Archived Team Member Talent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a couple of days ago I was pulled into the office of my HR:ETL and told I was invited to attend a Team Member Talent Day. I'm wondering if any one has heard of this. They way I understood it was that a couple of other team members and myself were selected because our leadership sees promise in us. I've heard of no new positions opening, but they told us it was to develop for our next position. Of the five of us, myself and another team member are from one department, two other people for a different department, and one person from the front lines. I'm trying to figure out if its a competition type thing or what. They gave us questions, and I plan on developing thought out answers, but I not sure how seriously I should take this. So, is this a common thing through out the company?

have not heard of this as yet,but we do tend to hear things in the Breakroom first anyway,what position are you in now.At my store the entire exec staff are new and almost all tls are on finals so the talent has to come from somewhere.We do have one tl who is not on a final but has only been with us for a few months and is totally out of their depth.

I'm a backroom team member at the moment, but I'm the main one on Instocks usually. The way my HR:ETL was talking, it sounded like this is something they do from an ETL position on up. She said she would get invited to do one at another store and basically sit in and answer a few questions in front of two other people. The note says that I was chosen because of my performance and my leaders belief in my ability to do more for the company. I've been told several times that they are looking to move me up through my store. Not sure if its just lip service (not the good kind) or what.

This was a common thing in my area for TLs who were interested in moving up. There was a monthly (sometimes only quarterly) meeting where TLs/Sr.TLs and ETLs/STLs from around the district would get together and do sort of mini-mock interviews, discuss leadership strategies, etc., all aimed at helping people get ready for the next step in their Target careers, just as you've described. They would also use the Talent Days to establish mentor/mentee relationships between TLs/Sr.s and ETLs/STLs from other stores, and then have followup emails/meetings, blah blah etc.

I don't recall ever seeing one for TMs, but it makes sense. I'm sure the specific content won't be quite the same (since your current role is much different from a TL/Sr.TL's), but the basic idea will be: discussing how to make yourselves better at what you do, how to find and take on extra responsibilities, how to prepare for the responsibilities of your desired next step (and the interview for it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they even do the mentorship thing. I'd imagine your Day will be TMs meeting primarily with TLs though, as opposed to primarily execs. It just makes more sense.

(Disclaimer: I never actually attended one of these meetings, as I never had a desire to become an exec. But plenty of my peers went to (and subsequently complained about) them through the years.)

Last edited:
This was a common thing in my area for TLs who were interested in moving up. There was a monthly (sometimes only quarterly) meeting where TLs/Sr.TLs and ETLs/STLs from around the district would get together and do sort of mini-mock interviews, discuss leadership strategies, etc., all aimed at helping people get ready for the next step in their Target careers, just as you've described. They would also use the Talent Days to establish mentor/mentee relationships between TLs/Sr.s and ETLs/STLs from other stores, and then have followup emails/meetings, blah blah etc.

I don't recall ever seeing one for TMs, but it makes sense. I'm sure the specific content won't be quite the same (since your current role is much different from a TL/Sr.TL's), but the basic idea will be: discussing how to make yourselves better at what you do, how to find and take on extra responsibilities, how to prepare for the responsibilities of your desired next step (and the interview for it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they even do the mentorship thing. I'd imagine your Day will be TMs meeting primarily with TLs though, as opposed to primarily execs. It just makes more sense.

(Disclaimer: I knew actually attended one of these meetings, as I never had a desire to become an exec. But plenty of my peers went to (and subsequently complained about) them through the years.)

This sounds exciting /scarcasm. All the while I've been complaining to my TL that they are hiring in seasonal workers at a higher pay rate than what I am. The mere thought of extra responsibilities is pretty much against my beliefs right now. Not that I don't mind doing them, and I have "stepped up" through out the year. I just gets aggravating when I'm covering a TLs duties while she pushes a car of re-shop for an hour and a half.

As far as I know it is to look for new candidates to promote up, especially for those stores that are way out in the boonies and have a hard time getting and staying staffed for leadership. We actually have one TM who went to talent day, and was sent through for interviews to build our bench, and is stepping into her role on Sunday.

Could just be recognition from contribution meetings. I know stores in the past have done that for top performers over a few months.

Ok I know this is a very old thread but in lieu of starting a new one..,

My store is having some kind of talent day contest all TLs ETLs dtls in my district will be in my store on Tuesday April 4th. I overheard that they will have something going on throughout the store in aisles Must be something big I guess they all get paid mileage too

Their talent should be to see who can hire the most or get the most red cards.

I'm off yeAh.

I just recently attended Talent Day last Friday. It was really neat because they are starting to do it for all team members and not just TLs and ETLs. They are no longer just doing interviews. It was amazing and spent a lot of time reflecting yourself and helping identify your leadership style, your strengths as a leader, and your opportunities to work on. You are with a group of several other team members, and they are now doing fun activities to help you realize where you are as far as leadership goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back