Archived Team Member Discount, ID Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
I first want to apologize if this is in the wrong forum and I did search for this to see if it had been posted already, mods do your thing if you need to.

My wife went to buy something yesterday at our neighborhood store (not the one I work at) -- her discount card doesn't say her name just that she's a dependent of mine. While we were in line a cashier said, "oh what Target." I told her my location. She suddenly sternly goes "I need to see your ID"

I thought she was joking... She wasn't and held us in line for a few minutes until I asked to see her GSTL. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it but I had left my wallet at home knowing my wife had her TM card. I know that some people don't require a card for people who work in their store but when someone has a card do any cashiers/GSA's ask for more? I feel like that is enough, considering HROC disables cards immediately that are lost/stolen or belong to terminated TM's.

My thought is if my wife had gone without me (assuming she kept her maiden last name) would the lady have said I need ID even if her name isn't on it?

I realize ASANTS but seriously?

It's been policy forever. You're supposed to always show ID in any store outside your own. It's rarely enforced but it should be.

I have the handbook and it doesn't say that, the reason it doesn't make sense is if you're a dependent your name isn't on the card anyways.

Doesn't the discount card say something about needing ID? We always asked at my old store if it was someone from a different store.

Yep, policy is, if it ain't your store, you need ID. I don't ask though, specifically for those reasons, like what if it's a dependant and so on. I figure if there's any misuse, AP is already on it. I rarely get asked when I'm in other Targets, but it happens, so I'm prepared.

I have the handbook and it doesn't say that, the reason it doesn't make sense is if you're a dependent your name isn't on the card anyways.

From what I've seen, I think team members can ask for a seperate card for their dependents. I've seen quite a few discount cards with the name of the person on it and it says "Dependent" under it. I may be wrong though.

Last edited:
I have a discount card for a dependent but it has my name on it and just says "Dependent" and nothing else.

Says right on the discount card.
"Also, please be prepared to show acceptable I.D."

Weird, well now
I have a discount card for a dependent but it has my name on it and just says "Dependent" and nothing else.

Same, and that's why the ID doesn't make much sense to me. If you're a dependent it has the team members name on it not yours but oh well. Lesson learned.

Weird, well now

Same, and that's why the ID doesn't make much sense to me. If you're a dependent it has the team members name on it not yours but oh well. Lesson learned.
I understand your point because you're not always going to be around the person who is allowed to use your discount. It should have your name plus theirs to avoid those type of situations.

Hmm, now how about Target with self checkout? My store is currently the only one with SCO in my area. My barcode is taped behind my red card (I have a spare one to use when I'm shopping at another Target).

I first want to apologize if this is in the wrong forum and I did search for this to see if it had been posted already, mods do your thing if you need to.

My wife went to buy something yesterday at our neighborhood store (not the one I work at) -- her discount card doesn't say her name just that she's a dependent of mine. While we were in line a cashier said, "oh what Target." I told her my location. She suddenly sternly goes "I need to see your ID"

I thought she was joking... She wasn't and held us in line for a few minutes until I asked to see her GSTL. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it but I had left my wallet at home knowing my wife had her TM card. I know that some people don't require a card for people who work in their store but when someone has a card do any cashiers/GSA's ask for more? I feel like that is enough, considering HROC disables cards immediately that are lost/stolen or belong to terminated TM's.

My thought is if my wife had gone without me (assuming she kept her maiden last name) would the lady have said I need ID even if her name isn't on it?

I realize ASANTS but seriously?
On the back of your discount card, it saids you might have to show ID

Your supposed to ask for it, I personally never do. If the TM is sharing it eventually they will see a pattern. I also have never been asked to see an ID I just know it doesnt fly well when you just give them your numbers.

When we were visiting family in another town, they carded my husband even tho his name wasn't on the card so he had to call me over.

I have encounter a "lost" dependant card,. I took the card with my lod approval. Because it was not a my gstl dependant, it was a cleaning crew person who found the card on the floor.
You can take the discount card, if you have lod approval. I did take a discount card(another store)from a friend who was trying to buy a mature rated video game with his discount card. Then the tm walked away after I asked for id to verify age. His friend paid full price(over 18). I went to the lod who was my etl hr & made a phone call to that store about the card & misuse.

Why would you stop a friend of an employee from using the discount? It sounds like you go out of your way to be a hardass.

I'm always prepared to show ID when in another store. I don't believe I've ever needed to though. My dependent, with name printed on discount card, was asked to show ID in my store and he got all offended lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back