Archived Thanksgiving Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year, I have been invited to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family in California. I live on the East Coast. I am booking flights this week to go. I won't be putting in my vacation request until after this whole MyTime 2.0 update is completed (I should have my flights and dates locked in by then). What should I expect. I'm assuming automatic denial. And if so, what course of action do I have to circumnavigate this issue?

Worse case is that they will mark you down for absences on your attendance record but won’t be considered NCNS. I was able to manage the week of Christmas off once and that’s what they did for me

Black Thanksgiving/Friday....pretty much all hands on deck. Don't expect to get any time off approved from November to January.

You can talk to your ETL to discuss the issue. But don't book anything until you do.

As much as I am happy for you that you got an invite, chances are probably slim to none. If they approve your time off, it won't be fair to every other TM who sacrifices their holiday time with their family. There will be people who get pissed off if they find out you got to have that entire weekend off and they didn't. Also, if you call off or ncns on Thanksgiving/Black Friday, it will likely be infamously remembered by the Leaders.

(FYI, I have actually witnessed what I wrote about.)

Last edited:
You are going to get denied for sure. Thanksgiving is a blackout at most stores. However being the signing tm you may get lucky. Depends on your leadership

I respect you want to be with family but this is retail and that is our busiest weekend of the year.

Believe it or not my store last year had 20 people who got thanksgiving and black Friday off by happenstance. As soon as the grid comes out see if you can pass off your shifts.

In the future you have 6 months to request time off you should have done it back in May.

Each Black Friday I work, I seem to end up standing around in the Backroom waiting for something to do. It's crazy, sure, but we're typically stacked with support. I won't feel bad about not being there (moreso for the extra pay). I might get to see my California family members once a year. So this is a special opportunity that I'm looking forward to.

So I'll roll with the fallout as it happens, I guess.

Been doing signing most of my 35 years.....Never allowed to go on vacation during Thanksgiving- New Years. All of my family is out of state, so I have never spent a holiday with them.

Sad.

I did know a long time employee who would call off every black friday. She was willing to take the coaching.

As long as it doesn't happen but once a year, it ain't shit.

If you're a vet, don't sweat. If you're a rookie, you're in the dookie!! That's what I say to that. :D:p Good luck!!

I got off for all of Thanksgiving weekend, so it's definitely possible. However, I talked to my ETL-HR over a month ago, and you need to talk to him/her ASAP. You do have a pretty good reason, so you might... just don't count in it.

I submitted time off for Thanksgiving/Christmas I think way back in July, declined obviously but my chances are way big. Last year I got it off as well. I think it's in the timing that you get time off. Seasonal workers are expected to work, and will probably be fired if they don't. But us veterans/regulars don't really need to sweat it if we need Holiday time off. It's been a tradition to get together almost every major holiday in the US so I'm usually off for every holiday.

BUT, if I had to work this year, I would probably be alright with it. I'm seeing my family next weekend for no particular reason other than to visit and got it off, so I'll be alright. It'll suck missing the holiday, but I got to see my family previously. Lets just say I won't mind, but I will mind haha.

Actually, I'm wondering what became of the request from pogdog and what's happened with the time off to go to California.

I was outright denied. As predicted. I talked with my family about coming out and they pushed that we do it another, less stressful time. I was bummed on both accounts, but appreciated my family's understanding. I definitely wish the scenerio were different, but I'll be able to apply to tickets to a future flight, so I'm not totally underwater on the deal.

thanks for the update!
Glad to hear that your family understands and will be happy to see you at a less stressful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back