the rise of minimum wage = more tasks for us?

I remember when we let operators answer all the calls. As someone who handles the pfresh and dry market alone during midday, my daily heavy routines consists of: breaking down pallets, check expired food, stock, backstock, guest help, bail boxes, qmos, go backs (and the struggle to do all of this in your whole shift.)

we now have to login and answer phones. they got rid of the ''operator'' months ago, and now everyones an operator. They keep yelling on the walkie to login and pick up calls. anyone who is caught not answering is getting coached.

And since we got rid of plano team, we are now in charge of changing signs, and strips or whatever. just some of the added changes into my store.

we also have to start going up for back-up now too. And market has always been exempt because we push frozen and cold food. its ridiculous. I once had to leave out yogurt while i was asked to help with the carts. And when i came back 30-1hr later, the yogurts were warm. i pushed it anyway, IDGAF @ this point.

So this coincides with the fact that my states gone up $1 within the year and is going up more by next year.

I remember when we let operators answer all the calls. As someone who handles the pfresh and dry market alone during midday, my daily heavy routines consists of: breaking down pallets, check expired food, stock, backstock, guest help, bail boxes, qmos, go backs (and the struggle to do all of this in your whole shift.)

we now have to login and answer phones. they got rid of the ''operator'' months ago, and now everyones an operator. They keep yelling on the walkie to login and pick up calls. anyone who is caught not answering is getting coached.

And since we got rid of plano team, we are now in charge of changing signs, and strips or whatever. just some of the added changes into my store.

we also have to start going up for back-up now too. And market has always been exempt because we push frozen and cold food. its ridiculous. I once had to leave out yogurt while i was asked to help with the carts. And when i came back 30-1hr later, the yogurts were warm. i pushed it anyway, IDGAF @ this point.

So this coincides with the fact that my states gone up $1 within the year and is going up more by next year.

Why didn’t you just put the yogurt Uboat back into the dairy cooler? 🙄 takes like 40 seconds to do that. Complaining about THAT part sounds like an excuse.....none of my team including myself ever made that an issue, why would you knowingly leave temp based perishables on the floor like that?

our coolers are across the store. when they remodelled our store, they put the freezers and coolers all the way in receiving, right behing electronics department. our pfresh is right by the entrance of target. its a journey to get from point A to point B. meanwhile our pfresh is right next to cashier/carts area and when they need help, we're the first people to go. management do not care. weve already complained about leaving temp sensitive food out in the open, but the foot traffic to check-out is more important to them. so we stopped caring.

I guarantee you your mgmt does not want you to leave temp controlled product out past the allowed time. Why don’t you just ask how they would like you to handle the situation rather than your dgaf attitude?

They justify all this with Modernization and the fact that spot will raise everyone’s wages to a $15 minimum come 2020. Surely giving you THAT much money merits you taking ownership of THAT much more, being a DBO, completely owning your area AND helping out other parts of the store as needed. Expect more work, get paid less (than the competitors).

I understand your frustrations but food safety is no joke. Better to damage it all out than stock food that might be spoiled.

I can sympathize with not being given the time to properly store perishables when told to drop everything and do something else immediately. But what is the big deal about the phone?

Everyone who is pushing cooler or frozen, who are called away and when they come back their product is out of temp, should just QMOS it all out. After a few weeks of this management will have a change of mind on Market backing up other areas.

That is a huge problem with modernization that people seem to be missing. Someone vents here about having been put into a position of deciding what is priority because not everything can be done, and someone else says Person A should be CCA'd for the decision they made. But in another thread Person B will vent about the exact same situation, making the opposite choice, and someone says that Person B should be CCA'd for making that decision and not the one that Person A made.

So how do people win? How do they make the decision of what are high priorities and what can be left undone without some leader somewhere saying that it was wrong enough of a decision to warrant a CCA? Not everything can be done, not everything can be done first at the same time, leaving anything undone is grounds for a CCA, simply putting off a task for second highest (like delaying backing up the front to put a task on hold instead of heading straight there) is grounds for CCA, so how does someone make the exact right choice that won't give anyone leave to say "you made the wrong choice and you would get in serious trouble if I were there"?

I guarantee you your mgmt does not want you to leave temp controlled product out past the allowed time. Why don’t you just ask how they would like you to handle the situation rather than your dgaf attitude?

No there are ETL's who don't care about that and think its not a big deal, why? Not their department. You figure it out but my department will not suffer while your ETL isn't around.

No there are ETL's who don't care about that and think its not a big deal, why? Not their department. You figure it out but my department will not suffer while your ETL isn't around.

Many TLs will also gleefully sacrifice other workcenters to benefit their own when given the opportunity. There obviously cannot be a lead for every workcenter in the building at all times, so leads from other workcenters have to be able to direct TMs other than their own to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. But, some leads can't leave it at just making sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. At my store if the only leads in the building are from GM, for example, there's a high probability they are going to order a guest advocate to stock Bullseye's Playground even though that is specifically no what guest advocates are supposed to be doing.

OP absolutely handled the situation poorly. All of the out of temperature product should have been defected out. He then should have gone through his lead at the first opportunity so the lead could take that up the chain of command to the SD who could then issue coachings/CCAs where they needed to be issued: to the idiots who made a market TM backup when he had cold product on the floor.

