Archived Team members calling for their schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's during the day (rare) I could patch it over to our HRTM. But during the nights and weekends, there isn't exactly anyone hanging out in the TSC who could easily do it. The person who could probably most easily do it is the GSTL/GSA if they aren't on back up or assisting guests (or getting carts in another week or two)....but we don't have a good (or any) view of the lanes from guest services...so it would be a crap shoot as to whether or not they are free to go look.

GOD FORBID TARGET actually updated their POS ancient OUT OF DATE scheduling system and started using a modern program that allows TM's to check their schedules FROM HOME!! I know.. it sounds SO CRAZY! BUT THERE ARE MANY SYSTEMS OUT THERE that allow this.. Even my old job from SEVEN YEARS AGO used a program called WorkBrain that allowed you to see your shifts online... but lets not overwhelm target by suggesting a scheduling system from this decade.. lawls

but we don't have a good (or any) view of the lanes from guest services...so it would be a crap shoot as to whether or not they are free to go look.

Guessing not a P Fresh or super target?

I wonder if this is related to why our store doesn't specifically schedule cashiers as "service desk", but in our store the service desk is only 10-20 feet from checklanes 4 and 5.

but we don't have a good (or any) view of the lanes from guest services...so it would be a crap shoot as to whether or not they are free to go look.

I wonder if this is related to why our store doesn't specifically schedule cashiers as "service desk", but in our store the service desk is only 10-20 feet from checklanes 4 and 5.

I've been in Super Targets where you can't see the lanes from guest services.

I've been in Super Targets where you can't see the lanes from guest services.

Never actually seen a super target, they don't exist in michigan, but mine is p-fresh and starbucks is where the service desk used to be, so the service desk is right next to the checklaness which is why when working at I do my best to attend to cashiers with their lights on to ease the workload of the GSA/GSTL in charge.

GOD FORBID TARGET actually updated their POS ancient OUT OF DATE scheduling system and started using a modern program that allows TM's to check their schedules FROM HOME!! I know.. it sounds SO CRAZY! BUT THERE ARE MANY SYSTEMS OUT THERE that allow this.. Even my old job from SEVEN YEARS AGO used a program called WorkBrain that allowed you to see your shifts online... but lets not overwhelm target by suggesting a scheduling system from this decade.. lawls

MyTime?

Never actually seen a super target, they don't exist in michigan, but mine is p-fresh and starbucks is where the service desk used to be, so the service desk is right next to the checklaness which is why when working at I do my best to attend to cashiers with their lights on to ease the workload of the GSA/GSTL in charge.

Does your store have iGS (express lanes double as service desk) or a traditional service desk?

Does your store have iGS (express lanes double as service desk) or a traditional service desk?

Umm, we don't have express lanes perse, but our service desk does do checkouts - there's just no limit to how many items those checkouts are supposed to be, but the service desk is register 1, 2, and 3. There's just one big line for all three registers instead of a line for each one.

We haven't had what I assume you'd call a "traditional service desk" since the p-fresh remodel.

You walk in the store, to your left is food ave, right is starbucks (this is where the service desk was prior to the remodel), ahead and to the left is the service desk, slightly farther to the left are the checklanes.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the operator at GS. The differences between high volume and ULV sometimes shock me.

They were supposed to temporarily move it to the fitting room for the busiest part of the day for fourth quarter. But they never got the equipment in to do so, so it didn't happen. It was less than ideal, but I was used to it. We have another ULV in the area that has it at the fitting room, so I cannot figure out the rhyme or reason for where it is.

I can't imagine the operator at GS. The differences between high volume and ULV sometimes shock me.

not sure what ULV is like, don't think we're clasified as ULV, never heard what we do in a year, but an average day for us is like $8,000 an hour after returns/gift cards/discounts and on weekends 12-14k a hour.

I know thanksgiving day we did 300-350 between 8 pm and 12 am, and another 350-400k during black friday itself. I regularly check store totals during the day, doubt any of the other cashiers do, or would give a shit if told the totals, but #'s interest me, so I usually hit K5->K8->K1 a few times a day at elast to see how we're faring.

Quick guesstimation would tell me our store does 40-50 million in sales per year.

Fourth quarter is the only time of year our (one) HRTM gets 40 hours a week straight from HR. The rest of the year she does truck one third of the time and HR stuff the other two thirds of the time.

They're calling for their full schedules!?

The people who answer phones in my store aren't at guest services. They're at TSC... and on some occasions, we cover in the fitting room. If GS was answering the phones in my store, I'd just suck it up and call out just in case... then beg my mom to take me to target for "essentials" so I could check my schedule for the following days. I don't drive and I'm really really not gonna take that bus/walk to target to look at that sheet of paper. I tell people for that day and the next day (via the pda schedule) if they ask when I'm covering the phones. TSC's scheduled til 15-30 after close in my store, usually, because they check all the equipment back in and all that jazz. Now that hours are dropping, probably won't be the same, though and an ETL will do the equipment thing and we'll answer the phones in the fitting room. /tangent.

