Archived Team lead day-to-day tasks - best practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyzoningtoys

Finally almost getting paid enough.
Dealing with an STL under pressure to adhere to best practices. It’s starting to undo the progress my team has been making with the whole sales floor taking over from flow team modernization etc. My question is what is best practice regarding team leads and their core roles? These days I’m just pushing truck in an area same as my TMs; 4 days a week with the 5th being me zoning half the store. I thought there was direction that TLs were not supposed to be filling the gaps in task coverage all the time? The way I see it, best practice is a guideline that, within reason, you start with and adapt to make work for your store. If I’m going to have best practice shoved down my throat, I’m hoping to find a way to make it work for me and use best practice to push back. Sticking to best practice is going to slow down my team, and I can’t help to get them where they need to be the harder way if I’m next door in E block fighting the same battle when I could be helping sort or breakout their freight. Even some minor changes to the custom blocks would make this easier for them, and I’ve done that before but now I don’t have the time when I have u boats to push and autos to pull and backstock to do and salesplanners to set every single day.

So, what’s the official word on what team leads are and aren’t supposed to be doing daily?

You aren't supposed to be pushing if you are a team lead. The whole point of modernization is for team members to own their own departments. You should look and see how they are scheduling your department. Weather is over or under.

I view GSTL as one of the least “task-oriented” TL positions so I can’t really relate. (SR-HRTL being the one one who is the least task-oriented).

You aren't supposed to be pushing if you are a team lead. The whole point of modernization is for team members to own their own departments. You should look and see how they are scheduling your department. Weather is over or under.
They’re scheduling the bare minimum and that’s with me as 25% of the task workload. It’s a fight to not have more payroll taken as it is

ULV store here, and our SFTL and LOGTL are not scheduled to task. Only if working alongside a team member to teach or assess. I imagine we will get new core roles with the OP model rollout.

All the TLs in my store basically take on all the work that the rest of the team doesn't get done. So, busting ass to finish the freight, set all the POGs, finish Price Change... down to working the Outs pulls and reshop and backstocking.
Our Market TL looks like he's on the verge of dying from exhaustion.
I don't know when the last time was anyone got around to auditing; our Market area looks like the town is preparing for an incoming hurricane.

Yeah , weather has been all over the place lately. How are you, cutie?

All the TLs in my store basically take on all the work that the rest of the team doesn't get done. So, busting ass to finish the freight, set all the POGs, finish Price Change... down to working the Outs pulls and reshop and backstocking.
Our Market TL looks like he's on the verge of dying from exhaustion.
I don't know when the last time was anyone got around to auditing; our Market area looks like the town is preparing for an incoming hurricane.
Finishing up and picking up the pieces when my team can’t come clean is fine with me. I’m scheduled daily with them to do the same workload as they are.

What’s real fun is I was just fucking coached for my performance the other day. Sorry I was made to run the store while the STL did flexes and had to bail my team out due him deciding unload isn’t going to sort anything for them anymore and expecting them to push it in the same amount of time. Sorry I didn’t complete the 18 hour workload of revisions you left me to do in 7 and a half. Pretty much bullshit when your bosses boss is pulling you in 7 directions and the log ETL decides to coach you for not completing it all.

Finishing up and picking up the pieces when my team can’t come clean is fine with me. I’m scheduled daily with them to do the same workload as they are.

What’s real fun is I was just fucking coached for my performance the other day. Sorry I was made to run the store while the STL did flexes and had to bail my team out due him deciding unload isn’t going to sort anything for them anymore and expecting them to push it in the same amount of time. Sorry I didn’t complete the 18 hour workload of revisions you left me to do in 7 and a half. Pretty much bullshit when your bosses boss is pulling you in 7 directions and the log ETL decides to coach you for not completing it all.
Sounds like my old store...🙄

Do I feel that dude. What started out as what I thought my STL agreeing with me that the day was rough (when you pull a cashier from me at 12pm during lunch rush to do pricing after 2 call outs up front on top of a February skeleton schedule, it's not going to end well), quickly turned into a coaching about how I still had 1-spot push leftover and that I needed to prioritize time better.

There was some consolation though, I defended myself during the coaching, and while I didn't get any feedback then, my STL pulled me aside towards the end of my shift and apologized for not recognizing my reluctance to give up a cashier as sticking up for my team.

I'm scheduled 4 days a week with a shift label and one shift as TL (I'm part of the modernization pilot) in grocery. I don't feel like I am leading. I feel like I am scrambling to get everything done as a TM as well as all the TL stuff I need to do.

I'm scheduled 4 days a week with a shift label and one shift as TL (I'm part of the modernization pilot) in grocery. I don't feel like I am leading. I feel like I am scrambling to get everything done as a TM as well as all the TL stuff I need to do.
This is exactly how I feel. But I’m shift labeled 5 days a week

Humble TL said:
Great attitude leaders.
Is this in reference to us venting about our situation? Because when I’m working alongside my team I do it with a smile and without complaint, and use it as an opportunity to show my team I wouldn’t ask anything of them I wouldn’t be able to do myself.

Is this in reference to us venting about our situation? Because when I’m working alongside my team I do it with a smile and without complaint, and use it as an opportunity to show my team I wouldn’t ask anything of them I wouldn’t be able to do myself.
Ignore him, all he does is make drinks all day

HL TL and I’ve been scheduled an area everyday for the last 3 weeks and it’s the same for the 2 week out schedule. Haven’t had to push much though since they’ve been coming clean without me. I look at it like i’m the “oh shit” guy. Like oh shit I forgot about the flat of plastics. I got it 👍🏻

Yeah, we're at the "can't win" point ourselves. If I help too much with the task work, I get called out for not doing the higher level tasks, and if I do those tasks I eventually get called out because freight and price changes aren't 100% done.
This week, we've got 2 people working in the morning, and 3 people working in the evening. 57 hours of work that doesn't include freight, backstock or price changes.
I can't push that one person working with me that hard without having them just give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back