Risking potentially giving consumers food borne illness is because “modernization?” Not buying it. There has to be a line drawn between blaming modernization and accountability/integrity. I know people who have gotten very sick from consuming product that was mishandled and one person that died after contracting a food borne illness. OP knowingly put people at risk. So no, not cool.

Risking potentially giving consumers food borne illness is because “modernization?” Not buying it. There has to be a line drawn between blaming modernization and accountability/integrity. I know people who have gotten very sick from consuming product that was mishandled and one person that died after contracting a food borne illness. OP knowingly put people at risk. So no, not cool.
That is a huge problem with modernization that people seem to be missing. Someone vents here about having been put into a position of deciding what is priority because not everything can be done, and someone else says Person A should be CCA'd for the decision they made. But in another thread Person B will vent about the exact same situation, making the opposite choice, and someone says that Person B should be CCA'd for making that decision and not the one that Person A made.

So how do people win? How do they make the decision of what are high priorities and what can be left undone without some leader somewhere saying that it was wrong enough of a decision to warrant a CCA? Not everything can be done, not everything can be done first at the same time, leaving anything undone is grounds for a CCA, simply putting off a task for second highest (like delaying backing up the front to put a task on hold instead of heading straight there) is grounds for CCA, so how does someone make the exact right choice that won't give anyone leave to say "you made the wrong choice and you would get in serious trouble if I were there"?

People win my communicati ng effectively with their leader.

You won't get a CA from me if a leader told you to do it, no matter how stupid the leader's decision. But this person chose to shelve the product when they knew it was out of temp without telling a leader.

That said, it can be out of temp a total of four hours before it becomes dangerous so in this case, the OP did not risk anyone's health.

Have you truly not seen all the posts where people did as they were told or did the standing orders their TL always leaves, or when presented with the immediate unexpected and no way to get hold of a leader in the immediate so used best judgment, only to be threatened with a write up or actually written up by a different leader for not doing different? It's all the time now.

I totally understand the posters frustration. Our coolers/freezers were also across the store from market. Unless you have this issue you probably don't realize that you might need to push that cart past seasonal which could easily add 5-10 minutes to your timeline or baby which is another 5-10 minutes. I would simply say, over the walkie, that i had dairy/frozen on the floor and I was close to the danger zone timeline. There is no ETL (that is any good) that would respond to come up anyway. What would probably be a much better fix is to have whoever is pushing dry head up. That does not mean you take your sweet ole time or push dairy in the busiest part of the day. I remember when modernization was being shoved down our throats with promises of a wonderland. One of my favorite lines was "there will never be backups. Everyone is responsible for their areas ONLY. Cashiers take care of the front, food takes care of food etc. If another team is struggling, they will have to learn how to deal with it" My friend and I came out of that TL meeting making bets on the timeline when that line of BS flew out the window.
BTW I wonder how many TLS who say they would write you up for leaving it on the floor (oooooh scary) would also write you up for not getting it done. I don't give a rats ass how much they pay you, there is a finite amount of work that can be done

You won't get a CA from me if a leader told you to do it, no matter how stupid the leader's decision. But this person chose to shelve the product when they knew it was out of temp without telling a leader.

That said, it can be out of temp a total of four hours before it becomes dangerous so in this case, the OP did not risk anyone's health.

You are incorrect about 4 hours. It’s 2 hours Danger Zone - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/CT_Index
Targets best practice was 30 minutes when I was a PA. Think logically about frozen food quality after 4 hours sitting out. Ice cream soup for example.

Jesus, I really feel bad for a lot of you folks here. It sounds like many have leaders that are all but twirling their mustaches and cackling gleefully at the prospect of writing TMs up for the slightest infraction. Is it really that awful out there? My store is a Utopia full of rainbows and unicorns by comparison.

Jesus, I really feel bad for a lot of you folks here. It sounds like many have leaders that are all but twirling their mustaches and cackling gleefully at the prospect of writing TMs up for the slightest infraction. Is it really that awful out there? My store is a Utopia full of rainbows and unicorns by comparison.
Yes, depending on the leader it can be that bad. Some people just relish being vindictive asshats, and ASANTS, but Spot doesn’t do much to keep them in line, and of course the victims have no recourse. It gets pretty dog-eat-dog out there...

We were told EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION was to be documented. If we didnt have documentation on each tm at the end of the week we were talked to, and I am sure that conversation was documented. I was told to document someone who had a house fire for not coming in the next day. I refused. I was told to document someone who spent 4 hours in the emergency room for leaving her shift early to get medical help. I know it took that long because I took her. While the CEO is twisting himself into knots patting himself on the back for "keeping up with Amazon" the team is being treated as bad as any other shitty company. And for anyone who says if they don't like it they can leave,it's not that easy with a few kids, a rent payment etc. Sure someone is making bank, but it sure isn't the hourly workers.

With the COVID-19 economic crash, and 16 million more jobless Americans than two months ago, will Target back out of the minimum wage hike?

In case you don't think Target could abruptly back of this, just a friendly reminder about Target Canada's shutdown after 18 months of operation:

didnt target canada fail bcos canadians didnt wanna give up tim hortons

thats also why sbux isnt as popular in canada, they have coffee places they like more

Back