Archived The 20%/$20 Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually something that I am afraid of. I would like to make my decisions on price challenges by myself, but I am worried about the GSTL and LOD knowing that I changed the price through the Guest Price Challenge. Wasn't there an option that allowed you to change the price without sending the alert to MyDevices? I will try to look for it on this forum, but if somebody could provide details about that, I would appreciate it.

Honestly its better if an alert gets sent out, this way they can check to see if an expired sign is up and take it down so there arent further issues. At the end of the day if something was on sale, it was for a reason. In the past I have even honored prior sales for guest to save the sale and keep them coming back. Is it really worth sending someone back for $3 to check on a sign when you could upset a guest or hold up your line? If its reasonable go with it!

Kind of related, but today I had an odd situation that started with a guest talking to the GSTL. Now, this GSTL is a really nice guy, but he pretty much always sides with the guest when it comes to price challenges.
Apparently, the guest convinced the GSTL that a bedding item he wantes to buy should be $28.99. The GSTL instructed me from afar to change the price of the item after he discussed the matter with the guest.
When I rang up the bedding item, the original price was $69.99. I changed it to $28.99 using guest price challenge, but without a supervisor override needed. I was really surprised since most price changes over $20 require a supervisor override.
After closing, I asked my GSTL why the price change went through without a supervisor code. He explained that sometimes, price changes over $20 are allowed without a supervisor override depending on the situation.
I know that the GSTL told me to change the price, so if AP asks about this, the GSTL will take responsibility for the price change, but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this. To be frank, I almost wish the supervisor override screen appeared so that it would be 100% clear that the GSTL approved the price change.

Some items are coded differently for the price changes. Generally high ticket items will prompt for a supervisor override. Domestics are usually fine unless you are making a drastic change. It all goes through the system and if corporate sees item “x” is being changed a lot they will place the override on it. During certain times they used to shut the overrides off completely!

At my store, we are typically allowed to change up to $5 without questioning anything, but use your better judgment. If it is a $20 difference, due to whatever reason (old sale sign, in the wrong spot, difference in price online or at another retailer), just make sure to double check that it’s correct. There are a lot of guests who will take advantage of you if they know about the $20 rule.

I'm pretty liberal about price changes in certain situations. My cashiers know to ask if they're unsure about things and I generally trust them. I took time and wrote some custom training material for my cashiers. There is a whole guide on using common sense for price changes. If they want guidance on if a price should be changed, my rule depends on what the item is and how much the guest is spending.

Guest is spending $300+ on many different items? Yeah, $20 is a drop in the bucket. That'd be a change without thinking twice, however, I would make sure it was a guest price challenge for PCV.

Guest is spending $20 on a single item and thinks it is $5? "Can I get a team member in [$PLACE]?"

I have one exception for one guest that tries the same thing every time they buy our shit. And it's always a pretty decent difference. I check everything for her because she tries to take advantage of the system. Drives me up the wall. She doesn't try it when she sees me though! :D

I had this situation the other day with a price match. I was unsure I should do the price match for a team member. I don’t think it was anything like shady, but it just felt off to me amd I don’t trust that the team member 100% knows the price match policy, so I called over my GSTL. She looks at it real quick and says it’s good to go. It was a $30 change, so I figured it would promp for a supervisor code, but nope! I obviously got approval from a supervisor, but I was kind of scared it would fall back on me in some way.

Did the Team Member ask you to do a price match or a price challenge? They are two different things. A Team Member can ask to price match Target.com or a competitor. A Team Member cannot ask you to change a price to match the sign/sticker in the store if an item rings up to be a different price when you scan it. Basically, price match is allowed but price challenge is not allowed.

Did the Team Member ask you to do a price match or a price challenge? They are two different things. A Team Member can ask to price match Target.com or a competitor. A Team Member cannot ask you to change a price to match the sign/sticker in the store if an item rings up to be a different price when you scan it. Basically, price match is allowed but price challenge is not allowed.
It was a price match with Amazon, which didn’t initially show up on the mydevice. She told me to type in the item’s name, so I did. It was sold and shipped by Amazon, but I figured they were slightly different products, but when I said that to my GSTL she just glanced at it quick and said go ahead. TM got kind of annoyed I looked so long at the Amazon webpage, but I wanted to make sure everything was good before I did it especially since it was a large difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back