Archived the silliest interview/new tm questions you ever heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing interviews like crazy these past two weeks. My store is in desperate need of people, but honestly a lot of people are doing an AWFUL job during the interviews.
These are just a few that I can remember...

Q: ...worked with someone you disagreed with.
A: I don't get along with people who follow certain religions...

Q:...worked with someone you disagreed with.
A: I worked with this f-ing dumbass who blah blah...

Q:....used your attitude to turn a situation around
A: I was talking to Becky's ex-boyfriend and I know the guy hates me. To lighten the mood I asked Becky to punch me in the face.

Q:...interrupted while completing a task.
A: I was goofing off at work and then my boss walked in, so i had to pretend I was working.

Q:...taught someone a new skill.
A: I taught my uncle how to use an iPad then he died.

I also get a lot of people who before even starting the interview, start telling me in great detail on how they want to be scheduled.

I've been doing interviews like crazy these past two weeks. My store is in desperate need of people, but honestly a lot of people are doing an AWFUL job during the interviews.
These are just a few that I can remember...

Q: ...worked with someone you disagreed with.
A: I don't get along with people who follow certain religions...

Q:...worked with someone you disagreed with.
A: I worked with this f-ing dumbass who blah blah...

A: I was talking to Becky's ex-boyfriend and I know the guy hates me. To lighten the mood I asked Becky to punch me in the face.

Q:...interrupted while completing a task.
A: I was goofing off at work and then my boss walked in, so i had to pretend I was working.

Q:...taught someone a new skill.
A: I taught my uncle how to use an iPad then he died.

I also get a lot of people who before even starting the interview, start telling me in great detail on how they want to be scheduled.
Lmao, honestly, that's the best interrupted answer I ever heard. I hate that question because it's so vague and *almost* no one has a reply for that answer that ever helps me decide one way or another

Even though it's not what you might want to hear, its better than most you ever get

I had another guy who kept saying "Actually" after every word and the worst part is he would say it and it wouldn't make gramattical sense. I don't even remember what his answers were, all I remember him is as the "Actually guy".

I've seen some great people (hardworking) who are just horrible at interviews. The situational questions throw a lot of people off.

I can attest to this, seeing as it was my first interview ever so I had no idea what to expect (my other job didn't interview me, they just hired me). After I bombed my interview, I was astounded that they hired me.

Answer I got to this question a while back: "I came to work really pissed off, and other people noticed how pissed I was. After that someone talked to me and I wasn't as pissed afterwards"

Why thank you very much for that information, so good to know.

I've seen some great people (hardworking) who are just horrible at interviews. The situational questions throw a lot of people off.

My ETL didn't even open the interview packet and basically just had a conversation with me about life, my experiences inside and outside of Target, why I think I should get the job, etc. I was waiting for him to open the packet up and start asking the actual questions but eventually he was like "well I'll fill in this packet with what we discussed, I've heard enough, thank you for your time."

Target would be better off if they put some trust into their leader to conduct interviews the way they want to.

Yes, but....many of our TLs and ETLs wouldn't have the savvy to do that without setting up Target for a lawsuit for asking inappropriate questions.

This summer, we had a lady come in for an interview. We called up the TL who would be doing it, and he got up there, all I could do was give him a look of sympathy and say, "good luck." He asked me what I meant, and the other GSA said, "oh, she brought her three kids with her, and two of them just got into a fist fight when I walked them into the TSC."

I will never forget the "are you kidding me?!" double take look we got from the TL for that. It still makes me giggle when I think about it.

And no, she wasn't hired.

Wow....There is a huge difference between being a leader and a manager. Leaders need to have compassion and understanding. They get their team members to buy-in. I think that HR-ETL was having a rough day or something. That's not how one handles that situation.

Yes, but....many of our TLs and ETLs wouldn't have the savvy to do that without setting up Target for a lawsuit for asking inappropriate questions.

I think a big problem with having managers play such a large role in interviewing is that they don't know how to conduct a structured interview while limiting bias. I understand that they know the business and know what they need in a candidate but so many managers just ask asinine questions or completed inappropriate ones.

I think a big problem with having managers play such a large role in interviewing is that they don't know how to conduct a structured interview while limiting bias. I understand that they know the business and know what they need in a candidate but so many managers just ask asinine questions or completed inappropriate ones.
Well, the ones they have right now are pretty lame if you ask me, I liked the old interview questions a lot better

One year we had a temp STL who overlapped with the actual STL coming to the store and they spent lots of time helping with seasonal interviews cause they were one person extra on the schedule. One guy when asked "where do you see yourself going with Target" said STL in two years. Thank goodness we passed on him. He was 16 applying for CA.
Well if he got his bachelors degree it might be possible.

I remember teaching this poor kid, who actually ended up being decent in Market and I quote..

"Alright here is the key to get into the Cleaning crew closet so u can fill your mop bucket."
*fills mop bucket, and brings new TM and Mop and Bucket to Produce cooler"

"And here we simply "mop", just as you do anywhere"

new TM replies "Actually I've never done this before"

Was one of the most awkward 10 seconds I have had since I started working at Target 3 1/2 years ago.

I was a store manager for a different company and we conducted our interviews out of store in a public place. One woman was interviewing when her boyfriend walked up with his arms crossed and just watched her motioning at his watch then walked away, periodically walking by.

Another woman, and I feel so bad for this one, had a good interview until about halfway through when her stutter came out to play. She couldn't finish a single sentence without repeating at least a couple words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back