MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
This benefit is becoming more popular and I wanted to get a single point to discuss and answer questions about the position.

Here's the skinny.

An On-Demand Team Member (will appear on the grid as "ODTM") is a Team Member who is no longer regularly scheduled and instead accepts a "stand-by" or "on-call" sort of position. The following attributes will happen for ODTMs.
  • The ODTM will not be put on the schedule automatically — the ETL or TL will not schedule the ODTM like they do other Team Members.
  • ODTMs must select at least one secondary work center in addition to their primary work center, from which they will be able to view open shifts (ODTMs can only "officially" pick up shifts from these work centers, but they can arrange to come in for any work center shift by talking to their Leadership).
  • A new app called "myTime", which replaced UKG Workforce ("Kronos"), will show open shifts from the two work centers, which the ODTM can pick up.
  • ODTMs can also cover shifts for other Team Members, reach out to Leadership for available hours, or accept offers when the store calls for help.
On Demand Team Member job codes (your primary job as ODTM) include:
  • OD Guest Advocate (cashier/FOS Attendant/Guest Service)
  • OD General Merchandise Expert (hardlines)
  • OD Fulfillment Expert (OPU/SFS)
  • OD Style Consultant (softlines/A&A)
  • OD Food & Beverage Expert (dry grocery & MDF)
  • for Small Format stores only: OD Small Format TM
The ODTM role is not guaranteed — stores only convert TMs in good standing (not on CCA, for example) to ODTM and the store is capped at having only 10% or less of its total number of non-exempt Team Members (including TLs, although they're not eligible for On Demand roles) as On Demand. Consequently, stores may be unable to convert interested full-time/regular TMs into ODTMs.

A few "catches" or "terms and conditions" that come along with this:
  • The ODTM should provide a general availability of when they are most likely to be available to pick up shifts to prevent the store from reaching out when they're not generally available — since in myTime, an ODTM's availability will show "unavailable" 24x7 to prevent automatic scheduling by the software.
  • The ODTM must work at least a continuous 4-hour shift every 4 weeks* to remain employed (e.g. working two 3-hour shifts in one 4-week* period will not meet this requirement — it must be a continuous 4 hours clocked in).
  • ODTMs who do not work the required 4-hours every 4 weeks* may automatically be terminated.
  • ODTMs who pick up shifts via any method (accepting them in myTime, agreeing to cover a shift, accepting an offer to come in) which will cause them to be placed on the schedule for that shift, will be held accountable to that shift — tardiness, absence, or leaving early to/from these shifts may result in the typical disciplinary action for attendance, up to and including termination.
  • ODTMs can work a maximum of 40 hours per week — no overtime.
* = as of July 2021, for college students only, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 4 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 4 weeks impossible.
Furthermore, if a non-college student ODTM cannot work every 4 weeks, HR may grant flexibility, so long as the ODTM maintains good communication with the store and responds to reach-outs for shifts.
* = also, as of February 12, 2023, the one-shift-every-6-weeks requirement will be lessened to one shift every 4 weeks; as before, if the ODTM cannot work every 4 weeks, they should communicate constantly with the store to avoid automatic termination.

As far as benefits are concerned:
  • ODTMs will keep their Team Member Discount as long as they continue to be actively employed by Target.
  • Employment benefits, including health benefits, Team Member Life Resources, 401K, and others will be kept from the time they go from regular Team Member to ODTM, and will be assessed for health benefits after 12 months based on hours worked as an ODTM.
  • ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
  • ODTMs will no longer be eligible for personal or educational leaves of absence (except when and where required by law).
  • ODTMs will not receive a yearly performance review but will continue to be eligible to receive a base pay increase yearly.
Special considerations for certain jurisdictions:
  • Stores in Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA; and Seattle, WA will not participate in the ODTM program due to local laws regarding scheduling.
  • Oregon stores must schedule ODTMs at least one shift per month to comply with the Oregon Predictive Scheduling Bill, and can pick up shifts voluntarily. Additionally, Oregon ODTMs must elect to be (a) on or (b) not on a "voluntary standby list" — stores cannot reach out with shift offers, via email, phone, or text, to ODTMs who opted not to be on the voluntary standby list.

Last edited:
What would be the benefit to this other than keeping your 10% ?
Extra cash without the need to be tied down to a schedule.

A few TMs have second jobs and they like the flexibility of coming in "when they want" (of sorts), especially free weekends.

For example, I know I'm scheduled every weekend, and I wouldn't mind a Saturday and Sunday off every few weeks without having to request the time off.

