Archived Targets that are closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am concerned about my store. We are an ULV store in an economically downturning area. The Wal-mart closed and moved 5 miles away. The Best Buy closed. The K-mart is closing. Are we next?

My question is ... who knows of any Targets that have just closed and left the building standing?

The only two examples I know of are

1) the Target in Richmond, IN. But to be accurate, that Target was in a building they did not own. They took over a Hills. Even kept some of the staff. It is a Hobby Lobby now.

2) I asked my STL. She said she worked at a Target in Memphis that closed a few years after she left.

Any other examples?? Thanks.

Targets close. If they don't own the building (which many cases they don't) the building stays there.

These is a division of Facilities Management that handles Target owned property in the event it is no longer occupied. They will schedule maintenance visits periodically to make sure the structure, utility and perimeter concerns are being addressed. This will go on until they either decide to sell said property for a profit or have reached a point in the market area where they feel they can re-open the store and meet their sales goals.

Target is closing four stores in early 2013: one in Colorado Springs, one near Nsahville, one in Kissimmee, and one in Manassas, VA. Lots of news stories will tell you some of the whys and plans for buildings and employees.

As someone who works at a ULV with a Super Center very close, I totally get it.

There used to be a poster on the old board named DanaMarie who worked at a Target that was about to close. The thread had pictures of the last days and the Target looked like something out of 1985. They're somewhere on Flickr.

We had a store close (after a nearby Walmart also closed) but then opened a new store a few miles away on the other side of the freeway.

The Super Target store I work at now was originally just a Target store 5 years ago and they moved the store, literally across the freeway into a developing shopping center. Those who wanted to stay and help with the fixtures inside the building were allowed to keep their jobs and I know of about 10-15 people who still work there to this day. The stores productivity has more than tripled from what the STL tells me.

I know the Nashville-Antioch store is closing sometime in January. The whole shopping area around it went into a downward spiral. Gangs, violence, muggings, murders...I can't believe I lived within a couple miles of this place for a while.

There was a low performing store about a 20 minute drive from my store. It closed about 2 yrs ago. Our store still has a few TMs that came from the closed store.

If a store closes though, Target seems to be pretty good at trying to get a TM another job w/ another Target.

I am wondering about mine also !
We have a lot of new tl etc ,the good ones are gone! It seems that whoever decided to transfer or fire etls ,wants our store to fail !
We are not making sale at all!
There were talks about Target buying land nearby,our store is about 25 years old ....no remodel plan !

Store closing seem to announced in Nov to give 90 day notice and satisfy any local laws that must be followed as regards closings and the the store closes at the end of jan/beginning of feb.There is a store closing in Kissimmee,Fla on feb 2nd,this follows a Super Target closing in Orlando earlier this year and one on the Gulf coast closed last year as far as I know.Store closings are announced to the media in a very smart way,this year they were announced as the election votes were being counted and therefore the news was burried underneath the election results.I believe four stores are closing on feb 2nd.You probably will not have to worry about your store closing until next november at least,but you can watch how the tms,especially the long term ones are treated,but then again that probably will not be much of a clue,as they are probably treated the same in every store.Have a great Christmas.

If a store closes though, Target seems to be pretty good at trying to get a TM another job w/ another Target.

When the store in our area closed & the new site was announced, ALL TMs had to reapply. TLs & above were guaranteed a location within the company but all others had to start from scratch. It allowed the company to deny the poor performers or anyone considered trouble.
Shame they didn't do that with some of the TLs.

When the store in our area closed & the new site was announced, ALL TMs had to reapply. TLs & above were guaranteed a location within the company but all others had to start from scratch. It allowed the company to deny the poor performers or anyone considered trouble.
Shame they didn't do that with some of the TLs.

That was how they got rid of the union organizers at the store in New York.

And all the TMs that were rehired started at the bottom of payscale. Very few were accepted for transfer before closing unless they were corp favorites.
It was a poor-performing store but it was also in a very bad part of town so those tough enough to work there were penalized even more.

And all the TMs that were rehired started at the bottom of payscale. Very few were accepted for transfer before closing unless they were corp favorites.
It was a poor-performing store but it was also in a very bad part of town so those tough enough to work there were penalized even more.

I can't wait till we get a business college-freshie in here to try and spin this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back