Even my old job from SEVEN YEARS AGO used a program called WorkBrain that allowed you to see your shifts online... but lets not overwhelm target by suggesting a scheduling system from this decade.. lawls

It's funny you say that... MAX is actually Workbrain modified to fit Target's need. If you ever get a time-off request denied by the system, it says Workbrain sent you the message! Target basically disabled being able to see the schedule from home.

Spot sent out communication in 1Qtr last year stating that it violated some privacy laws to give the schedule information over the phone. As a result at the time my store cracked down and for 7-8 months no one was to give schedules over the phone. That was until we had our GSTL's change and then the new to the company GSTL started taking these calls during their shift and giving them out to people on the phone.

There is a problem with doing this:

1) Calling in clogs up the phones for guests (especially during the 4th qtr).
2) If your Operator is anywhere other than TSC it is a violation of right to privacy for a schedule to be posted anywhere a guest can get a hold of it per OSHA.
3) While I do agree TMs/TLs coming off vacation or LOA should be allowed to call its a hard line.
4) Technically, you have no proof that the person you are speaking to on the phone is who they say they are. This can cause issues for some of us who have restraining orders against certain individuals.
5) We are all responsible people (or at least we are supposed to be) its not the responsibility of anyone who answers the store phone to get your schedule that you lost, washed, didn't write down, etc.
6) Most of us have smart phones these days and can easily put our schedule on our phone.
7) Albeit rare for most stores, AP can coach you for copying the schedule either by phone (picture) or copy machine. As they have no proof of what your intent is with the other TM schedules you take with you (came from my ETL-AP). So, remember that if you do either of those.

I am not a hard line person. However, I have CYA'd myself many times by sticking to Best Practice no matter what because in the end I can't be coached for doing what Spot says I am supposed to do.

<sigh> Your entire premise is wrong. There is no law that prohibits an employer from giving an employee their schedule over the phone. I had to LOL and ROFL when you mentioned "OSHA".... I would suggest actually looking up what OSHA is before talking about it. (hint: It has nothing to do with privacy)

"7) Albeit rare for most stores, AP can coach you for copying the schedule either by phone (picture) or copy machine. As they have no proof of what your intent is with the other TM schedules you take with you (came from my ETL-AP). So, remember that if you do either of those."

Uhhhh ok....... because a TM who had evil plans couldn't look at the schedule and say "Ok, Tom is working wednesday at 5PM to 10PM.".... because something called human memory doesn't exist. The only way to record a persons schedule is to write it down or take a picture. You can't just commit it to memory, right? If this was a legit concern, your AP would have no choice but to pull the whole damn schedule off the wall and only let TMs see their own schedule.... Because I mean, you know.... it's not like someone could do something called "memorize" another persons schedule or anything.... no, taking a picture is the only way to remember someones schedule.

"6) Most of us have smart phones these days and can easily put our schedule on our phone."

Find it hilarious you say this, yet the next line you are fully in support of AP writing people up for using their phone for such a purpose. More of that Target "damned if you do, damned if you don't" stuff we all know and love.

"4) Technically, you have no proof that the person you are speaking to on the phone is who they say they are. This can cause issues for some of us who have restraining orders against certain individuals. "

The people who work operator at my store know damn near every TM in the store and can easily recognize their voice. In other words, the operator would have to be a complete moron if Bob (TM Sarah's evil boyfriend) calls the store and the operator somehow confuses Bob's voice for Sarah's. And just an FYI... Target is a public place. If someone means to do you harm, they don't need to know your schedule. They just need to walk the sales floor pretending to be shopping for a few days and eventually they will run in to you.

"2) If your Operator is anywhere other than TSC it is a violation of right to privacy for a schedule to be posted anywhere a guest can get a hold of it per OSHA."

<FACE PALM> Target is not the government!!! You have no "right to privacy" at Target! This is just like those idiots who try to sue Youtube for infringing on their "right to free speech". You only have these rights when dealing with government, not a private company! And again, OSHA has nothing to do with freaking privacy on employee schedules! Target is a private company. If they want to tell TMs their schedule on the wall, over the phone, via e-mail, via text message, or via a freaking giant bill board on the freeway, they have every right to do it. Again - because Target is not the government, you have no "right to privacy" just like you have no "free speech" rights at Target. (this is why Target can drug test your ass and record you all day with cameras) In fact, if the government actually tried to limit how Target provided a schedule, it would actually be unlawful because it would be the government infringing on Target's free speech rights.

Last edited:
I used to get calls for this sometimes. I'd usually try and check for them, but had no problem making them call back if I was busy.

I would suggest actually looking up what OSHA is before talking about it. (hint: It has nothing to do with privacy)

From Wikipedia:
OSHA's mission is to "assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance".

If an employer allows an employee's privacy to be invaded, it can result in working conditions that are not "safe and healthful" for that employee. Look at it this way: Would you want a complete stranger (or anyone who's out to get you) calling the store pretending to be you so they can find out when you're working? I wouldn't either.

I would suggest actually looking up what OSHA is before talking about it. (hint: It has nothing to do with privacy)

From Wikipedia:
OSHA's mission is to "assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance".

