Terminated once I go into Labor!

I’ve been at target VERY briefly, I am aware of the probationary period and benefits. When I got hired at target I did not broadcast my pregnancy, I am very far along actually 7 months almost 8. I am due August. I went in for overnight stocker due to the set amount of hours, but then clearly didn’t think I was a good fit and put me in Fulfillment.

I am assuming they noticed J was pregnant my first day. I had a good day for my first day. I will admit I had struggles walking after a few hours, but i never complained and still kept up my pace. They switched my position AGAIN to Cashier because of my walking. (I’m glad they cared but I was ok where i was.)

I noticed my hours were below 30. I was hoping for at least 30-35 hours. I had to pick up an extra day for training up front and my shifts are only 7 hours not even a full 8. For the last three days my training has been the same stuff. I haven’t learned anything new in the fulfillment area besides ship from store and OPU.

Today I speak to HR about what happens when I’m due and they told me I get terminated because I don’t qualify for LOA. and that I would have to reapply again. I am distraught because I assumed I would just be out for 4 weeks with no leave, but turns out I get fired.

My husband and I don’t get paid leave and he’s been at target for 9 months now. He’s taking off two weeks just for the reason of us not being paid. I am working hard the way I am to save. I’ve been struggling to get a job due to my pregnancy and medical bed rest I was put on in the beginning which caused me to lose my other job…

I don’t know how to feel, but I am stressed and hopeless. No hours, no guaranteed job.

I’ve been at target VERY briefly, I am aware of the probationary period and benefits. When I got hired at target I did not broadcast my pregnancy, I am very far along actually 7 months almost 8. I am due August. I went in for overnight stocker due to the set amount of hours, but then clearly didn’t think I was a good fit and put me in Fulfillment.

I am assuming they noticed J was pregnant my first day. I had a good day for my first day. I will admit I had struggles walking after a few hours, but i never complained and still kept up my pace. They switched my position AGAIN to Cashier because of my walking. (I’m glad they cared but I was ok where i was.)

I noticed my hours were below 30. I was hoping for at least 30-35 hours. I had to pick up an extra day for training up front and my shifts are only 7 hours not even a full 8. For the last three days my training has been the same stuff. I haven’t learned anything new in the fulfillment area besides ship from store and OPU.

Today I speak to HR about what happens when I’m due and they told me I get terminated because I don’t qualify for LOA. and that I would have to reapply again. I am distraught because I assumed I would just be out for 4 weeks with no leave, but turns out I get fired.

My husband and I don’t get paid leave and he’s been at target for 9 months now. He’s taking off two weeks just for the reason of us not being paid. I am working hard the way I am to save. I’ve been struggling to get a job due to my pregnancy and medical bed rest I was put on in the beginning which caused me to lose my other job…

I don’t know how to feel, but I am stressed and hopeless. No hours, no guaranteed job.
Target usually doesn't hire full-time. That means your hours are not guaranteed. They can give you zero hours if there are none to give. Fulfillment is under a time crunch and can be physically taxing, which is likely why they switched you.

It would probably have been a good idea to disclose your pregnancy and ask about your options up front. Sorry this is happening to you, unfortunately many benefits have to be earned with time and aren't given immediately upon hiring.

Apply for unemployment as soon as you are eligible. Depending on your state you may be able to get retro benefits for the time you were unemployed before.

While you are still employed call the Target Helpline and see what they can offer. They may be able to help you in some way. Your husband can also apply.

Ask HR if you can go on demand instead of being terminated. That could give your family some flexibility.

You definitely don't want to be in fulfillment 8+ months pregnant, TBH Cashier is the safest for you and your baby - particularly since you said you were on medical best rest in the beginning. If they've moved you up to cashier you wouldn't get any more training SFS shifts unless they want you there now also.

For your hours if you put 30 on the form that is considered the maximum amount they have to schedule you. They strive to get you within a certain percentage of your desired hours for their metrics. So if it's 20% and you put 30 hours on your desired hours survey then they would have to schedule you around 24 hours a week to hit their metric.

Even if you're in an at-will state you can't officially be fired due to pregnancy. It's illegal. However if you are in an at-will state they can base your termination on anything they want and call it a day. I would speak to HR again about the reasons you're being let-go. It doesn't make sense to waste the training hours just to get rid of you. If you need the job, let them know you're happy to stay on as a cashier and ask to please be able to come back 4 weeks after the baby arrives. If you need the job that badly stay wherever they put you and work your way back into fulfillment if you liked it. Q4 is coming up and they'll need all hands on deck for fulfillment anyway. Speak to HR and the SD. If you don't like their answer escalate to HRBP.

Call out when you need to, like when you are in labor. Termination is an awful word, but if you do what your supposed to do, target will most likely rehire you.

If you’re giving birth before your initial 90 days, you don’t qualify for anything at this point. And they can let anyone go for any reason in the 90 days. But you can be rehired afterwards.

If you’re giving birth before your initial 90 days, you don’t qualify for anything at this point. And they can let anyone go for any reason in the 90 days. But you can be rehired afterwards.
Any reason except for discrimination of protected classes, which pregnancy is one. Since they said it was due to the pregnancy HR screwed the pooch and opened the door to legal ugliness.

OP, contact the EEOC and the state labor board.

I get you don't qualify for LOA, but I don't think your "fired" for giving birth. You obviously need time off and they can't keep you on the schedule. As for your husband, I think living on one pay check and taking 2 weeks off is too much time. I've had kids and their dad was back as work 3 days later because we needed the money. Plus when you have the baby what your plan for working and child care? I'm guessing working opposite schedules. Yikes...I think he should think about a job that pays more to support you both until you are able to work and it makes sense.

Any reason except for discrimination of protected classes, which pregnancy is one. Since they said it was due to the pregnancy HR screwed the pooch and opened the door to legal ugliness.

They can tell her since she’s so new she can only have a week or two off. Then when she’s on the schedule and starts calling in, they will let her go for attendance.

That would be considered retaliation. Normally hard to prove but since HR, without speaking to corporate lawyers, said it was due to pregnancy reaction like that would make the state labor bpard look at things less favorably.

Except they didnt say they were firing her for being pregnant, they would fire her if she tried to take off 4 weeks without qualifying for any benefits to do so.
Nothing illegal about that.

Pregnancy protection includes post pregnancy maternity leave. And not FMLA, ADA if an employer is willing to grant leave tp employees with temporary disabilities, they must give the same for pregnancy healing/recovery. So if Bob gets medical leave for smashing his hand even if not there long enough for FMLA protection, Sally can get leave too.

Protection is far more than FMLA. ADA has a lot of protection.

Lawyer up! You’re never going to have to work another day in your life! You need to act now and not procrastinate.

Not many managers are stupid enough to knowingly or unknowingly commit a crime like this. Maybe one day they’ll learn

Based only on my own and friends’ experiences in my area, any situation that has ever been brought to an SD, DSD, or HRBP has never worked out in a team member’s favor. If you really do think they might care about you go ahead. However, the very second that you confront them they will be on the phone with Target’s legal team and explore all options same day. Talk to an attorney first.

Back