MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

I filled out a paper form. Nobody has said anything about Workday to me.

(Rant) My store doesn’t get the point of on demand. So, they let pretty much anyone change to that status. Then the TMs can pretty much write their own schedules. Don’t want to work nights? On demand! Don’t want to work weekends? On demand! If anything they are getting more hours than they got before but they only work the shifts they want. It’s not fair to their peers, but…on demand.

This benefit is becoming more popular and I wanted to get a single point to discuss and answer questions about the position.

Here's the skinny.

An On-Demand Team Member (will appear on the grid as "ODTM") is a Team Member who is no longer regularly scheduled and instead accepts a "stand-by" or "on-call" sort of position. The following attributes will happen for ODTMs.
  • The ODTM will not be put on the schedule automatically — the ETL or TL will not schedule the ODTM like they do other Team Members.
  • ODTMs must select a secondary work center in addition to their primary work center, from which they will be able to view open shifts (ODTMs can only "officially" pick up shifts from these two work centers, but they can arrange to come in for any work center shift by talking to their Leadership).
  • A new app called "myTime", which replaced UKG Workforce ("Kronos"), will show open shifts from the two work centers, which the ODTM can pick up.
  • ODTMs can also cover shifts for other Team Members, reach out to Leadership for available hours, or accept offers when the store calls for help.

A few "catches" or "terms and conditions" that come along with this:
  • The ODTM must work at least a continuous 4-hour shift every 6 months* to remain employed (e.g. working two 3-hour shifts in one 6-month* period will not meet this requirement — it must be a continuous 4 hours clocked in).
  • ODTMs who do not work the required 4-hours every 6 months* may automatically be terminated.
  • ODTMs who pick up shifts via any method (accepting them in myTime, agreeing to cover a shift, accepting an offer to come in) which will cause them to be placed on the schedule for that shift, will be held accountable to that shift — tardiness, absence, or leaving early to/from these shifts may result in the typical disciplinary action for attendance, up to and including termination.
* = as of July 2021, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 6 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 6 weeks impossible.

As far as benefits are concerned:
  • ODTMs will keep their Team Member Discount as long as they continue to be actively employed by Target.
  • Employment benefits, including health benefits, Team Member Life Resources, 401K, and others will be kept from the time they go from regular Team Member to ODTM, and will be assessed for health benefits after 12 months based on hours worked as an ODTM.
  • ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
  • ODTMs will no longer be eligible for personal or educational leaves of absence (except when and where required by law).
  • ODTMs will not receive a yearly performance review but will continue to be eligible to receive a base pay increase yearly.
Special considerations for certain jurisdictions:
  • Stores in Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; and Seattle, WA will not participate in the ODTM program due to local laws regarding scheduling.
  • Oregon stores must schedule ODTMs at least one shift per month to comply with the Oregon Predictive Scheduling Bill, and can pick up shifts voluntarily. Additionally, Oregon ODTMs must elect to be (a) on or (b) not on a "voluntary standby list" — stores cannot reach out with shift offers, via email, phone, or text, to ODTMs who opted not to be on the voluntary standby list.
No Thank you! This sounds like a total waste of time, effort, along with most of my sanity, with 100% no benefit of any kind except to Target and lining of their pockets! I refuse to bend over any further without being kissed first! Maybe this is how you may have made it into management, as for me lube and sweet talk are not getting you nowhere! Pitch your crap closer to the stock yard. Thanks but no thanks!

Last edited:
No Thank you! This sounds like a total waste of time, effort, along with most of my sanity, with 100% no benefit of any kind except to Target and lining of their pockets! I refuse to bend over any further without being kissed first! Maybe this is how you may have made it into management, as for me lube and sweet talk are not getting you nowhere! Pitch your crap closer to the stock yard. Thanks but no thanks!
Seems like an overreaction.

the op was explaining the on demand option.

Seems like an overreaction.

the op was explaining the on demand option.
Yes. They did a great job in explaining this position. I fail to see why you feel the need to state the obvious? I hope you are not thinking about taking the position. I bet you would be a better asset bringing in carts, or keeping up eith those bathrooms.

Yes. They did a great job in explaining this position. I fail to see why you feel the need to state the obvious? I hope you are not thinking about taking the position. I bet you would be a better asset bringing in carts, or keeping up eith those bathrooms.
Some folks are still in school. It replace the educational loa.

Switching to On Demand has saved my sanity. Now, instead of working 8.5 hours both weekend days, along with my regular full time job, I can pick and chose when I work. I can work it around kids' sports schedules or just have a free weekend. Working a few shorter shifts a month still gives me a bit of money to do some fun things and lets me have more time off, which I haven't had in a long time.

Can OD employees work in starbucks or ulta due to hour requirements to be certified and main that statu
If you haven't gotten this answered, ODTMs can fill in any workcenter if they need someone.

While you can only be an ODTM assigned to one of three main workcenters (Service & Engagement, Fulfillment, and General Merchandise), you can accept offers for any workcenter if a Leader asks you to cover.

Our ODTMs often come in for Grocery, Starbucks, Style, Beauty, and even a few Inbound on the weekends, despite being officially tied to the three OD workcenters.

Yeah, so I'm scheduled my normal 3 days next week. *shakes head*

My ETL is on parental leave, so this is certainly the first schedule done by whoever took over for him. Presumably my ETL had just been removing me from the schedule and new person...didn't.

So I go in and ask about this (yesterday) and am told I need to go to Workday and accept the transfer but no such notification exists. HR TM digs around a bit and finds out that the HR ETL just submitted the ODTM request paperwork on TUESDAY.
It's been almost two months since my last day working.

Now I have to make sure to check on Monday and HOPEFULLY the transfer will be in Workday and HOPEFULLY HR will remember to take me off the schedule so I don't have the NCNS on my record which could, of course, interfere with approval of ODTM. SMDH.

What would be the benefit to this other than keeping your 10% ?
I have another job and this other job and Target allows me so much freedom. and I'm retired from the travel industry so I can be away for weeks at a time without having to explain or finding someone to work for me.

I didn't read this entire thread but have a question.

My HR ETL was complaining that the ODTM don't want to pickup shifts.

Does Target post available shifts in Mytime or just call people?

Or both?

Last edited:
Welp, not-at-all-surprisingly, I neither have a message in Workday to accept a transfer and nor has my title changed from GM Expert. Spot, seriously, get in this damn century and let people submit this type of paperwork online so you don't have to worry about store submitting stuff and it getting to and through the right hands. TM submits the request on Workday, it goes to the HR ETL or whoever as a task, they click "approve" and done. FFS.

Back