hasn't already contacted you.

It was definitely not a leave of absence. I put in my two weeks and handed in all the paperwork.

Your paycheck can be easily replaced by calling the TMSC 800-394-1885 - it could take up to 2 weeks before it reaches you by mail however.
It was definitely not a leave of absence. I put in my two weeks and handed in all the paperwork.

I don't think there's any issue about getting a replacement check once you inform them that the current expired check was not cashed. Those wages are your property and for Target to withhold it would probably be theft. lol I used to work in a dining hall in college and got an email almost 5 years later that I had neglected to cash one of my paychecks. I promptly made contact and got a replacement check in no time.

However, I think the real issue is whether you can do anything about the bank fee for depositing an expired check and the associated costs to yourself to arrange for the replacement. My gut feeling is that you won't have much luck getting Target to reimburse you for any of that. It seems that it would be your/your mother's responsibility to make sure the check was good and not expired prior to the deposit. Though you might try to reason with the bank, explain the situation, and see if they might waive the fee this time. Depending on your bank, they can be lenient to first-time offenses or extenuating circumstances.

The paycheck can easily be replaced by calling the TMSC. If you wait until the 6 month mark, you will get a postcard asking if that paycheck still needs replacing. Unfortunately, I know definitively that you won't be reimbursed for the bank fees. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Best of luck to you though
I don't think there's any issue about getting a replacement check once you inform them that the current expired check was not cashed. Those wages are your property and for Target to withhold it would probably be theft. lol I used to work in a dining hall in college and got an email almost 5 years later that I had neglected to cash one of my paychecks. I promptly made contact and got a replacement check in no time.

However, I think the real issue is whether you can do anything about the bank fee for depositing an expired check and the associated costs to yourself to arrange for the replacement. My gut feeling is that you won't have much luck getting Target to reimburse you for any of that. It seems that it would be your/your mother's responsibility to make sure the check was good and not expired prior to the deposit. Though you might try to reason with the bank, explain the situation, and see if they might waive the fee this time. Depending on your bank, they can be lenient to first-time offenses or extenuating circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back