Archived The Red LPDA Grip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else had the "pleasure" of using the new LPDA grip for flexible fulfillment? I had to use it for the first time yesterday and it was terrible. There is a reason that backroom uses different PDAs than the floor. I talked to my TL about me carrying a second PDA so I could still get the alerts while still being efficient in my work. He said that I am required to use the new attachment and definitely not allowed to carry a second PDA. Pretty sure the time it took me to pull and backstock was doubled by this fantastic new equipment from corporate.

I was wondering about that! My store went through a whole "talking to" about how the cross hair flex fill gun was backroom only. Now it can be any LPDA with a grip. I hate pulling flex's anyway, but Jesus Spot! figure out some equipment that actually works!

Do the alerts actually work on it? The 9200 PDAs don't give us any alerts at all and the 9060s always give us the "Oops, we can't give you any more alerts. Please log out" error. It's gotten to the point that we don't even bother logging in as Fulfillment TM anymore. It's easier to log in as backroom and check My FA every 20 minutes or so.

When it stayed logged in it would vibrate and give me an alert, but it kept signing me out and saying it couldn't give me alerts just like you are describing.

My store's BR team HATES the 9200s. That being said, I usually keep one to myself.

Is this "grip" similar to the handle/casing on the gift registry PDAs? If so, that would explain why one of our gift registry PDAs was missing its handle/casing today.

I like the 9200s and most people on my team do. We have figured out which one work well and which ones don't. I just don't understand why target decided to ship out a bunch of pdas that don't even work with their new flexible fulfillment program. Now we are stuck with this wannabe backroom pda

The multiple/random numbers or letters is being addressed (it is due to a flaw with the backlight on the keypad itself according to Motorola and will be turned off by default next patch.) An attempt was made to circumvent the issue right before the 4th Quarter lock-out by changing the registry to allow only 1 button press at a time before we knew exactly what was the root of the issue. Needless the say, it is no longer needed and should be removed next fusion patch (it is not the 2014 Winter Software Pilot Release, that is purely from the Applications Team), but there isn't an ETA yet on when it will go out but you should be able to once again hold down keys.

The Alerts/FFA isn't exactly the 9290 itself, it's actually Windows 7CE closing the alert application every time you log in through Web Apps (all alerts are actually controlled by a separate application dedicated to monitoring alerts). There is a way to force it to launch, but when you Toggle out of Web Apps into RFAPP's, the alerts application closes again and the 9290 goes silent. A couple of ideas have been tossed around in coming up with a rough fix for it, but it sounds like more and more that it will be handed off to the BTT team to spin up a separate application fix to replace it altogether.

Last edited:
Separate question, @Sarakiel , when using an lpda for my GSA duties, I will be doing nothing to do with the lpda, it will be in my holster being quiet, and all of a sudden, I will get an alert saying that it can no longer get alerts for me. It won't have been that long since I last used my lpda, so it shouldn't be logging out. What's the deal with that, and is there a work around besides not using the lpda at all?

Reactions: Cel
Separate question, @Sarakiel , when using an lpda for my GSA duties, I will be doing nothing to do with the lpda, it will be in my holster being quiet, and all of a sudden, I will get an alert saying that it can no longer get alerts for me. It won't have been that long since I last used my lpda, so it shouldn't be logging out. What's the deal with that, and is there a work around besides not using the lpda at all?

Yeah that happens constantly, I'd love an answer on that as well please :)

If you haven't been using the PDA/LPDA for awhile and receive that error message, that means you've been automatically logged out from WebApps (think of it as an inactivity auto-timed log out) and suddenly the alert application** can't retrieve alerts anymore because the credentials are no longer there/valid anymore. It's basic security feature and a simple log-in/log-in will reload everything and restart the timer IF you remain in-active on the device. My only good suggestion is to occasionally load a different screen from time to time in WebApp's as that will also restart the timer and prevent further log-outs (RFAPP's will not count towards resetting the inactivity timer as it is a separate application, only activity in WebApp's will work.) Something as simple as switching to Item Search and then going back to the Home screen will work perfectly.

** Alerts are actually retrieved through the Workbench, so if you've ever noticed that if you don't use the store Workbench for awhile and suddenly it asks you to re-log back in when you attempt to load a new screen or use a link, it's the same concept that is occurring on the device.

If you HAD just been using the LPDA and the message occurs, then something else is occurring that might be causing the message (Workbench might have just gone down or the alerts themselves are not working which would require a call to the CSC.)

Last edited:
It's hugely inconsistent. There are times when it will take 30 minutes of me being inactive, and times when after 5 minutes I'm logged out. Or my favorite, when it automatically logs me out after I log in, and after several attempts, it's just time to give it up for the night.

I'm gonna have to play with it and see what the threshold seems to be, because it isn't very long, unfortunately.

From Canada here.. Can someone post a picture of what I am sure we are soon to get.

UlHtjov.jpg

Whats the point of that? I like using the lpda in the BR. Might as well just use a regular pda.

@Sarakiel

Ok, I paid close attention to my lpda last night. From 4pm to 630pm, a miracle occurred and it did not log me out at all...including about 45 minutes to an hour where I didn't touch it at all. At 630pm, it logged me out after it had been probably 5 minutes since I last used it. I logged back in, and again, 5 minutes later I was logged out again. Then it was good for another half hour or so. After that it logged me out at random intervals from a couple of minutes to maybe 45 minutes.

As near as I can tell, the only possible explanation is that the time for logging out after inactivity is set to a random number of minutes, and is generally weighted towards coming up with low numbers. The other GSAs tend to notice this as well, and @Cel makes me feel not so crazy on this one.

Why can't the LOD holding an LPDA and a walkie listen/feel for flexible fulfillment alerts and call a BR TM when one comes in. This way the BR TM can use a PDA that actually works well for pulls and back stocking. This would also keep the LOD aware of what the work load is of the BR TM.

Seem that more and more is being placed on TMs

Why can't the LOD holding an LPDA and a walkie listen/feel for flexible fulfillment alerts and call a BR TM when one comes in. This way the BR TM can use a PDA that actually works well for pulls and back stocking. This would also keep the LOD aware of what the work load is of the BR TM.

Seem that more and more is being placed on TMs

This is what the LODs do in my store. The LOD signs in and when they get an alert they call the backroom. It works pretty good and is actually one of the things my store does right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back