If an employer allows an employee's privacy to be invaded, it can result in working conditions that are not "safe and healthful" for that employee. Look at it this way: Would you want a complete stranger (or anyone who's out to get you) calling the store pretending to be you so they can find out when you're working? I wouldn't either.

I hate to tell you this, but no one cares when you are working. You. Are. Simply. Not. That. Important. Get over yourself.

And you know damn well what "safe and healthful working conditions" means. It has absolutely zero to do with how an employer give employee schedules. OSHA deals with physical safety conditions in the workplace - actual tangible *physical* ways you can get hurt *while doing your work*. OSHA regulates making sure ladders have safety grips, making sure you have protective gear when dealing with body fluid/chemicals/etc., making sure construction workers have hard hats. *That is all OSHA does*. OSHA has absolutely nothing to do with how an employer handles scheduling or "privacy".

I hate to tell you this, but no one cares when you are working. You. Are. Simply. Not. That. Important. Get over yourself.

I've been stalked at work before, and so have a few TMs at my store. It's not a fun situation to be in.

But the problem is, you work at Target, not a restricted corporate office. Anyone can walk in the store. If someone is hell bent on coming to Target to find you, they don't need your schedule. They simply have to walk in the store and walk around during morning and afternoon shifts for probably 1 to 3 days. They will see you eventually.

I hate to tell you this, but if you think someone needs your schedule to find you at work, you are living in a major false sense of security. All they have to do is walk in the freaking store and walk around.

The best thing you could do is put a sticky note at the operator desk to inform them and also let your AP team know to be on the lookout (if you are lucky enough to actually have AP coverage at your store).

And just an FYI - the odds of someone actually coming and messing with you at work, even if you have a stalker, are incredibly low. You need to remember that *most* people work 8AM to 5PM Monday-Friday jobs. In other words, they have a set schedule that anyone who knows them will know by default. Variable work schedules are actually the exception, not the norm. Yet, it is incredibly rare when you ever hear of someone coming and messing with someone at work. 99% of the time, they come to your house where you will be out of the public eye and thus more vulnerable.

Hate to say it, but you actually have someone hell bent on finding you, it would be to your benefit for them to do it at work. At least then, you would be in a highly public place with people around to deal with them. Otherwise, the only other option is to come to your house.... where you likely would be alone with no help.

Also, let's just say you have a lazy stalker who isn't willing to walk in the store and look for you for maybe 1 to 3 days. (In which case, that isn't much of a stalker... but let's just say) A clever stalker would call the store and say "Hi, can I talk to Sarah? This is her brother and we are having a major family emergency regarding her mom in the hospital". Then, if the operator gives you the call, the stalker knows you are there.

OR are you going to now make it a policy that TM's can't even get emergency phone calls from family now because there might be 1 TM who maybe could possibly have a stalker?

See what I am saying? Not knowing your schedule isn't going to protect you. It is incredibly easy for a determined person to find you. What you are doing is called putting yourself in a "false sense of security", which is actually pretty dangerous.... because schedule or not, you are simply incredibly easy to find at Target.

Last edited:
Its always been against Target policy to give out Any team member information over the phone. Always.

IMHO its lazy & rude to waste someone's time because I screwed up. If I forget to write down my schedule, I drive my butt down to the store.

Its always been against Target policy to give out Any team member information over the phone. Always.

IMHO its lazy & rude to waste someone's time because I screwed up. If I forget to write down my schedule, I drive my butt down to the store.

A schedule is not a TMs information. It is against policy to give out actual TM details - like their date of birth, etc.

Check your employee handbook. There is no rule against a store giving a TM schedule via phone. It is a store by store management decision.

My store allows the operator to give a TM their schedule over the phone as long as the operator recognizes the TMs voice. Hell, the ETL-HR even has a separate schedule binder at the operator station that she updates weekly just for this purpose. I actually stopped by and asked one of our operators about this during my morning this shift today just because I was curious about this. Oh, and I also asked how often TMs call for their schedule. Her answer? Maybe once or twice a week a TM might call and ask. Yea, major inconvenience for the store. :huh:

Last edited:

A schedule is not a TMs information. It is against policy to give out actual TM details - like their date of birth, etc.

Check your employee handbook. There is no rule against a store giving a TM schedule via phone. It is a store by store management decision.

My store allows the operator to give a TM their schedule over the phone as long as the operator recognizes the TMs voice. Hell, the ETL-HR even has a separate schedule binder at the operator station that she updates weekly just for this purpose. I actually stopped by and asked one of our operators about this during my morning this shift today just because I was curious about this. Oh, and I also asked how often TMs call for their schedule. Her answer? Maybe once or twice a week a TM might call and ask. Yea, major inconvenience for the store. :huh:

If it was once or twice a week, I wouldn't have started this thread. Try more like once or twice a shift. Also, it might not be an inconvenience to the store, but it's an inconvenience to the person in guest services who is staring at a line of guests while trying to figure out how to get to the schedule without ticking off the guest in front of you. But I'm repeating myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back