Archived Terminated gstl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know where to share this but I’m so confused.
Last week I was terminated for repackaging 2 online items (something I’ve done the three years I’ve been there) and holding it to purchase for myself. I was told I stole potential money from the company, as in it could have sold at regular price.
Is this an odd reason to terminate a tl? I know there is a policy against holding clearance items but I can’t find anything about online items especially since we usually make the call to defect online items.
I have had zero conversations about anything negative in my entire time there, never called out, never been written up. I just think it’s so odd for it.
Our store is really high in retention right now and the only thing I can think of is our AP is trying to save his own butt? The total mark down was over 50 dollars and that’s why he said they were terminating me because it was such a large amount. It wasn’t done with Ill intentions at all and that’s what I told him. I was simply trying to get a better deal for just that I have given many guests to get rid of online items especially before inventory.
Again, I did what I did but I genuinely didn’t think I was stealing from the company.

I guess what I want to know, is there a best practice or a written policy when it comes to online items?

Thanks

This is against policy and is a termable offense in two ways (both of which are outlined in the handbook)

One- we cannot repackage or mark down items with the intent of purchasing them at a discount.

Two- we cannot hold any items that have not been out on the floor in their home location for at least 10 minutes.

“It wasn’t done with Ill intentions at all and that’s what I told him. I was simply trying to get a better deal for just that I have given many guests to get rid of online items especially before inventory.”

You just gave your reason for termination. You used your status as a Target employee to your own benefit. We as team members are never to have first dibs on items. It’s pretty much SOP in retail: guests first. Always give the guests the opportunity to get that sweet deal before the employees.

I guess I assumed online items were different than clearance or regular items we carry in store since there isn’t actually a spot or location for them. Does anyone know where in the handbook it is?
I’m not disagreeing at all, if I messed up I messed up. There isn’t anything I can do about it. I feel so stupid and embarrassed but it is what it is.

I guess I assumed online items were different than clearance or regular items we carry in store since there isn’t actually a spot or location for them. Does anyone know where in the handbook it is?
I’m not disagreeing at all, if I messed up I messed up. There isn’t anything I can do about it. I feel so stupid and embarrassed but it is what it is.
There is nothing that addresses online items specifically in the handbook. Assuming that you followed normal markdown practice, this is the only policy I could find where they got you: "Team members can only purchase merchandise that is stocked on the floor and available for sale to all guests. Team members cannot purchase merchandise from the backroom, the service desk or any guest-hold areas because it does not meet these requirements."

I am sorry you lost your job for this. It sucks, so take this as more of a philosophical debate than a commentary on your personal life. Why would you think Target would make an exception for an online item? It’s sold by Target, therefore wouldn’t it be a “regular” item or a clearance item since POS prints a yellow label for it? Basically, if you process a return, regardless of where it was originally purchased from, Target Rules apply. Always.

I'm pretty sure it is written somewhere that you cannot mark items down for you to buy later.. perhaps under team member purchasing guidelines???? I'm almost positive I have read it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure it is written somewhere that you cannot mark items down for you to buy later.. perhaps under team member purchasing guidelines???? I'm almost positive I have read it somewhere.
It says that you cannot mark down items outside of best practice for personal or someone else's gain. I'm thinking "best practice " is an ASANTS thing. We mark down online only items and put them in clearance. However, if I wanted to purchase something like that and it wasn't already marked, I would have someone else mark it and then put it on the sales floor at least until the end of shift.

It says that you cannot mark down items outside of best practice for personal or someone else's gain. I'm thinking "best practice " is an ASANTS thing. We mark down online only items and put them in clearance. However, if I wanted to purchase something like that and it wasn't already marked, I would have someone else mark it and then put it on the sales floor at least until the end of shift.
This is our store policy as well....

You marked down items for your own benefit. Big no no at any retail job.

You can do this. Just do an OPU. Any online guests had the same chance at the item.
I think this is almost more geared towards pricing and the extinct pricing team RIP. I’ve had a couple TMs that have been pulling price change batches and left the items outback instead of putting them on the sales floor and have a TM grab them after they punch out.

I think this is almost more geared towards pricing and the extinct pricing team RIP. I’ve had a couple TMs that have been pulling price change batches and left the items outback instead of putting them on the sales floor and have a TM grab them after they punch out.

Sounds likely. I use it if I know an item is located in the back and for whatever reason it isn't getting pulled out. I'll just do an OPU for it. Not trying to get a deal or anything like that. Just trying to get the stuff I want to buy at normal price.

Sounds likely. I use it if I know an item is located in the back and for whatever reason it isn't getting pulled out. I'll just do an OPU for it. Not trying to get a deal or anything like that. Just trying to get the stuff I want to buy at normal price.
This or if it’s cheaper online and I don’t feel like doing price match

Oh yeah I’m definitely guilty of this

Firstly, hope you’re not on the clock and if you are , it’s during a 15. An opu is one thing, but it’s completely another when it’s an ONLINE ONLY ITEM. That means not sold in stores. Or your store doesn’t sell it. So not sure how it would be located anywhere in store for you to do an opu. In addition to having a quantity that would allow an order. Getting my hands on any item that I actually DON’T need to survive ...definitely is not worth losing my job over.

I'm a little wonky about this because I did pull an item from the backroom during my shift and then purchase it full price after I got off work last holiday season. It was already fully stocked on the floor and I only took it from the back so I didn't have to remove any of the purchasable items already on the floor. How bad is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back