Archived the silliest interview/new tm questions you ever heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

consume

凸(-_-)凸
I had a seasonal hire today, I really hope he had some sort of camera on recording everything because it had to be bullshit..

I don't remember exactly what he said, because his answers were ridiculous, I actually spent the time trying to help him with his answers, hearing his then helping him

His answer for "...interrupted while..." Started off as "Well, I was playing a video game-" then I stopped him and asking if he was joking with me, already helping him with the first two.. I let him slide through, trying to give him tips (he as only cart Att anyways), telling him that the next interview was going to be harder, he claimed to work in food previously and was going to be a cart att, I asked him if he would prefer working in food ave (and letting him know he'd be cleaning restrooms as cart att, he was glad I offered)

His second interview, etlhr asked him first about my note that he doesn't have much work experience and said he might be good in food ave

His answer to "So what did you do when worked at (fast food restaurant)" was "Uhh, stuff..." Then proceeded to get a text message and pull his phone out before the first actual question for the interview

Last edited:
I remember another lady I interviewed, when asked for her opportunity, the most "didn't give a shit" way said "oh, I'm always late. I take the bus though"

We had a guy fall asleep during orientation. He had his head on his hand propped up with his elbow.
The snoring tipped the HR off & she went over next to him, slamming her binder down on the table next to him.
He jumped, sleepily startled, & said "Sorry.....partied late last night...."
Didn't make it to his 30.

I was training a new kid how to zone for his first time in the store (not my dpt, never would have signed off on him)

After explaining what zoning and putting up stray was, the only two (most simple) things this guys leader wanted me to teach him his first night..., he looked at me with the most serious face and asked

"I have to do this every night?"

Last edited:
Unless you can stop guests from destroying zones & learn how to be responsible shoppers then yes, yes you do have to do this every night.
I laughed and said he really didn't have to if he didn't want to, but it won't work out for his future

He walked out the first time he closed and had 2 baskets of stray left for him as soon as he came in

Had a cart attendant who would ride on the pusher when he was running carts in the door.
He was admonished not to do that yet, that same day, AP saw him on camera doing the same out in the parking lot.
He didn't last the week.

I've seen some great people (hardworking) who are just horrible at interviews. The situational questions throw a lot of people off.

My ETL didn't even open the interview packet and basically just had a conversation with me about life, my experiences inside and outside of Target, why I think I should get the job, etc. I was waiting for him to open the packet up and start asking the actual questions but eventually he was like "well I'll fill in this packet with what we discussed, I've heard enough, thank you for your time."

Target would be better off if they put some trust into their leader to conduct interviews the way they want to.

I've seen some great people (hardworking) who are just horrible at interviews. The situational questions throw a lot of people off.

My ETL didn't even open the interview packet and basically just had a conversation with me about life, my experiences inside and outside of Target, why I think I should get the job, etc. I was waiting for him to open the packet up and start asking the actual questions but eventually he was like "well I'll fill in this packet with what we discussed, I've heard enough, thank you for your time."

Target would be better off if they put some trust into their leader to conduct interviews the way they want to.

That's why I spent about 25m explaining why he has to respond in a manner that would sound appealing to a company that is looking to hire him, going over how he needs to rethink because the 2nd wouldn't be as easy or get as much help.

On his 2nd he used the word stuff to explain what he did at his previous job, which I offered to help him get a similar pos because he said he'd be more comfortable in, then proceed to answer a text message before the first actual question.

Hires these days, eh?

Last edited:
One year we had a temp STL who overlapped with the actual STL coming to the store and they spent lots of time helping with seasonal interviews cause they were one person extra on the schedule. One guy when asked "where do you see yourself going with Target" said STL in two years. Thank goodness we passed on him. He was 16 applying for CA.

One woman came out of orientation with a schedule that she handed to the hrtm, saying "These are the hours I can work because the time blocked out is my OTHER job."
The ETL-HR was nearby & said "Excuse me? When you interviewed, you said you had an open availability."
Newbie: "Well....everyone says that to get the job."
ETL: "We also told you that you could NOT change your availability during the first 90 days."
Newbie: "Yes but--"
ETL: "But nothing. You were hired on this info."
Newbie: "I guess I could work something out...."
ETL: "I don't think so. You submitted false info on your application so the offer is withdrawn. You can use the TM exit to your left." and walked away.
I was at my locker looking at the now ex-newbie & the hrtm.
The hrtm looked at the newbie & said "Yeh, that just happened."

