Archived Target's Response to opening on Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Being a former Team Member, I love having the freedom to tell Target off.

I posted a comment of my own about Target opening up on Thanksgiving on their Facebook page....Here is their response.

"Target Hi B******* - Target’s opening time was carefully evaluated with our guests and team members in mind. Our opening time this year reflects the feedback we have heard from our guests – many prefer to shop following their family gatherings rather than in the very early hours of the morning.-Jes"

I really want to see the research and surveys on this guest feedback for Black Friday openings because I find this response hard to believe. What family wants to go out and stand in line at 3-4pm Thanksgiving after their hefty Thanksgiving meal so they can be the first ones to get into Target at 9pm and grab the first of the doorbusters.

I made a second separate post....

Target:
Hi B******* - Target’s opening time was carefully evaluated with our guests and team members in mind. Our opening time this year reflects the feedback we have heard from our guests – many prefer to shop following their family gatherings rather than in the, rather than shopping in the very early hours of the morning.-Jami

Straight from Target's website
http://abullseyeview.com/target-talks-thanksgiving-and-black-friday/

Are team members forced to work or prohibited from requesting Thanksgiving or Black Friday off?
There is no corporate policy mandating that people have to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday and our staffing needs vary from store to store. Across the company, about one-third of Target’s store team members are scheduled to work on Thanksgiving and less than two-thirds of our team members are scheduled to work on Friday. Team member preferences were considered when creating the schedules and our store leadership teams are continuing to have conversations with their team members to address any concerns.

YES

straight from target's website
are team members forced to work or prohibited from requesting thanksgiving or black friday off?
There is no corporate policy mandating that people have to work on thanksgiving or black friday and our staffing needs vary from store to store. Across the company, about one-third of target’s store team members are scheduled to work on thanksgiving and less than two-thirds of our team members are scheduled to work on friday. Team member preferences were considered when creating the schedules and our store leadership teams are continuing to have conversations with their team members to address any concerns.

yes
wow!

The only reason they are opening on Thanksgiving is because they want to try and be the first store open before the other retailers. If the other stores waited until Friday, Target would too. It has nothing to do with customers.

Are team members forced to work or prohibited from requesting Thanksgiving or Black Friday off?
There is no corporate policy mandating that people have to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday and our staffing needs vary from store to store. Across the company, about one-third of Target’s store team members are scheduled to work on Thanksgiving and less than two-thirds of our team members are scheduled to work on Friday. Team member preferences were considered when creating the schedules and our store leadership teams are continuing to have conversations with their team members to address any concerns.

YES

Mark Twain quoted Benjamin Disraeli saying that there are three kinds of lies "Lies - damn lies - and statistics."
Spots statement used all of those and a fourth that I will call frelling lies.
The frelling lie is one designed to circle back and eat anybody who might object to the others.

Last edited:
I made a second separate post....

Target:
Hi B******* - Target’s opening time was carefully evaluated with our guests and team members in mind. Our opening time this year reflects the feedback we have heard from our guests – many prefer to shop following their family gatherings rather than in the, rather than shopping in the very early hours of the morning.-Jami

the site only provides general answers. it's like a bot that's set up. a lot of answers also say: "We will look into it" or "we will direct this to xzy dept. for further investigation" or whatever.

YES

Given that silly statistic, then I shouldn't be pulling a damn double. And my preference was taken into account and they did the exact opposite. Now I'm not so annoyed about working Thursday night as I am about the absolute lies coming out of corporate.

Yeh, we can request BF off but it doesn't mean we'll GET it.
And we ALL know what would happen if someone tried to hand their shift off to another TM or if they called out.
Not all policies are in writing but they're understood as if they were engraved in stone.

We've had some swapping going on, but most of it has been denied for reasons I don't quite get. For instance, two experienced TMs. One a cashier was scheduled to open...didn't want to...a new GSA (with lots of years of experience with service desk and cashiering at our store) wanted to open for the money (was given the night off because she has a kid). Swap denied. No idea why, as she would have had plenty of time between that and her Friday shift.

Huddle last night: LOD asked us who would be calling out on Black Friday. Being the smart asses we are, we all raised our hands (ask a stupid question).... Of course she asked again, and only one (new...but not new enough for me to know if she's seasonal or permanent) TM raised her hand but claimed she really wasn't working Black Friday because she doesn't come in until Friday evening. The LOD told her that counted. I noticed later that TM has her Friday schedule up looking for a swap. She is setting herself up to be promoted to guest if she calls off....

Hopefully there's shopper push back and sales are down and they switch back to at least a midnight open

This is the only thing that will cause stores to stay closed on Thanksgiving in future years. The stores will push the limit until this happens.
The only reason I want Target to wait until Friday at about 4 a.m. to open is so I can get in on the deals after my shift at Wally ends at 3 a.m. I saw some good deals in Target's ad but I know I have no prayer at getting that merchandise because it'll be gone long before I can get to Target.

Interesting because I've been with Target for 3 years now and i've always had to work BF and we are required and I am pretty sure all Target TMs are required to work on BF yep calling spot out on that one. On requesting time off too sure you can put in but will you get it off? Pssh! I know a TM last year as a matter of fact was going to be out of town and she said she couldn't be in etc,etc guess what she had to come back into town. So yep nice try spot nice try!

Stores having to operate from 9pm Thursday to 11pm Friday. That is going to force TMs at lower volume stores to work double, if not more, shifts.

Last edited:

YES[/QUOTE
Last year they had a signup sheet by the timeclock where you could volunteer to come in at midnight, if you didnt sign up then they would schedule you later in the day on friday,
but this year they didnt ask us if we wanted to come in thursday night they just went ahead and scheduled it.

Stores having to operate from 9pm Thursday to 11pm Friday. That is going to force TMs at lower volume stores to work double, if not more, shifts.

Most of the TM's at my store, including my AP partner, are working double or split shifts. I'm not surprised, considering how long we're open, and how little we're staffed.

Given that silly statistic, then I shouldn't be pulling a damn double. And my preference was taken into account and they did the exact opposite. Now I'm not so annoyed about working Thursday night as I am about the absolute lies coming out of corporate.

Agree. Opening Thursday night. I don't watch football, I have Wednesday off and so will get to spend a decent amount of time with my family. It is what it is. That lie up there, though? That jerks my chain. NO ONE asked me if I "wanted to," and these mythical signup sheets were not in my store.

Pretty much! They have to keep the image clean they do not want to say we make all employees work on BF and thanksgiving no that would make spot look bad:wacko:

It just ticks me off that people believe that crap and then go around parroting at me as if it is some sort of truth. I mean, seriously, I'm the one working there and talking with other TMs across the country (here). I think we know a bit more about the truth than some random ex-TM or guest who believes corporate's lines.

YES

I admire the skill it takes to craft corporate bull****.

It just ticks me off that people believe that crap and then go around parroting at me as if it is some sort of truth. I mean, seriously, I'm the one working there and talking with other TMs across the country (here). I think we know a bit more about the truth than some random ex-TM or guest who believes corporate's lines.

HA! Get this... today at huddle one of the TLs said: "Oh and we came up with this great idea at our Team Lead Meeting of EVERYONE wearing the nice red card shirts on Black Friday, so we can get the word out there to our guests...blaaaahblaaaahblaaaah". Seriously?! I want to puke every time I hear some crap that I read on here days or weeks prior and they want to make it sound "New and Exiting". YES i have been talked to about my attitude and absent participation at the huddles... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back