Archived Target Waffles on Guns in Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target's statement on bringing guns into stores is really weak tea. Please don't bring them in but we won't do anything if you do. I, personally, will go out the nearest exit, preferably an alarmed exit, if I see someone carry a gun into my store. How am I supposed to tell a "good guy with a gun" from a wacko nutjob murderer?

This is just more of the "be bold", take any coupon, give away the store nonsense. Our leadership is WEAK!

By the way, I am a gun owner and enjoy shooting sports, but I feel no need to carry guns around in public, intimidating others.

Here's a commentary on Target's policy. Read the comments:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...sk-you-to-leave-your-guns-at-home?showAll=yes

Yeah I have sort have learned from life experience, if the guys with guns are not in uniforms of Law Enforcement or Military(US or Canadian) I am going the opposite direction in a pretty big hurry.. The odds of the random guy with a gun being a good guy - not all that good in my experience.

My experience your may vary.

My state has some surprisingly reasonable statutes in place about this. Our gun laws are extremely loose, but certain things like what they're referring to are prevented. While open carry is legal and even concealed carry does not require a permit, carrying an unholstered firearm around can be considered at best reckless display, at worst assault with a deadly weapon.

I, personally, will go out the nearest exit, preferably an alarmed exit, if I see someone carry a gun into my store. How am I supposed to tell a "good guy with a gun" from a wacko nutjob murderer?
s

I have no idea how many people have carried guns into the store. They are not brandishing them around. If they are criminal, a sign or a law isn't going to stop them.

Blah, before I put in my two weeks I concealed carried (legally of course, have my permit) at work all the time, on the sales floor, etc. Small Ruger LCP .380 caliber pistol with one in the chamber.

Nobody ever noticed or said anything, as it should be.

I will continue to concealed carry when I shop at my former store. And nobody will be the wiser, as it was when i carried on the clock.

I am not in an open carry state, so if someone comes in with a gun, who is not the police, Garda, or the ATM guy, I will be getting my FFF butt off the floor immediately. Yes, we have concealed carry, but the point of that is that is concealed....so if I can see it, you're doing it wrong.

I may need to consult the handbook, but I'm pretty sure team members are not allowed to carry weapons at work. Even if you have a concealed carry permit, you still aren't allowed to carry it at work.

Why does everyone care about this issue? Even if Target bans guns that only hurts the lawful gun owners. If I was a criminal I wouldn't care about the "no guns" sign..and walk in there anyways and shoot you.

True. Criminals and evil doers don't give a shite about laws and rules. Besides, some evil but will just knives or swords or throw acid on someone if they can't find a gun. If someone wants to cause death and destruction, they're going to do everything in their power to make it happen.

According to the latest version of the handbook (while i still worked at Spot), seemed OK to me. Falls under the "as permitted by law" category, as I am permitted by law to concealed carry. Talked to an ETL about it, said i was probably in the clear, though they strongly recommended not doing it.

Attachments

• 2013-09-23 10.28.14.jpg
    2013-09-23 10.28.14.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Why does everyone care about this issue? Even if Target bans guns that only hurts the lawful gun owners. If I was a criminal I wouldn't care about the "no guns" sign..and walk in there anyways and shoot you.

This is an oft repeated form of logical fallacy by the pro-gun crowd. By criminalizing open carry what happens is that the second someone sees a gun they can get the hell out of dodge call the police and that gun carrier has already committed a crime. Whereas if open carry is legal one has to wait to see if the person carrying the gun openly is a nutcase before knowing how to react. Personally if I come into contact with someone who is openly carrying a firearm that isn't hunting, at a gun range, a security professional or a law enforcement officer I am getting the fuck out of there and that's all there is to it.

This is an oft repeated form of logical fallacy by the pro-gun crowd. By criminalizing open carry what happens is that the second someone sees a gun they can get the hell out of dodge call the police and that gun carrier has already committed a crime. Whereas if open carry is legal one has to wait to see if the person carrying the gun openly is a nutcase before knowing how to react. Personally if I come into contact with someone who is openly carrying a firearm that isn't hunting, at a gun range, a security professional or a law enforcement officer I am getting the fuck out of there and that's all there is to it.

A 1,000 times this!

Also, if someone comes in and starts shooting, I would prefer to not have a bunch of poorly trained amateurs with guns deciding they are going to be heroes and start shooting as well. First, the rest of us don't know if you are a good guy or a bad guy, and second, your bullets are just as deadly! In my world, the less people shooting guns around me, the better.

A big problem with these gun activists is that open carrying a rifle is going to do nothing for self defense even though they claim thats why they are carrying them. A long gun strapped to your back is going to be very hard to bring to bear in closed quarters such as the lego aisle. Also even if they go to the range to learn to shoot most people do not have the training to safely and accurately use a gun in a self defense situation. So even if they are able to bring their gun to the ready, the chances of them being able to hit their target among other panicked guests and TMs is very small.

