Archived Team member discount policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
10% off all purchases. You can only use it with a REDcard or cash. Direct family may use it as well.

Is it only family members like your children or spouse? Can your parents use it? What happens if you let someone use your card?

Not quite--only spouses and dependent children. So your parents, or your kids who are no longer your dependents, while still direct family, are not eligible.
While this is what I have heard, no one at our store follows that (i.e. they let their parents use the card). My STL once checked a TM's dad out in electronics for some reason, and he used his discount and my STL didn't say anything. Also our ETL-HR just the other day at huddle was reminding us about our discount policy, and said friends are a no-no but your whole family can use it. So yeah, our whole upper management team seems to be fine with it.

What if the child has the card but is my dependent and lives with me?

Do you mean a child you claim as a dependent, but you're not their legal guardian?

That's one you'd probably have to ask HR about.

Wait..your parents actually do their OWN shopping at Target instead of giving you a list or leaving voice messages on your phone of stuff they want? What a novel idea.

That's my mother-in-law.
I must have 30 texts concerning in-law gifts for Hanukkah.
"No, we don't have any of the gymnast Dora The Explorers. Now stop asking, mom."

I used to be the TL and quit, moved on to better things. Now my daughter has a job at Target but still lives under my roof. She is 18. When I had my discount my kids could use it. Can I use hers? I would rather buy the stuff because I have the credit card and will get an additional 5%. She doesn't have a card yet. Just trying to save all the money I can. Spot owes me big time anyway. I had one cashier say you aren't supposed to use her discount. I was using her 10, my 5% from pharmacy and my target visa card for an additional 5% off. If she was a child living elsewhere I could understand. But I feed and put a roof over her head and a lot of what we buy is for the household.

I used to be the TL and quit, moved on to better things. Now my daughter has a job at Target but still lives under my roof. She is 18. When I had my discount my kids could use it. Can I use hers? I would rather buy the stuff because I have the credit card and will get an additional 5%. She doesn't have a card yet. Just trying to save all the money I can. Spot owes me big time anyway. I had one cashier say you aren't supposed to use her discount. I was using her 10, my 5% from pharmacy and my target visa card for an additional 5% off. If she was a child living elsewhere I could understand. But I feed and put a roof over her head and a lot of what we buy is for the household.

Sadly, the cashier was right on the policy. Discounts are for TMs/spouses/dependents, but not for parents. Of course you can always just say that she's paying for half of it and you're putting it all on your RedCard for convenience--that IS an acceptable use of the discount (as long as the TM pays a share equal to what everyone else is paying, it's all good).

^This

My parents are always asking me to pick things up for them.
"Hey anon, grab bread, milk, and shampoo before you come home"
"Hey anon is [random item on sale]"
"Hey anon how much are your vaccuum belts?"
"Hey anon....."
I remind everyone that I am Cash Office, rarely work past 11am, and do not know what is on sale or how much X item is... but I guess according to my mom, I know every item in the store.. haha

10% off all purchases. You can only use it with a REDcard or cash. Direct family may use it as well.

You can also use it with a personal check or Target gift card. But don't buy a gift card for yourself just so you can use your discount, you can get in trouble for that.

"Hey anon, grab bread, milk, and shampoo before you come home"
"Hey anon is [random item on sale]"
"Hey anon how much are your vaccuum belts?"
"Hey anon....."
I remind everyone that I am Cash Office, rarely work past 11am, and do not know what is on sale or how much X item is... but I guess according to my mom, I know every item in the store.. haha

This is exactly likely mother, but she knows I do the ad set up as well so she CONTANTLY asks me what's on sale...

You can also use it with a personal check or Target gift card. But don't buy a gift card for yourself just so you can use your discount, you can get in trouble for that.

Why would that be a problem exactly? Not that I plan on doing that, because I have a REDcard anyway... But I can't figure out why you'd get in trouble for that!

Why would that be a problem exactly? Not that I plan on doing that, because I have a REDcard anyway... But I can't figure out why you'd get in trouble for that!

Well, it would only be a problem if you used a non-discount-eligible method of payment to buy the giftcard. The whole reason they don't allow the discount on purchases that would have a transaction fee in the first place is in order to try to discourage you from using those methods of payment (transaction fees are a huge annual cost for the company). If you buy a giftcard with a non-Red debit/credit, then Target will have paid the transaction fee (on the initial purchase), but you'll still be getting your discount on the later purchases, which is exactly what they want to avoid.

It is perfecty acceptable, however, to buy a giftcard with cash, or your RedCard, etc. You might do this because you want to have a convenient way to keep track of all your purchases, or you don't want to carry cash to work, or you want to keep a giftcard with some money on it in your filing cabinet (for TLs) in case you forget your wallet, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back