But it would be close to impossible to keep benefits, correct?

It sounds kinda like a substitute teacher gig.
Yes. But again, some people may not be concerned with benefits.

A few TMs I know that took this on have primary, 40-hour-a-week jobs, with full benefits. Target is just a second job. Average hours to get benefits that they already get somewhere else is not a priority to them.

This isn't for everyone. It's for those who know and are okay with (a) not working a whole lot and (b) sacrificing (at least potentially) any health benefits.

What would be the benefit to this other than keeping your 10% ?

I would love this, honestly. I'm getting burnt out working two jobs and never having weekends off, especially for last minute stuff, ESPECIALLY now that things are starting to open up. I don't work enough hours to get vacation or sick pay or insurance anyway (and I have insurance through my day job), so the ability to pick and choose shifts would be fucking amazing. I got a raise this year enough that I don't NEED the extra cash anymore but a little extra coming in is always nice.

@starmaster1000 Do you know if this info will be posted anywhere in store? Or how I might find out whether my store will offer this without outing myself?

Extra cash without the need to be tied down to a schedule.

A few TMs have second jobs and they like the flexibility of coming in "when they want" (of sorts), especially free weekends.

For example, I know I'm scheduled every weekend, and I wouldn't mind a Saturday and Sunday off every few weeks without having to request the time off.

This is exactly why I would like to switch to this position. I am so exhausted from my full time job, which due to the pandemic has become the equivalent of 2 full time jobs, but I don't want to completely give up Target, as I know things will eventually settle down and I want to have a second job for unexpected expenses/vacations.

I have thought about a LOA, but this would be so much better.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Do you know if this info will be posted anywhere in store? Or how I might find out whether my store will offer this without outing myself?
Probably not. I found out about this on the Target subreddit honestly, and talked to a Team Leader about it and they referred me to the ETL-HR.
I don't believe stores are pushing for it, at least not yet, though it's been around since at least late 2020.

I'd talk to your HR team about this. There's a sheet on Workbench they'll make you read before digitally signing the "On Demand Team Member" offer letter (you're basically accepting a new position in Workday when you go On Demand).
Not to worry – you can always go back to full time (which the disclaimer says it's possible if business needs can accommodate it, but, I'm sure they can).

Also, all stores should be able to offer it. You can act like you stumbled upon it on Workbench or the classic "I heard from a friend at another store..." ;)

Last edited:
ASANTS on not being added to the schedule automatically. My store schedules certain ODTMs (though they’ve given their avail and permission to have that done I assume)

ASANTS on not being added to the schedule automatically. My store schedules certain ODTMs (though they’ve given their avail and permission to have that done I assume)
Yes. This is definitely available to TMs if they discuss with their ETLs. I'll add more from the FAQ when I get a chance.

Over reading the FAQs, this process (that is, scheduling at least one shift automatically) is followed in Oregon stores.

My store got communication that the 6-week shift rotation got changed to 6-months. Can anyone confirm? I know many students are choosing this over an educational LOA because those requirements got changed as well.

I was told last fall that our store didn't have on demand, but last weekend I learned that someone in my department gave her notice and the store director told her she could be on demand. I can't wait to talk with him tomorrow about whether this would be an option for me come fall. I hope it isn't one of those things where it is only for the favorites.

I was told last fall that our store didn't have on demand, but last weekend I learned that someone in my department gave her notice and the store director told her she could be on demand. I can't wait to talk with him tomorrow about whether this would be an option for me come fall. I hope it isn't one of those things where it is only for the favorites.

Well, just tell them that you're giving notice...that may just free up an On Demand spot

So I asked my director today if I would be eligible for on demand and explained my situation and told him it was getting to be too much to work both jobs, 7 days a week, more than 8 hours a day. I mentioned that I had asked about the on demand position last fall and was told our store didn't do that. He said that last year was weird, but he wants to utilize it this year due to hiring being so difficult. He said he had to talk to the HR-ETL and there was a form I would have to sign, but he said I could do it. I asked if I could give days I would like to be scheduled, like the month before and he said that would work and then if I wanted to pick up extra shifts I could. This seems like it would work out so well, I am trying not to get my hopes up in case it doesn't work out, but I am very pumped I might be able to have some weekends off, but still work a few every once in a while.

The new mytime app should help you with picking up shifts when you feel like it too. We have a few tms that are od and have set schedules where they work every few weekends and stuff like that too

Back