Archived Telling people not to come in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love when the leadership at the store blows tons of payroll before a "big" visit. The visit goes great. The next day they cut hours off the schedule for the very next day.

Shows you who and what are really important at Target.

I'm obviously not happy about this turn of events.

The next day they cut hours off the schedule for the very next day.

If they have already posted the schedule, then they cannot cut any of your shifts without your consent. They can certainly ask but it is up to you to accept or decline this request. At least, this is how it is at my store. It may vary by location. Look up your state laws on how much time an employer has to give notice to you about not coming in. Also, look up your state laws about "reporting time" pay (for days that they send you home early). Not all states have reporting time pay (Target calls it minimum pay) but it doesn't hurt to check if you are in one of those states.

Edit: States such as California, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon (minors only), and Rhode Island have reporting pay requirements.

Last edited:
If they have already posted the schedule, then they cannot cut any of your shifts without your consent. They can certainly ask but it is up to you to accept or decline this request.

It became very clear about halfway through today that coming in was not an option. Of course I could have said no, but it wasn't even presented as a question.

Too much push back might get me retaliated against on future scheduled. So the course was to comply.

And it felt pretty shitty.

It became very clear about halfway through today that coming in was not an option. Of course I could have said no, but it wasn't even presented as a question.

Too much push back might get me retaliated against on future scheduled. So the course was to comply.

And it felt pretty shitty.

So you let your financial well being come into question because they didn't phrase it as a question? Uh, that's your fault. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!

So you let your financial well being come into question because they didn't phrase it as a question? Uh, that's your fault. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!

There's one day versus the future. I really wouldn't put it past them to cut my future hours for not complying with this request.

There's one day versus the future. I really wouldn't put it past them to cut my future hours for not complying with this request.

I seriously doubt you'd have any retaliation. It's an excuse. You wanted to avoid conflict. That's fine, but lets call it what it is.

I seriously doubt you'd have any retaliation.

Really? Unless all TMs went together to raise a stink, I could absolutely see 1 or 2 who protested seeing lower hours in the next few weeks. Maybe their store leadership is above that kind of thing, but I don't have a ton of confidence in leaders that can't manage their payroll appropriately in the first place and are trying to intimidate TMs into not coming in for their scheduled shifts.

I seriously doubt you'd have any retaliation. It's an excuse. You wanted to avoid conflict. That's fine, but lets call it what it is.

I appreciate your input. But when they tell 10 people not to come in, I'm not going to be the odd man out. No reason to put a target on my back.

I let my feelings about it be known. Neither my tl nor my ETL were there.

I'll be taking this to both of them and the hr ETL Monday.

Last edited:
Like he said, standing up for your rights is a good way to make enemies and see retaliation. Better to lose a few hours this week than for the next couple of months for "raising a stink".
It all depends how you approach the problem, management counts on the power imbalance to intimidate workers from being more vocal, all this results in is workers being punished through no fault of their own.

It all depends how you approach the problem, management counts on the power imbalance to intimidate workers from being more vocal, all this results in is workers being punished through no fault of their own.
So like we are all victims?

I don't see myself as a victim. But I do think you have to pick your battles wisely. Sometimes you roll with it, sometimes you walk against the flow.

In this case, I went with it because I had no one to support me in the store had I chosen to make it an issue.

A victim is someone that is powerless to stop what is happening. I could have stopped it, but at a cost, or a perceived cost.

The problem with them cutting your hours is the anti retaliation policy.

My store has had me ask people to not come in but I purposely let them know it's voluntary.

Your probably not the only person who decided go come in anyways

Closed months don't go fed as they say. Let them know you need the money

Last edited:
I do think that asking if there is other work you can do since this is going to be a major hit to your paycheck is in order.
If you make it clear that you are not refusing to leave but trying to find a compromise (work half a shift, work in a different department, etc.) then it is possible to stand up for your position and still not get blow back.

I do think that asking if there is other work you can do since this is going to be a major hit to your paycheck is in order.
If you make it clear that you are not refusing to to leave but trying to find a compromise (work half a shift, work in a different department, etc.) then it is possible to stand up for your position and still not get blow back.

And in this case possibly get bonus points for being flexible and hardworking

If you make it clear that you are not refusing to to leave but trying to find a compromise (work half a shift, work in a different department, etc.) then it is possible to stand up for your position and still not get blow back.

They were cutting hours because they overspent before a big visit. They cut the whole POG team. I can only assume because we were ahead. We were working on next week's work. One more reason to not work ahead. Lol

I'm not sure since I didn't ask, but I don't think working in another work center would have been an option.

In my past experience (in Tenn & Iowa), once the schedule is posted, Target has to honor it. They can ask people not to come in or to go home but they can't make you.

If they want to add shifts after its posted, you have to initial the schedule to accept it.

In my past experience (in Tenn & Iowa), once the schedule is posted, Target has to honor it. They can ask people not to come in or to go home but they can't make you.

If they want to add shifts after its posted, you have to initial the schedule to accept it.

If they want to cut shifts, they are supposed to ask. But that isn't what happened.

But like I stared earlier, if you don't comply or be seen as a team player, the idea if retaliation is not too far fetched .

Update. The cut to payroll came from the district tl.

When I asked what would have happened if I came in as scheduled, I was told that if I came in and there was no work, they would send me home after 3 hours.

The implication being .... they can't tell you not to come in, but they can still effect the majority of your shift (mine was 8 hiurs).

And by coming in, I would have just been pushing an already tense situation.

Opinions?

Update. The cut to payroll came from the district tl.

When I asked what would have happened if I came in as scheduled, I was told that if I came in and there was no work, they would send me home after 3 hours.

The implication being .... they can't tell you not to come in, but they can still effect the majority of your shift (mine was 8 hiurs).

And by coming in, I would have just been pushing an already tense situation.

Opinions?
And on the next schedule you will only get 4 hours. They will remember you were a rebel.

Screen your calls. If they leave you a message not to come in and the commute is short, just ignore it. Just go in and get the minimal hours if they are forcing you to leave.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me this week. I was scheduled on Friday for a five-hour shift, but the LOD asked me if I could take the day off during my shift on Monday because there were too many cashiers scheduled. I am not extremely familiar with my store and how schedules are made, but I wonder if in an odd way, employees with less availability are "prioritized" since they have more restrictions when they can work, and I have open availability so they schedule me to fill in the gaps. I have never been late, never called out, and come in or extended whenever I was asked to do so, but they want to cut my hours, and it's so frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back