Team Lead Promotion

How do you get promoted to a TL position I really want the SETL position I’ve already been scheduled multiple times in this position. We only have one SETL, but we are hiring technically one more! I really want it I’m not getting the pay when I’m doing twice the work either so I don’t know if I want to continue being scheduled in it if I don’t get the pay and the responsibilities of it

How do you get promoted to a TL position I really want the SETL position I’ve already been scheduled multiple times in this position. We only have one SETL, but we are hiring technically one more! I really want it I’m not getting the pay when I’m doing twice the work either so I don’t know if I want to continue being scheduled in it if I don’t get the pay and the responsibilities of it

Talk interest to your TL so they can prepare you for the interview. What do you contribute to in the front?

Beware. My store refuses to promote internally. I literally do the job right now, but we have tried to replace this open SETL position with 3 externals... all of which did not work at all. I know it’s ASANTS, but they passed up the other two GSAs and my ETL-HR straight up told me “not to bother because they like where I am right now.” which is literally doing the job for $13 an hour and prefer to go externally. I’m sure if I try to put my two weeks in... something would change, but we don’t go internally for anything.

Last edited:
Beware. My store refuses to promote internally. I literally do the job right now, but we have tried to replace this open SETL position with 3 externals... all of which did not work at all. I know it’s ASANTS, but they passed up the other two GSAs and my ETL-HR straight up told me “not to bother because they like where I am right now.” which is literally doing the job for $13 an hour and prefer to go externally. I’m sure if I try to put my two weeks in... something would change, but we don’t go internally for anything.

That’s weird because in my 2 years we’ve never hired externally. Every TL at my store was once a TM at my store.

To the OP: You sound like an entitled whiner. I wouldn’t even interview you with that attitude.

That’s weird because in my 2 years we’ve never hired externally. Every TL at my store was once a TM at my store.

To the OP: You sound like an entitled whiner. I wouldn’t even interview you with that attitude.
I don’t want it to be honest (I don’t have the availability or the will to do Target much longer), but the other internals we interviewed and then passed up (GSAs for SETL and a GMTM that was on the bench forever for TL position) were 1000000% the right choice. It’s just understood in my store at this point, they prefer external. ASANTS, but want to make sure OP doesn’t get their hopes up if it comes down to that.

Edit: Just want to add almost all of our externals (Minus 1) haven’t lasted and I’m extremely jealous of your stores for promoting internally. My store has lost some serious talent over the years :(

Last edited:
OP I don't see any whining in your post, just straightforward thoughts. This forum is a place where we can be blunt and say things we wouldn't say in our store. Not sure where the entitlement accusation comes in. I've certainly heard a lot more boasting and whining in other posts, some probably from me, lol.

I have no interest in being a leader, but I would think discussing it with HR would be a good start.

OP, we all have different roles in life. Currently you are NOT a TL so you shouldn’t get TL pay. You are NOT basically doing a TLs job or twice the work, because you don’t know what a TLs job is, you have never been a TL . If you don’t like what you are scheduled in now, imagine being scheduled IN it all the time.
you’ve got some sole searching to do.
Yes, I said sole , as in shoe soles , a good pair, cause you’re going to need them looking for a different job , with your attitude.

OP, we all have different roles in life. Currently you are NOT a TL so you shouldn’t get TL pay. You are NOT basically doing a TLs job or twice the work, because you don’t know what a TLs job is, you have never been a TL . If you don’t like what you are scheduled in now, imagine being scheduled IN it all the time.
you’ve got some sole searching to do.
Yes, I said sole , as in shoe soles , a good pair, cause you’re going to need them looking for a different job , with your attitude.
I’ve been there three years not going anywhere no need to be a dick, sounds like you are with all the other post you’ve responded in

Back