Interview for Style Team Leader

Hello everyone!

Target was my first job ever when I was in high school and I started as a Cashier TM. I loved working at Target because I was really good at my job and they trained me in Target Photo, Guest Services, Target Cafe and Hardlines/Softlines. Towards the end of my 2 1/2 years I was promised a GSA position if I transferred to the Target close to where I was moving to go to college. They did not fulfill their promise and I ended up leaving on good terms and got a job elsewhere.

Flash forward and I now have my BBA and I have gotten a few other management jobs in retail (including being a Store Manager at Dollar Tree). I saw a listing for Style Team Leader with pay from $23-$39/hour. I applied and have an interview this coming week and I need some help. What kind of questions can I expect? I’ve heard the interview process has changed. Also what is a realistic expectation for wages when I negotiate if I get an offer? I’ve already done the video interview and was passed along for this next in person interview…is this the last one before they make a decision?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Target was my first job ever when I was in high school and I started as a Cashier TM. I loved working at Target because I was really good at my job and they trained me in Target Photo, Guest Services, Target Cafe and Hardlines/Softlines. Towards the end of my 2 1/2 years I was promised a GSA position if I transferred to the Target close to where I was moving to go to college. They did not fulfill their promise and I ended up leaving on good terms and got a job elsewhere.

Flash forward and I now have my BBA and I have gotten a few other management jobs in retail (including being a Store Manager at Dollar Tree). I saw a listing for Style Team Leader with pay from $23-$39/hour. I applied and have an interview this coming week and I need some help. What kind of questions can I expect? I’ve heard the interview process has changed. Also what is a realistic expectation for wages when I negotiate if I get an offer? I’ve already done the video interview and was passed along for this next in person interview…is this the last one before they make a decision?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
experience/education pay typically can push you no more than $2-3 dollars above the base minimum they have listed

I would say focus on the management skills you gained as a store manager. That's going to help you a lot in being able to delegate tasks to style TMs and complete workload. And it shows you have an understanding of how the big picture plays out so if resources need to pivot, it can be supported. A lot of being in leadership at Target is making/having a plan and then either changing or ignoring it depending on what other priority business needs pop up.

Demonstrating a knowledge of merchandising will also be helpful as you will work along with the VM to set VMGs and get new merch to the floor. Knowing merchandising and having an idea of visual standards can have a big impact on sales.

Lol why? Is it basically the VML position? I worked for Target before and the VML used to get me hours in his work center and it seemed like a pretty okay job, he didn’t complain much.
I think what Hardlines master means by "be careful" is that this current Target is not the Target of the past. It isn't the atmosphere of the Target that you remember. You could (and likely will) be walking into a crap-storm.

Have a plan and the mind-set that you can't do it all. You DO need help.

I wouldn't be shocked if they asked how you'd handle things like reshop, excess/overabundance of freight, etc. Think outside the box for your answers but stay realistic to what Target can actually do. I personally think they want fresh eyes and new ideas.... BUT they're only going to allow you to actually do what they're allowed to allow you to do... if that makes sense lol

Back