Service & Engagement Tax Exemption

I have a friend who is a teacher and needs new school supplies. Are we allowed to use tax exemption with our discount?

If you are planning to buy supplies for your friend and get tax exempt, that would be a big NO!! If your friend works at Target and also teaches then it would be ok to do tax exempt and discount as long as she is paying, if school is paying her back that would be a no! Too many gray areas I wouldn’t do it.

I thought it was you can buy things for your friends but you cannot be reimbursed.

Okay considering the overwhelming amount of no's I probably won't do it. Thanks!
Good choice. You can read the entire TM discount policy on the intranet HR site, I think it's also on the Target Pay & Benefits site under the TM discount information. You can buy gifts -- actual things you are giving away for free -- but don't try combining this with a discount (or tax exemption) belonging to someone else.

Depending on your state's laws, there are some not-for-profit and non-profit organizations which can register for tax-exempt status.

Another tax-exempt category which I've run across on a handful of occasions are foreign diplomats; the US State Department allows foreign consular personnel bearing State Department diplomatic ID to make tax-exempt purchases. As Seattle is a major US city with a pretty high number of foreign consulates, we used to see these diplomatic purchasers occasionally, but not as frequently nowadays.

Good choice. You can read the entire TM discount policy on the intranet HR site, I think it's also on the Target Pay & Benefits site under the TM discount information. You can buy gifts -- actual things you are giving away for free -- but don't try combining this with a discount (or tax exemption) belonging to someone else.

Depending on your state's laws, there are some not-for-profit and non-profit organizations which can register for tax-exempt status.

Another tax-exempt category which I've run across on a handful of occasions are foreign diplomats; the US State Department allows foreign consular personnel bearing State Department diplomatic ID to make tax-exempt purchases. As Seattle is a major US city with a pretty high number of foreign consulates, we used to see these diplomatic purchasers occasionally, but not as frequently nowadays.
Becuase it would be going under a nonprofit organization that they already have. I think I might even be under it I forget. Thank you !

Back