One woman came out of orientation with a schedule that she handed to the hrtm, saying "These are the hours I can work because the time blocked out is my OTHER job."
The ETL-HR was nearby & said "Excuse me? When you interviewed, you said you had an open availability."
ETL: "We also told you that you could NOT change your availability during the first 90 days."
ETL: "I don't think so. You submitted false info on your application so the offer is withdrawn. You can use the TM exit to your left." and walked away.
Damn. I wish we had those kind of balls. Instead we're just hiring seasonal people higher base pay than our seasoned team....yeah. Color me beyond pissed off that cashiers are making more than me. Even if its only for a couple months, cause we know some will be kept on.

Lmao, here's another question I love watching crush new seasonal hires, being a seasonal hire originally, myself-

"Last night they made me work past what time I was supposed to get off, that doesn't happen all the time does it?"

"Only about all the time, and even later during Christmas... You'll get used to it though.

The quicker you get done and help someone else get done, the quicker we get out of here... It's not just you that gets out late. It's the store."

Damn. I wish we had those kind of balls. Instead we're just hiring seasonal people higher base pay than our seasoned team....yeah. Color me beyond pissed off that cashiers are making more than me. Even if its only for a couple months, cause we know some will be kept on.
This was a couple years back with a tough-as-nails HR.
She didn't suffer fools but she was truly there for you when the need arose.
She's gone now & I hear this year they're desperate for seasonals so that scenario wouldn't fly these days.

Dang, that sucks. How much is your store paying cashiers?

Recently I had to interview someone that regularly shops at the store (who is always rude), when I asked about a time she was interrupted she said she worked at a doctor's office (~20+yrs ago) and one day someone had a heart attack and died and then she started crying for the rest of the interview. It was very awkward. :confused:

Recently I had to interview someone that regularly shops at the store (who is always rude), when I asked about a time she was interrupted she said she worked at a doctor's office (~20+yrs ago) and one day someone had a heart attack and died and then she started crying for the rest of the interview. It was very awkward. :confused:
It's sad that she started crying but I can just totally imagine how awkward that would feel and couldn't help but laugh lol

A lady who interviewed some years back was asked why she left her last job (with a doctor's office for many years).
"Because he died."
Rest of the interview was rather awkward but she got hired & worked a few years before going back to work at a YOUNGER doctor's office.

I interviewed a girl who couldn't answer any of the questions and when we ended it, when I was walking out and thanking her for time, she grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go and began to beg for a job. I felt so uncomfortable and had to force my hand out of hers. Needless to say she didn't get the job.

I'm just a CA but I still have an interview story. I heard on the walkie: (all names are made up to keep people super secret, so don't worry)
Amy: Hey team, is there someone else here for a second interview?
Rob: Hey I can do it Amy, is it right now.
Amy: Oh, uh is there anyone else here?
Rob: You don't want me in the interview?
Amy: Go to channel 2 Rob.

Later saw "Amy" standing outside the room we use for interviewing with a sad face. Rob came out later with the interviewed guy.

Wow that was a pretty intense ETL you had there. I would have been shocked too to have been there to hear that haha

Last edited:
Yeh, we don't have 'em like that any more.
More's the pity.
The hrtm said that those types would end up calling out every shift that was outside their 'preference' so it actually saved her the headache.

Yeh, we don't have 'em like that any more.
More's the pity.
The hrtm said that those types would end up calling out every shift that was outside their 'preference' so it actually saved her the headache.
"You mean I can't only work during the mornings on weekdays? What kind of slave labor is this?"

"The highest of qualities"

It goes both ways though.
Sometimes the questions asked to us during the interviews are incredibly stupid as well.
I know hundreds of HR people sat around and cast runes to come up with them but damn...

Come up with eight way ways to use a pencil other than write with it.
The HR person was was a bit nonplussed when I suggested putting pencil sized holes in someone.

Even worse is how they come out sounding to someone with ESL or worse deaf.
I had a great conversation with our interpreter about how hard it was for her to convert some of the questions to ASL since it is such a literal language and she's not allowed to help the client but the situation calls for some finessing to have any reasonable outcome.

It goes both ways though.
Sometimes the questions asked to us during the interviews are incredibly stupid as well.
I know hundreds of HR people sat around and cast runes to come up with them but damn...

Come up with eight way ways to use a pencil other than write with it.
The HR person was was a bit nonplussed when I suggested putting pencil sized holes in someone.

Even worse is how they come out sounding to someone with ESL or worse deaf.
I had a great conversation with our interpreter about how hard it was for her to convert some of the questions to ASL since it is such a literal language and she's not allowed to help the client but the situation calls for some finessing to have any reasonable outcome.
I believe the translation is
sex-emoji.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back