All these crazy nut bars are doing is making normal gun owners look bad and scaring other people.

Knives, swords, baseball bats, cricket paddles, tennis rackets, dumb bells, hammers, screw drivers, mops, brooms, pipes, rakes, shovels, etc... must be banned too.

If you ban guns because they are deadly weapons then you have to ban the items that I mentioned as well. Better yet, ban people's hands too. Where do you draw the line?

Ban bleach too because you can pour onto someone's face and blind them with it. So many things that are designed to not be weapons can be weapons.

Blah, before I put in my two weeks I concealed carried (legally of course, have my permit) at work all the time, on the sales floor, etc. Small Ruger LCP .380 caliber pistol with one in the chamber.

Nobody ever noticed or said anything, as it should be.

I will continue to concealed carry when I shop at my former store. And nobody will be the wiser, as it was when i carried on the clock.

Paranoid much? And totally against policy. Glad you are gone.

Knives, swords, baseball bats, cricket paddles, tennis rackets, dumb bells, hammers, screw drivers, mops, brooms, pipes, rakes, shovels, etc... must be banned too.

If you ban guns because they are deadly weapons then you have to ban the items that I mentioned as well. Better yet, ban people's hands too. Where do you draw the line?

Ban bleach too because you can pour onto someone's face and blind them with it. So many things that are designed to not be weapons can be weapons.

Not a single one of those items is going to kill someone from a distance and not a single one of those items could enable a lone person to walk into a movie theater, elementary school or convenience store and kill 30 people in a few minutes.

@Jackswastedlife99 If someone brings in a knife sword and is brandishing it outside of their sheath, you bet I'm getting the fuck out of there.

There is nothing wrong with concealing a weapon for self defense, but open display is unnecessary and can unnerve people.

Yeah I have sort have learned from life experience, if the guys with guns are not in uniforms of Law Enforcement or Military(US or Canadian) I am going the opposite direction in a pretty big hurry.. The odds of the random guy with a gun being a good guy - not all that good in my experience.

Uniformed military (US) are very rarely allowed to carry weapons off base. About the only time you will see them is if they are traveling as a unit to a field exercise at a nearby base and they make a pit stop at a gas station. 90% of the time, they are required to hand their weapon off before going inside. In the rare event that the CO authorizes them to keep their weapons slung, it will ALWAYS be unloaded.

A big problem with these gun activists is that open carrying a rifle is going to do nothing for self defense even though they claim thats why they are carrying them. A long gun strapped to your back is going to be very hard to bring to bear in closed quarters such as the lego aisle. Also even if they go to the range to learn to shoot most people do not have the training to safely and accurately use a gun in a self defense situation. So even if they are able to bring their gun to the ready, the chances of them being able to hit their target among other panicked guests and TMs is very small.

Pretty much this. Most gun hobbyists I've known like to practice military airsoft shooting techniques which have 0 application in the civilian world. Things like suppressive fire don't work when it's 1-2 targets with a dozen innocent bystanders nearby .

Generally, open carrying a weapon makes you the first target if a criminal is going to rob/shoot up the place. Most criminals will scout the area first before carrying out their plan (after all you don't want to rob one register only to find out there's a uniform cop in the lane behind you). When someone is obviously armed, the criminal is more likely to just shoot him in the back of the head and eliminate that threat immediately.

Case in point: In 2011, 72 cops were murdered on duty, the majority of which by firearms. Only 17 of them were able to shoot back. (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...eloniously-killed/officers-feloniously-killed).

Not a single one of those items is going to kill someone from a distance and not a single one of those items could enable a lone person to walk into a movie theater, elementary school or convenience store and kill 30 people in a few minutes.

I can't explain why I will not be around open carry guns, but lets just say I know all to well what "going postal" looks like. And most of these open carry gun nuts don't show a lot of respect for that weapon they carry.

And I seriously think you have a mental issue if you feel the need to walk around with a AR15 slung over your shoulder for a trip to Target.

Backroom - I know Military doesn't carry off base, except when they are on duty working. Which I have seen in person. After a major incident in the city I grew up in. They were actively patrolling. I can't go into more detail, but they were out on the street helping to stop what was going on. If I came out and said what my experience was it would for sure give away who I am, if any of my co-workers read this site.

Last edited:
I grew up in a state with the loosest carry rules and people drive around with with gun racks in their trucks.
We don't have these problems because most people are raised to treat guns like tools and not toys.
I suspect if the open carry yahoos tried that crap here they would be laughed out of the store but who knows.
I believe in gun rights just not for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back